What's new

Comparing two units of the same model: Break-in aside, shouldn't they sound the same? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
In reading a review of the Sony DVP-NS500V DVD/SACD player in the June/July issue of the abso!ute sound, I found the following statement and related footnote interesting:

If break-in time is not an issue, say with two brand new units of the same model or two units with the exact same amount of playing time out of the box, shouldn't they sound identical in the same system with the same cables? The reviewer did not make it clear whether he compared the two 'NS500V players side-by-side or even in the same system, but one would think that someone with his "experience" would have done that before drawing any conclusions. Furthermore, while the reviewer dimisses the possibility of break-in explaining the differences he observed, he did not mention whether the two units were of the same "age". Perhaps one had 100 hours logged, while the other was brand new. Anyway, what do you think or what have you observed? Shouldn't two units of the same model sound the same in the same system with the same cables if we do not consider break-in as a relevant factor?

A question that is borne out of this subject is, do manufacturers, particularly the large ones like Sony, vary some of the parts used for a model over the many months of production? Could it be that Sony deals with a couple or several parts manufacturers that make parts within "spec" such that Sony might vary certain parts from time to time based on price and availability? I was always under the impression that a manufacturer decided on one set of parts and would not stray from that. Hmmm....

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Royster

Screenwriter
I was always under the impression that a manufacturer decided on one set of parts and would not stray from that.
I don't know about sony but it isn't uncommon to switch hardware revisions, parts or even part manufacturers within a particular model. I need a widget for my CD player, as long as the widget is within spec I'll take it.

I'm just generalizing manufacturing here, but one would think it occurs in mainstream audio/video gear.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, yeah, that's what I was wondering. As I had said, I had always thought that manufacturers of audio and video gear stuck with the same parts, but looking at it as a business with margins and deadlines to meet, I could see certain parts being changed on the fly so long as the parts were up to spec. I guess if you consider a component that is in production for a year, suppliers and types of certain parts could very well change. I just wonder if it actually happens.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
I would think such swapping of parts in music electronics would not be good for sales. I'd hate to think that Sony had played loose with the parts in my XA777ES SACD player, especially at its price point.
If the parts do not effect the quality of sound I say it does not matter but if one set of components is brighter than another it would not be a good thing.:angry:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I agree. I would also tend to think that manufacturers would be more stringent with the parts list on higher-end components. The quantities produced of these components is far less than that of budget components, as is the demand, so I would think that the manufacturer could better absorb a delay in production of a higher-end component while waiting for the exact right part. However, whether we are talking about the $300 Sony DVP-NS500V or the $3000 Sony SCD-XA777ES, we are talking about Sony, and I'm not sure whether Sony makes a distinction. Simply put, I am willing to bet that Classe, Cary, Accuphase, etc. are more strict with its parts lists than is Sony.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've seen three different versions of the CE775.

One rare version has the entire transpost assembly (what the disc tray rides on) made out of white plastic, while most of the players are made of black plastic.

I have seen 3 or 4 different brands of coupling capacitors used on the rear, sub, and center output stages. They've used Nichicon, Jamicon, Rubicon, and Elna.

The earlier versions of the player have Burr Brown labeled DACs, while later versions have a Sony "CXD number" DAC (still produced by BB of course).

So I expect you could hear a difference between two players of the same model, especially if the construction dates are farther apart.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, very interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the 'CE775. I imagine that since differences occur with the 'CE775, similar differences occur with the 'NS500V. This is very enlightening. As I have said, I can see how a manufacturer would substitute parts that are all "within spec.", but it is disconcerting. I wonder if the manufacturers think about or even care how parts substitutions might affect performance. As we all know, specs. don't tell the story regarding sound quality.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
The parts are within specifications, and at least their attention to the stereo channels has remained constant. I don't think the difference in part suppliers will make that much of a difference.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, O.K. You would certainly know better than I. There were holes all through the abso!ute sound reviewer's analysis of the two 'NS500V players. Still, the possibility of manufacturers changing parts is a bit bothersome. In the end, there is nothing one can do about it, and either you like the player or you don't. If I bought a player and didn't like it, I wouldn't exchange it for another thinking that a possible difference in parts would make a difference in the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks