What's new

David Carradine Movies (1 Viewer)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I'm a David Carradine fan, and I'm hoping the experts here can tell me who currently owns the home video rights for the following films:
Cloud Dancer (1980)
IMDB company credits:
Distributors
Blossom Pictures
Prism Entertainment Corporation (video)
VPS Film-Entertainment GmbH
This is a sweet little movie that I'd love to see remastered into the proper widescreen aspect ratio and get an MOD release.
Gauguin The Savage (1980) TV-movie
IMDB company credits:
Production Companies
Nephi Productions Inc.
Distributors
Alfred Haber Inc.
Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) (1980) (USA) (TV) (original airing)
Reel Media International (2004) (worldwide) (video)
Reel Media International (2007) (worldwide) (all media)
Vídeo Network (Brazil) (VHS)
Night Children (1989)
No company credits listed in the IMDB but it was released on VHS by Anchor Bay
Sonny Boy (1989)
IMDB company credits:
Production Companies
Trans World Entertainment (TWE) (presents)
Distributors
Triumph Releasing Corporation (1990) (USA) (theatrical)
VPS Film-Entertainment GmbH (1989) (Germany) (theatrical)
CBS/Fox Home Video (1991) (USA) (VHS)
Media Home Entertainment (1991) (USA) (VHS)
RCA/Columbia Pictures Video (1990) (Japan) (VHS)
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) (2009) (USA) (TV)
Video Treasures (1992) (USA) (video)
Sonny Boy is one mega-freaky movie! It was shot in Panavision and I'd love to see Scream Factory get the rights or a license to release it as a Blu-ray/DVD. :)
Also on my wishlist:
Fast Charlie...The Moonbeam Rider. I believe this is a Universal picture and I sure wish they'd release it as part of the Universal Vault Series.
I'd also love to see CBS/Paramount (or Shout Factory/Timeless Media) release Carradine's one-season TV western, Shane, on DVD too. This time Shane... STAYED. ;) Jill Ireland plays Marian Starrett. Joe Starrett is dead in this version, but a grandfather played by Tom Tully is now part of the family.
(For anyone wondering why Kung Fu: The Legend Continues has not been released on DVD, the Warner Archive Collection has stated that is another victim of music clearance rights.)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I don't know the answer to your questions, but I share your appreciation for the actor and I want to add another title to the question. Namely the mid-1960s TV series SHANE. Short-lived. Co-starred Jill Ireland. Carradine played Shane. I've always wanted to see it.
My favorite David Carradine performances are on DVD:

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Hi, Richard, I did mention Shane in my original post.
Here is an ad from The Hollywood Reporter David Carradine signed for me in June 2006:
Bound for Glory, The Serpent's Egg and The Long Riders are all available on DVD -- Long Riders also on Blu-ray.
Bound for Glory definitely is a candidate for Blu-ray release, though I'm suspect it needs an entirely new transfer from the original elements before we will see one. And who knows when they'll ever do that. Intrada just released the Bound for Glory soundtrack newly remastered from the original recording elements and the album also includes music never released before, too.
But it's really those more obscure titles I'd like to know about... they are all good or (in the case of Sonny Boy... interesting) movies and I'd really like to get decent versions of them. Especially Cloud Dancer. I'm really fond of that one.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
PaulaJ said:
I'm a David Carradine fan, and I'm hoping the experts here can tell me who currently owns the home video rights for the following films:
Cloud Dancer (1980)
Gauguin The Savage (1980) TV-movie
Night Children (1989)
Sonny Boy (1989)
SONNY BOY is owned by MGM, although TV and streaming rights may lie with Paramount from an earlier licensing deal Trans World made with Viacom.
CLOUD DANCER was a Melvin Simon production that somehow did not get released through their longtime output deal with Fox. I've been told a foreign finance body owns a bunch of the Melvin Simon films that Fox and/or Columbia did not buy equity in.
Reel Media is a company that essentially squats on what they believe are public domain films, so I would challenge their claim on GAUGAIN THE SAVAGE. More likely it belongs to the producer that made it for CBS.
Don't really know anything about NIGHT CHILDREN, or who licensed it to Anchor Bay previously.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
So many Melvin Simon films in limbo. I know Fox must still own SCAVENGER HUNT but was always perplexed why Anchor Bay /Fox or now Shout! never released it to DVD.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
*sigh*
In other words... patience, Grasshopper, as it looks like these films will not be seeing the light of day on DVD any time soon. (If ever.) Thanks for the information!

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
a couple of cool david carradine films are pow the escape and field of fire.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Don't miss Lone Wolf McQuade, while technically not a David Carridine vehicle, he plays a prominent guest starring role with Chuck Norris. A great guilty pleasure, now on Bluray as well.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Richard V said:
Don't miss Lone Wolf McQuade, while technically not a David Carridine vehicle, he plays a prominent guest starring role with Chuck Norris. A great guilty pleasure, now on Bluray as well.
lone wolf McQuade is one of my favorite movies. imho it is the predecessor for walker texas ranger.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
A

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
PaulaJ said:
(For anyone wondering why Kung Fu: The Legend Continues has not been released on DVD, the Warner Archive Collection has stated that is another victim of music clearance rights.)
Sad news. I've been waiting and hoping for years for this particular guilty pleasure to come out on DVD.
I thought all of the music was scored by Jeff Danna. Is there problematic library music mixed in there, too? Or is it a matter of pop songs on radios in the background, and the like?
Any chance of the music clearance rights ever being resolved in the near future (a la The Fugitive), or is WB simply not even going to bother trying?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
kingfish said:
lone wolf McQuade is one of my favorite movies. imho it is the predecessor for walker texas ranger.
:):tu:
I can't think of one, without thinking of the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks