What's new

Dali centre speaker shielding problems (1 Viewer)

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I've just tried to put my Dali Concept Centre speaker on top of my Toshiba CRT set and im getting quite bad purple and blue colorization. The speaker says its shielded but yet it still does it. I've also tried an older Sony centre speaker(also says shielded) and it does the same. As soon as i take the speaker away the color goes away.

Seems as though its the set? Any ideas? Currently the speaker is under the tv on a rack, definately not at ear level. It would be optimal on top of TV but im using my projector more than the TV atm. I dont wanna kill the TV though!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Your problem seems to be a common one. Some speakers aren't shielded well enough. The television is not likely to be at fault here, just poor magnetic shielding. It is very sad that these speakers aren't designed carefully enough to really work well with our CRT sets.

Seth=L

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Yeah as soon as i pull the speaker away, the color completely goes. As soon as it enters the top to the tv it begins. Will it damage the tv if i have it on top without the tv on?
Its a bit dissapointing, the Dali centre isnt really a budget speaker. I mean, i shouldnt have to pay $1000 for a speaker that is ACTUALLY shielded when it says it is.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it'll cause any damage to the TV when it's off. I don't know what approach to shielding the brands you have used. Quite often they use another magnet of the right size and attach it to the back of the driver's magnet structure. This results in a reduction of the magnetic field strength by around 90%, give or take. Now that doesn't mean it's eliminated entirely and that you can now get away placing the speaker anywhere at all. There are limits and unfortunately, you've discovered where those limits are.

If you're thinking about maybe placing something between the speaker and the top of the TV like copper, lead, aluminum, tin, zinc...just forget it. Maybe you'll cause some bending of the magnetic fields but only in the most exceptional and rare cases do people luck out. Your best bet is to determine how high the speaker needs to be and then add a few inches to that. Then it's up to you to figure out something that you can use instead of phone books or whatever you used to make the equivalent height. Likely you'll also need something to tilt the speaker like those doorstop wedges so that you get the sound right.

Yes, you're disappointed, but your disappointment might be rooted in unrealistic expectations.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I can cause damage to the tv when it is on or off. The TV's degaus function is not as powerfull as a CRT computer monitor. What happens is the Magnetic field magnetizes the shadow mask and prolonged exposure results in semi-permanent discoloration. The problem can be fixed with a degausing machine or internal degaus, though it is not as powerfull.

Just try to figure out a way to keep the center channel away from the tv without compromising your sound. Maybe try a wall mounting bracket.

Seth=L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks