What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Summertime (1955) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
RAN
1657113759497.png

Criterion
1657113809547.png

RAN
1657114078788.png

Criterion
1657114129394.png

RAN
1657114294510.png

Criterion
1657114347967.png

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Why in the criterion do they look as if they're in shadows? It seems to have more than just screen ratio problems.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Summertime was largely shot in natural light. The new Criterion more accurately reflects that. The "RAN" (typical Tooze gibberish), which btw is the older transfer still currently on HBO Max, appears to be contrast boosted.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well the colors are richer in the Criterion. But it would be nice to find more of a middle ground. Though I saw it many years ago in 35 MM I don't remember it being that dark. In fact Venice seemed very sunny to me. When I finally did go to the city I thought that Lean had to have filmed most of his shots at midday as the streets and lanes are narrow and the direct sunlight I saw in much of the film doesn't last very long.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well the colors are richer in the Criterion. But it would be nice to find more of a middle ground. Though I saw it many years ago in 35 MM I don't remember it being that dark. In fact Venice seemed very sunny to me. When I finally did go to the city I thought that Lean had to have filmed most of his shots at midday as the streets and lanes are narrow and the direct sunlight I saw in much of the film doesn't last very long.
Are you basing your opinion about the Criterion Blu-ray on those screenshots?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes. Are those screenshots incorrect? I just received The Red Shoes in 4k despite reading it was on the dark side compared to the bluray because the colors are richer. I was thinking perhaps the same is true of Summertime. I hope to watch Shoes tonight.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. Are those screenshots incorrect? I just received The Red Shoes in 4k despite reading it was on the dark side compared to the bluray because the colors are richer. I was thinking perhaps the same is true of Summertime. I hope to watch Shoes tonight.
I don't know, but what wondering what you based your stated opinion on. I watched the Criterion Channel stream and it didn't appear dark to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry! I guess I should have found a streaming version, no a Blu-ray version, no a 4K version, a whatever version. No matter someone will always be offended.
I'm not offended, but DVDBeaver screenshots are not respected by many HTF members.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'm not offended, but DVDBeaver screenshots are not respected by many HTF members.

Man, I must be having a bad posting day. I was making a joke about HTF members being so picky about comparisons of versions of Blu-ray vs DVD vs 4K vs 2K streaming vs 4K steaming vs 1080p TV vs 4K TV vs 2k Projector vs 4k Projector vs what they saw at a movie theatre in 1957. Um, that's a joke also.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I never trust screenshots. I trust the moving image, for I have been fooled many times.
Yes. Indeed, I've seen terrible looking transfers that look quite decent in a screenshot as well as good transfers that look less than stellar in a screenshot. We're watching motion pictures not screenshots and it's the moving image that's to be trusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks