What's new

Deadpool (2016) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This movie is not a superhero movie, it's more of a merc with regenerative super powers. At the core, it is a love story, rivaling Titanic's love story, only that the guy gets to live, but at the cost of his handsome "People's Most Sexiest Man" good looks. LOL!

The plot is simple, almost too simple, but easy enough to entertain the audience with all sorts of zeitgeist snark and funny rejoinders and observations, and lamentations on super powers used in less than heroic or self-less ways. The cast seemed to have a blast with the film, lending to the fun energy throughout the movie.

Even with all the murderous undertakings, the film is entertaining because it's mostly through the prism of Deadpool's point of view. And yeah, be a good parent and don't take your kid to see this film unless they are at a maturity level of roughly 15 years or older, and can handle frank sex scenes (and kinky "50 Shades of Red" stuff), and other crude humor. Or have fun explaining some possibly uncomfortable material with your under-aged offspring prematurely... :)

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

#DriveBy

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
This movie was simply great. Different direction from the typical Marvel movies and Ryan Reynolds really nailed it. I can't see anyone else doing the role now. Might be a curse for him like Hugh Jackman but really a great film. I want to see it again and may try this coming weekend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This movie is not a superhero movie, it's more of a merc with regenerative super powers. At the core, it is a love story, rivaling Titanic's love story, only that the guy gets to live, but at the cost of his handsome "People's Most Sexiest Man" good looks. LOL!

The plot is simple, almost too simple, but easy enough to entertain the audience with all sorts of zeitgeist snark and funny rejoinders and observations, and lamentations on super powers used in less than heroic or self-less ways. The cast seemed to have a blast with the film, lending to the fun energy throughout the movie.

Even with all the murderous undertakings, the film is entertaining because it's mostly through the prism of Deadpool's point of view. And yeah, be a good parent and don't take your kid to see this film unless they are at a maturity level of roughly 15 years or older, and can handle frank sex scenes (and kinky "50 Shades of Red" stuff), and other crude humor. Or have fun explaining some possibly uncomfortable material with your under-aged offspring prematurely... :)

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

#DriveBy
Just three stars, I would think this is the type of film that you would give a B+ score.;)

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

I'll give it a pass on the plot - it's an origin movie, for a character that I'd guess most viewers are completely unfamiliar with. There was a lot of ground to cover there. Fortunately the flashback structure at the beginning did a nice job of letting us get to see Deadpool in action from the start.

The snark and the demolishing the fourth wall was deftly handled.

I'm already looking forward to a sequel.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A little Avengers or C.A. mention?
I liked the Shield Helicarrier from "Captain America:Winter Soldier" at the end.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just came back from my second viewing. It held up very well and I was able to digest more of the jokes/Pop Culture references.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I liked it. To be honest I thought/ hoped it would be better but it still was a lot of fun. Reynolds was great and born for this role.

I would give it ⭐⭐⭐️out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Good analysis from Deadline.

"7TH WRITETHRU, Monday AM update, charts updated: 20th Century Fox’s Deadpool continued to break February records, with Sunday grossing $42.685M, which is the second highest grossing day of the month. That figure was even with Saturday’s $42.61M (now February’s third highest grossing day), and just 10% off Friday’s record opening day of $47.45M.

RELATED
'Jurassic World's All-Time Record: Why The Town Didn't See It Coming Until It Happened
The 3-day revise on Deadpool is now $132.75M with $150M still a target for the four-day Presidents’ Day holiday. Global debut: $300M. Countless records were broken here. As we saw all along, Deadpool easily flogged Fifty Shades of Grey‘s opening figures from last year ($85.1M FSS, $93M FSSM). But, Deadpool was also the biggest opening ever for an R-rated movie on a 3-day basis beating Matrix Reloaded‘s $91.8M, but it also tore apart Hangover 2‘s four-day take of $117.6M. For Fox executives, Deadpool is the biggest opening they’ve ever seen, surpassing Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (FSS $108.4M). In addition, the studio already has $100M+ grossing 2016 releases under its belt along with The Revenant and DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda 3, and February isn’t even over yet.

But how did Deadpool set the B.O. on fire? Fox conservatively projected the weekend for this R-rated supehero movie in the $60M-$65M range last week. Rival distribution chiefs had the Marvel anti-hero film as high as $80M. But even they were off.

Full story here.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/deadpoo...gle-valentines-weekend-box-office-1201699895/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked it. To be honest I thought/ hoped it would be better but it still was a lot of fun. Reynolds was great and born for this role.

I would give it ⭐⭐⭐️out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐
TBH, I was more entertained by this film than any other over the last 12 months or so except for maybe, TFA.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I enjoyed it and thought it was quite fun, though it don't think I'm as high on it as some others are.

That may be partly due to my "issue" where I often enjoy second viewings much more that the first for many films. But I think it was also due in part to me feeling like I already saw the whole thing in the trailers and adds. Most all of the action and many of the jokes were already in the trailers. Now, that's not the film's fault. It's the fault of the marketing team. I was hoping for more new stuff I hadn't seen in the trailers, but that kind of issue usually goes away for me on a second viewing.

I've been trying lately to avoid promotional stuff for these types of films. I definitely avoid all of the "clips" that get released, and I try to look away or TiVo forward through TV adds, but I think I need to start avoiding trailers as well. That'll be tough for me because I love trailers, but they just show so damn much in them anymore. I'm expecting a new, second trailer for Cap Civil War soon, and I'd love to not watch, but I don't know if I have it in me. Though the trailers for The Winter Soldier didn't give too much away, so maybe I'll let myself have ONE view and then cut myself off.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I love how Gunn is always brutally honest and calls out a lot of bullshit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From that link:
So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.
He's dead right about. The name of the game in Hollywood has always been "OK, that worked for them so we'll do it too." I guess the upside is that they'll be more willing to chance more faithful adaptations of 'adult' comic books.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They'll probably double up wrong lessons with release date voodoo so that not only are they making bad knockoffs but also putting them out at this specific weekend.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah the lessons and success of Deadpool will certainly spawn a bunch of shitty films but probably a few good ones too.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This is the funniest movie based on a Marvel character since Ant-Man, which had a better story but this was funnier. This was also very well cast and Ryan's best performance. I loved the references to Green Lantern and the post credits scene was very funny. Great, fun movie!

I saw an afternoon showing at the Cinemark Orleans 18 which had a curved screen, I think I prefer the flat screens. The auditorium was fairly small but was still about half full and the audience seemed to have a great time.

I'd definitely watch this again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks