What's new

Could SACD Sound That Bad ?!? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Amatala, many of the M/C mixes I've listened to aren't much different than if you just ran the 2-channel through a processor for 5 channel. Then again, some aren't. I'm purr-dy familar with your collection because I have most of them. You've managed some purr-dy good DVD-A's. It's no suprise that they made Mike Oldfield sound mediocre!

I'm your inverse. I'll buy 2-channel SA-CD's and DVD-A's. If the 5-channel program is woth the time of day, that's a bonus.

Since you like rocks, I suggest you give Joe Satriani's STRANGE BEAUTIFUL music a whirl on SACD. BTW, King Crimson's IN THE COURT OF... on Vigin SA-CD is on indefinite delay. It could pop out of the woodwork sometime...? Maybe not...? If you care for the Allman Brothers, you might give their 2 just released albums a try. Unless you hate The Flaming Lips, definitely give their DVD-A a try. It's 5-channel program is one of the most clever out.

Maybe Dualdisc will deliver you something you'll like in the not that distant future?:)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The other concern is the lack of proper bass management. I just installed an Outlaw ICBM in my system and it's now much improved. I bought the Philips DVD963 drive because it does a really good job on the three things I care about: interlaced video (with 128 MHz video DACs)(I have an external scaler), upscaled redbook CD playback, and Sack-Dee. Since I only listen to classical the DVD-A format doesn't appeal to me because of the lack of decent catalog titles. The Philips 963 and ICBM together run you about $650.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Any format you choose, there's a few fundamental laws that are going to make it or break it for you, per disc.

1.) Engineering quality on the disc's production and creation.

2.) Quality of components and hardware being used to listen to said disc.

3.) Properly connected and calibrated equipment.

All it takes is for one of these things to come up short and you will be quite disappointed.

When it's done right, high-rez audio is untouchable, truly, and you don't need thousands of dollars of hardware to get it and enjoy it right now. That's the thing that a lot of people don't fully know or understand.

I know some LP fanatics that might disagree with me, but I have NEVER had an LP yet give me the experience I've had with several SACD's and DVD-A's.

All it's going to take is one brush, one sample, and you'll have to have it. The product sells itself quite well. :)

I'll state it even more bluntly:

Any person that considers themselves a music fan at all, let alone an audiophile, needs to own high-rez audio by any means necessary. Preferably honest means. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks