What's new

Dark Matter on syfy (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/10/stargate-producers-bring-dark-matter-to-syfy/
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/15/syfy-acquires-new-original-drama-dark-matter-from-the-writers-of-stargate/314854/

Dark Matter tells the story of the crew of a derelict spaceship, awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. “Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.”

The series is based on Mallozzi and Mullie’s graphic novel Dark Matter, published by Dark Horse Comics in 2012. The idea was originally conceived for television and the writers have been using the 4-issue comic series to help shop the concept for the small screen.

Dark Matter is a refreshing and entertaining space opera that blends an intriguing premise with fast-paced suspense,” Chris Regina, Syfy’s Senior VP of Programming, said. “It will be a terrific addition to our prime time schedule next year.”

Sounds like Stargate Universe season 3, with the serial numbers filed off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One post on this gem of a Summer show?

Season one was a surprise delight. Season two has the budget upped, and a broader story. If you want fun sci-fi in between the big-budget "seasons", Dark Matter is must-watch.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have been watching (and enjoying) this and Killjoys. Great Friday night viewing.
Between these two, and Expanse, SyFy has become a great place for great new Sci-Fi shows.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Dark Matter has been great. Lots of surprises this season. I was surprised that they didn't investigate further the missing (known to the viewer as dead) addict doctor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another two strong episodes as the story moves in unexpected directions. My summer viewing is filled with sturm and drang of Mr. Robot and Halt and Catch Fire and Unreal. Dark Matter isn't bright and cheery, but it's more fun and essentially optimistic in its anti-hero heart.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll be there. Loved season 1. Season two was fun, if less taut. Hopefully season 3 brings us more of the first season perfectly paced story.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I forgot I was watching this, so thanks for the heads up. Although having seen two seasons of The Expanse in the interim, I look at Dark Matter and think, "this is the best you can do?" It feels really junky in comparison.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I forgot I was watching this, so thanks for the heads up. Although having seen two seasons of The Expanse in the interim, I look at Dark Matter and think, "this is the best you can do?" It feels really junky in comparison.
I think the answer is "Yes".

Season 1 is the most aggressively low budget tv show I've seen since maybe Max Headroom. It's impressively frugal, and within those obvious constraints, impressive in what it accomplishes. Because it built a wickedly tight character drama that is arguably more compelling in a personal level than The Expanse.

The Expanse is fantastic, big-budget sci-fi. But it's so involved in the solar politics and science that characters are a bit secondary. Dark Matter was almost nothing but the characters.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
First two episodes were a lot of fun.

The reuniting of the team right at the end of the first episode seemed a bit quick with little transition. They were notified that 3 was where he was and next we see he is on the Raza. 2 was living off nanites and 6 on a small amount of oxygen and then they are onboard.

In the second episode, it seems that the Android did not tell the rest of the crew what she learned from 4. But maybe that happens off-screen. It did remind us of the importance of 5 to the political scene. Just who is she? I think we might find out before this season is over.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The show is more than I had remembered. Nice kick off to the season, but they do spend too many episodes putting the crew in jeopardy with zero suspense since they're not going to kill three main cast members by episode 2.

BTW, I hadn't seen the show since season 2 ended in September and bought my Echo Dot around Christmas. When I heard Alexa tell me about the weather this morning, I noticed how much that voice sounds like the Android. It's uncanny. Now I'll be reminded of Dark Matter every time I hear Alexa.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The show is more than I had remembered. Nice kick off to the season, but they do spend too many episodes putting the crew in jeopardy with zero suspense since they're not going to kill three main cast members by episode 2.
Last season they killed one main cast member in the first (?) episode, possibly to imply that no one is safe. Three of them would be a bit much, but you never know about another one.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am happy that this is back for the summer. While we can't be certain that any of the crew will die this year they have already established a lot of jeopardy for the crew of the Raza early in the season. Their former crew mate certainly upped the ante at the end of episode three.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I guess just about every science fiction show has to have a time loop episode. This one was fun and had a couple twists to it. It has been a good start to the season.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it looks like Three had some fun with this past episode. They certainly appear to have opened up the potential plot lines this season, particularly with Android's time jumps.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Roger Cross (6) is a busy guy and I think they've written him out of the way for part of this season and last. I wonder when he will return.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
#6 was back this past weekend in a great mind-blowing episode. Worlds within worlds.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
great mind-blowing episode

The show's writers have definitely embraced the use of virtual constructs this season. Of course, we had the alternate universe exploration courtesy of the blink drive, but this season it seems like more of the narrative has focused around altered realities. Still enjoying the show a great deal.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks