What's new

Deadpool (2016) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I went to see Deadpool last night and really liked it. My only issue with it is the back story drags on too long and could be summed up in half the time without missing anything. Other than that it was a solid movie which makes fun of itself and has a hoot doing it.

I'm guessing the viewers who don't like it either don't read comics and understand the Deadpool character or don't like Ryan Reynolds' "Waiting..." dialogue style. I love both and was very pleased with what I saw. Especially the easter egg after the end credits.

I liked "Deadpool" and as I think I said elsewhere in the thread, I eventually liked Reynolds in it, but his style doesn't always work for me.

I definitely didn't like him in "Waiting"! From my review;

"I will admit I’m getting tired of Reynolds’ act. He plays this same kind of smarmy wiseass in most of his movies, but he’s just not very good at it, and he’s never quite as a funny as he seems to think he is."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I finally saw it tonight in the "lite" digital IMAX, my first IMAX experience of any sort in three or four years, and really enjoyed it. It was gleefully, exuberantly raunchy and inappropriate, but it was never mean. Ryan Reynolds finally finds the right character for his talents, and makes up for the version of Deadpool he was shackled to in the dreadful X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I thought the entire cast from beginning to end was excellent, too. The smaller budget meant that they cast the right actors instead of name actors. I loved Brianna Hildebrand as the Negasonic Teenage Warhead, but I'm not sure I want her to show up in the mainstream X-Men movies, given all of the fourth wall breaking here, and the rather dubious connection between this film and the X-Men films.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hey I liked Waiting![emoji13]

To paraphrase a quote attributed to Bob Dylan: "I don't come to you with all my problems, do I?" ;)

Reynolds was also great in The Proposal.

I thought he was okay - didn't much care for the movie:

"Reynolds never breaks a sweat as Andrew. Actually, the first act requires him to stretch a bit, as he usually doesn’t play a role as beaten down as Andrew, but once he gains some power over Margarent, standard smug, sarcastic Reynolds emerges. He’s fine in this sort of part, but he doesn’t exactly challenge himself. "

(As an aside, I no longer have the capacity to actually remember my opinions. I always have to consult my stupid website to recall what I thought of a movie! :D)

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I thought they did a really good job with this. It has been a while since I laughed that much in the cinema. It was a shame that I had seen most of the opening scene prior to the movie, but without the great reception that leaked footage got then maybe we don't get the film we ended up with. The film stayed very faithful to the Deadpool comics I have read and you could tell it was made by people who cared about doing justice to the character.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpeg
Saw it again last night. What a fun time at the movies!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Strange. I enjoyed it when i saw it but it has pretty much faded from my memory. [emoji848]
I can say the same for pretty much any movie I watch nowadays. Maybe it's because of the extreme amount of content available to us with the many cable channels, the internet, streaming services, etc. I've enjoyed many films the past couple of years, but they sure don't stay with me like they used to. With the exception of Interstellar, for some reason that movie just grabbed me more than most others.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Strange. I enjoyed it when i saw it but it has pretty much faded from my memory. [emoji848]
I could say that about almost every comic book movie. I like the majority of them when I watch them but I think between my total boredom with superhero comic books and the overload of comic book movies (and franchises in general) has just made those movies disposable in a weird way for me. There's always another one right around the corner so there's not much event status with any of them. I guess all of that makes it tough for me to become a big fan of them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, The Avengers, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Man Of Steel and others certainly have stayed with me longer than Deadpool. Not knocking it just saying that those others imo were more memorable.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I eagerly await the second funniest movie based on a Marvel character since Ant-Man, which will be (by default) Captain America: Civil War.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My son and I saw DEADPOOL (2016) while we were out of town last week.

This one had us in stitches from the get go, and you know what? I rather liked the aspect of the lead character having to try and overcome the big C, rather than becoming a Superhero because it was simply the noble and right thing to do!

I was never overly fond of Stan Lee's Spiderman, but I really enjoyed his Deadpool creation! Solid, irreverent, raunchy fun entertainment, in my opinion!

CHEERS! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally saw this (on blu-ray) and I enjoyed it. It was far from my favorite Marvel film, or even my favorite X-Men film, but it was a lot of fun. I've never been a huge fan of Reynolds, but he really carried this, and his signature comedic style is a perfect fit. Morena Baccarin was a nice presence in this (although, really, do they all have to be prostitutes?). The villain was a bit weak, and the sadism was turned up too high. But the writing was great, and the cast pulled it off seemingly without effort. If they could extract the breezy, lighter tone this movie had (amid all the grim and gritty goings-on), they could really give the DC movies a much-needed injection.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My son and I saw DEADPOOL (2016) while we were out of town last week.

This one had us in stitches from the get go, and you know what? I rather liked the aspect of the lead character having to try and overcome the big C, rather than becoming a Superhero because it was simply the noble and right thing to do!

I was never overly fond of Stan Lee's Spider-man, but I really enjoyed his Deadpool creation! Solid, irreverent, raunchy fun entertainment, in my opinion!

Can you explain what this means?

Lee didn't create Deadpool (movie or comic) and Lee didn't create any Spider-man movies either.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyway I loved this movie.

Right from the opening credits to the end.

4/5 stars

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Can you explain what this means?

Lee didn't create Deadpool (movie or comic) and Lee didn't create any Spider-man movies either.
Sorry! Wrong assumption on my part regarding Deadpool, and with Spiderman, it was more in reference to the '60s cartoons (I don't dislike them, I'm just not overly fond of them.), which I believe Stan Lee did create.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tony, Stan Lee is one of the creators of the Spider-man comic along with Steve Ditko.
He really has nothing to do with that 1967 Tv show.
Creative Consultants:
Stan Lee (called "Smilin'" Stan Lee),
John Romita, Sr. (called "Jazzy" Johnny Romita) was essentially all they were.

Lee hasn't had any creative connection to any of the movies. Basically in name only as a producer.

That 1967 show has a cult following.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks