What's new

Connecting six televisions to two satellite feeds, a FiOS television feed, and a camera feed. (2 Viewers)

Standard

Auditioning
Real Name
Keenen
Hello HTF,

I'm in a new construction house and six televisions are to be placed throughout the rooms. At each point where a TV is supposed to go, there are two coaxial feeds. All of the coaxial throughout the house trace back to a central location, where there are currently three splitters setup. Two separate splitters are for the two different satellite services we have, that both require receivers and the other splitter is for our FiOS feed that goes to our FiOS TV receivers. We were thinking about purchasing a fourth splitter for our home camera system feed, but we realized we might need a better solution with the house only being wired for two coaxial sources at each entertainment point.
We're looking for a system that will allow us to input all of these sources into one device, and then broadcast all of them through one coaxial feed to one third party receiver at the point of each TV, that will be used to interact with and control the sources all located in one location. In the future, this solution will need to be able to expand into or be compatible with our house-wide audio hook-ups.
This is how I believe it could work out, but I am open to any streamlined solutions.
Thanks for all of your advice in advance, and let me know if you need any clarification of our setup.

Ottawa

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Conroy
Is there a useful purpose to even trying to set this up? How do you plan on controlling what each TV is viewing? Do you want to be able to watch a certain channel on one TV and a different one on another without multiple satellite boxes at each TV?

This sounds like a confusing setup to me? Why not just run the video camera system to a dedicated media server that you could access from one TV?

Good luck with the project sir. I don't get the point of it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I understand what you want to do but you are going to be disappointed. I'm assuming you have high def TVs are each location and want high def video. You can't send uncompressed HD signals over coax. You will need a decoder at each TV which will probably increase your monthly bill.

In the days of analog TV, you needed a frequency agile channel modulator. Multiple ChannelPlus 3025's could have worked for you. They still could if you only want analog TV.

Two separate splitters are for the two different satellite services we have
The two satellite companies (Dish and DirecTV) can't use splitters. They use multi-switches.

Standard

Auditioning
Real Name
Keenen
Originally Posted by Ottawa

Is there a useful purpose to even trying to set this up? How do you plan on controlling what each TV is viewing? Do you want to be able to watch a certain channel on one TV and a different one on another without multiple satellite boxes at each TV?

This sounds like a confusing setup to me? Why not just run the video camera system to a dedicated media server that you could access from one TV?

Good luck with the project sir. I don't get the point of it.

Ottawa, our main goal is to try to get all televisions to have all of the feeds (so we can switch to each feed as necessary, from anywhere in the house), while working around our limitation of only two coaxial lines leading from the central location in our house, where the satellite signals from the dishes, the FiOS signal from the ONT, and the home security feed all begin, to our TVs in the house.

Standard

Auditioning
Real Name
Keenen
Originally Posted by Robert_J

I understand what you want to do but you are going to be disappointed. I'm assuming you have high def TVs are each location and want high def video. You can't send uncompressed HD signals over coax. You will need a decoder at each TV which will probably increase your monthly bill.

In the days of analog TV, you needed a frequency agile channel modulator. Multiple ChannelPlus 3025's could have worked for you. They still could if you only want analog TV.

The two satellite companies (Dish and DirecTV) can't use splitters. They use multi-switches.
I apologize for the mix up in equipment descriptions.

We currently have a decoder for each television, but is there anyway to get all three receiver feeds, and our camera feed over the only two coaxial lines that we have going throughout the house to each TV? I guess what I would ask after that point, is if the individual decoders would be able to decipher between the multiple signals, to acquire the proper signal for itself.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As I said, you can do this with analog video signals but not digital. Each 3025 takes a standard def video signal and converts it to an NTSC (analog) channel number. I've done the same in the past with 2 satellite receivers, 1 VCR and 1 DVD player.

There are ATSC frequency agile channel modulators but they are in the thousands of dollars and made for production studios.

Standard

Auditioning
Real Name
Keenen
Originally Posted by Robert_J

As I said, you can do this with analog video signals but not digital. Each 3025 takes a standard def video signal and converts it to an NTSC (analog) channel number. I've done the same in the past with 2 satellite receivers, 1 VCR and 1 DVD player.

There are ATSC frequency agile channel modulators but they are in the thousands of dollars and made for production studios.

Thanks for the advice! This will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks