Deal or Steal On Sony Book Shelf Speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christop_Holmes, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes Stunt Coordinator

Sony | Sony SS-MB150H 2-Way BookShelf Speaker (Pair)

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4193

As you can tell, im not too intelligent when it comes to good speakers :- but i have a sony STR-DE695 receiver.. runs about 250 but speakers.... im looking for... if these are crap... can you tell me something with around the same price thats better? [​IMG]

2. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

I personally don't think you're going to find anything really good at that price point. If that's all you can spend then I guess those are probably as good as anything else you'd get for 50 bucks.

brad cook

3. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

I think there are some Celestion F10s that are cheap but sound good...Best Buy used to have em

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

ive seen those sony's new at ultimate electronic stores for that price actually... its a stardard price IIRC. ive heard them, there has to be something better for the money.

5. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

There really is no such thing as a good Japanese speaker "these days" compared to US and Canaidian makers for the price. Better engineering and far better drivers.
    JMHO

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I think Home Theater Direct may have some sub $50 speakers in their Level 1 section. I can't comment on their sound though.

Edit: Although more than you may want to spend, I just went to their site and noticed they have some level 3 b-stock for $129 (but at that price the door opens a bit more).

7. Thomas K

Thomas K Auditioning

I'd save your money for a nicer set of entry level bookshelf speakers from a good company like B&W or Paradigm.

8. Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes Stunt Coordinator

This is a room theater system- so im not into all the best for this [​IMG] btw... what would you reccomend klipsch or B&W??

9. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

the best is a LONG LONG way from the sonys... even mediocre IMO is a far cry from those sonys...

i dont think B&W will be in the price range. the cheapest i know of are like $200/pr on sale.

maybe stick with stereo if its just for a room? people underestimate how good stereo can sound for movies, if its a good set of speakers.