What's new

DanW and others: Question about AVA250 (1 Viewer)

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have my sonosub built(tempest driver), and I am having problems getting power to the amp. I cannot get any sound from the amp to the woofer. There is a loud hum in my center? speaker when I connect my LFE out to the line in on the amp.
I did not do anything special to the amp, since there were no instructions included. There are two wires under the plate. Do I need to connect these to something? I ran speaker wire from the amp to the sub and no sound. I verified that the two driver coils work by connecting my main speaker wire to the sub speaker wire. I am pretty certain that the LFE out from the sub works, as it was recently connected to my Velodyne sub that worked fine.
What do I set the dials to? I tried a variety of setting and got no sound other than the center speaker hum.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Regarding the two wires under the plate, there is one red and one black. These are the wires you hook to the woofer. Sounds like you may have gone from the terminals on the front of the amp to the woofer which will not work.
The hum is a different issue. Use a 3 prong to 2 prong adaptor when plugging into the wall and this should solve the humming problem.
John

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, since the Tempest is a dual coil, how do I resolve the single +/- wire issue? Split it? I actually have the ava250 simply sitting in the crate it was shipped in, and will keep it there until I decide what to build it in. I have the driver connected to a dual terminal cup at the bottom of the sonosub.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
The tempest has dual 8ohm VC's. Connect both VC's in parallel for a 4ohm load and then just hook to the black and red wires.
John

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I got the sub set up and the hum is gone. I still dont know what the phase dial on the AVA250 is for.

Kevin Kloet

Agent
I don't have this amp, but the phase switch is for reversing the phase fo the driver. This may help or hurt in-room response.
Just try it both ways and whatever sounds better.... leave it like that.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
John,
Thanks for answering the questions!
Shayne,
The phase control is for fine tuning the phase relationship between the sub and your mains. The dial will adjust the overall phasing of the sub; 0 degrees will leave it "in phase" with the mains, while 180 degrees will leave it "out of phase" with the mains. In between will leave it in between... :).
Basically, if your sub isn't placed right next to your mains, you may want to adjust the phase to get the best response. Try having someone slowly adjust the phase from 0 to 180 until the sound "locks in". At some phase setting, the sub will integrate very will with the mains; you will no longer be able to easily locate the sub as a different speaker. This is the phase setting you want to keep!
Thanks,
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks