What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Blow Out (1981) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
HSoTnpeX9dNMoVr7cuSwyc9b518AaO_large.jpg
In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances, as a film sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination. To uncover the truth, he enlists the help of a possible eyewitness to the crime (Nancy Allen), who may be in danger herself. With its jolting stylistic flourishes, intricate plot, profoundly felt characterizations, and gritty evocation of early-1980s Philadelphia, Blow Out is an American paranoia thriller unlike any other, as well as a devilish reflection on moviemaking.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 108 minutes
  • Color
  • 2.40:1
  • English
  • Spine #562

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Interview with director Brian De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach
    • Interview with actor Nancy Allen
    • Murder à la Mod, a 1967 feature by De Palma
    • Interview with cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within Blow Out
    • On-set photographs by Louis Goldman
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Sragow and, for the Blu-ray and 4K UHD editions, Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review of the film
    New cover by Eric Skillman

September 6, 2022

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This and THE UNTOUCHABLES (just released on 4K and finally looking good) are to my mind the two best De Palma films.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances, as a film sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination. To uncover the truth, he enlists the help of a possible eyewitness to the crime (Nancy Allen), who may be in danger herself. With its jolting stylistic flourishes, intricate plot, profoundly felt characterizations, and gritty evocation of early-1980s Philadelphia, Blow Out is an American paranoia thriller unlike any other, as well as a devilish reflection on moviemaking.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 108 minutes
  • Color
  • 2.40:1
  • English
  • Spine #562

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Interview with director Brian De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach
    • Interview with actor Nancy Allen
    • Murder à la Mod, a 1967 feature by De Palma
    • Interview with cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within Blow Out
    • On-set photographs by Louis Goldman
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Sragow and, for the Blu-ray and 4K UHD editions, Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review of the film
    New cover by Eric Skillman

September 6, 2022
Uh...the 'new' cover by Eric Skillman looks suspiciously like the old cover of the standard Blu I already own in my collection.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Excellent that Criterion are adding vintage De Palma to their 4K UHD line-up. I'm half-expecting Arrow Video or Kino to release a 4K UHD of Carrie. Criterion's CAV laserdisc of Carrie was one of their legendary releases, at the time.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
This film contains a glorious example of 'artistic license' which sacrifices a never to be recovered credibility.

In the opening scene he's recording sound effects at night, using a Sennheiser 805 mic, a very long one rarely used nowadays as shorter ones became more effective. The film makers decided that the mic would be more photogenic seen au natural without any form of wind gag, without which it's so sensitive that it can't even be moved gently without the sound being ruined by wind noise, none of which, of course, is heard in the film.

What's most ridiculous is that the sound recordist of the movie would have been working with a similar mic but WITH a wind gag, whilst being forced to show somebody doing his job in a manner that couldn't work.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I can see amoral, but I think it's a commentary on the nature of Hollywood.
But nothing in the movie is about "Hollywood", so why would you reach that conclusion.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

That Jack would use the death scream of a woman he cared about, who died a horrible death while trying to help him, to overdub a scream in a cheap slasher movie that he despises, suddenly makes his character seem completely lacking in any kind of ethical or moral judgment, which has nothing to do with what we've been watching for the last two hours.

It doesn't fit.

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
Greatly unappreciated film.

I watched them filming the scenes at Independence Hall with Travolta and was excited about seeing the movie since I was living in Philadelphia at the time and recognized all the locations.
I was so disappointed that the film was a box office failure but I’m glad to see it being re-evaluated as one of DePalma’s best.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
But nothing in the movie is about "Hollywood", so why would you reach that conclusion.

It doesn't fit.
Travolta plays a professional sound man in the Los Angeles film industry. In the early 80s, "cheap slasher movies" could be big box office (Halloween, Friday the 13th). That seemed Hollywood enough for me. It's also clear that Travolta hates himself for what he does at the end of the film, but that's the only way to meet the demands of his job. Again, sounds like Hollywood to me.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Travolta plays a professional sound man in the Los Angeles film industry. In the early 80s, "cheap slasher movies" could be big box office (Halloween, Friday the 13th). That seemed Hollywood enough for me. It's also clear that Travolta hates himself for what he does at the end of the film, but that's the only way to meet the demands of his job. Again, sounds like Hollywood to me.
Except the movie is set in Philadelphia.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Didn’t recall that. Good point. I was using Hollywood as a euphemism for the film industry anyway. Had it been set in Toronto would that make a difference?
Yes, because these are not A-list Hollywood filmmakers. They're cranking out cheap, independent B pictures from Philly, hardly the film industry you think they're in.

"Oh, God. Five films in two years."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks