What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Community - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think what I like best about Community is that there is continuity with the characters, but you never know what to expect with each episode. The ruse in a ruse was OK, but I loved the blanket fort B story and how it intersected with the A story. Some of the lines quoted already in this thread were fantastic. The lengths that Abed and Troy go to to NOT be mainstream are also great.

I understand where you are coming from Greg and appreciate your comments. I can't get my wife into community at all, even though "Jeff" is an Almost Live Alumni

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Right, while the characters can still surprise us, their dialogue and actions remain consistent with our expectations of them. That's interesting writing and performance.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Can I throw some love out to the recurring security guard character, and the actor who plays him? Was rewatching the first season recently, and that guy consistently brings the house down. His stern delivery of ridiculous lines is perfect.

Also, the journalist who wrote the blanket-fort story for the Gazette Journal Mirror shares a surname with one of the other phony night school professors in the fake faculty directory. I think I've watched this episode too much.

Also, new info on the Claymation Christmas episode, courtesy of some guy at Badass Digest.

Even Claymation Annie is luscious.

And John Oliver as a wizard? Awesome.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

Man, Jeff's animated self looks like the creepy love-child of Bill Hader and Young Jack Nicholson. It's freaking me out.
Also, I'm just gonna leave this here.

This makes the lack of a new Community this past week (DAMN YOU, THANKSGIVING) sting less.

Originally Posted by Derek Miner that sounds like a must-read for Alison worshippers)

There are no words...no...words...

Excuse me. Cold-shower time.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It's safe.

No racy, NSFW images, or anything like that -- it's an account written by Alison Brie for a book about one of her...more interesting...real-life sexual experiences while in college. It's rather frank and graphic in some of its descriptions, however.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, hell, I'm home now! (Watching "Capricious Caroline from Corpus Christie" at this very moment, in fact. ;) )

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Wait, she's on Mad Men too? I've been meaning to watch that. . .

Alison Brie looks alot different in her appearances on Mad Men due to the 1960's hair and costumes that she wears. So much so that I didn't even realize it was her until someone pointed it out on the internet and I had been watching both shows since they began.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I liked this week's episode a lot. Seemed to bring back some of what I thought was missing this season.

Paul F. Tompkins was a hoot.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show isn't one of my favorites, but I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Lots of great character-driven material, and I particularly liked Shirley dealing with having to return to the place where she hit rock bottom before finding Jesus and straightening up. The drunk polaroids all over the place were absolutely hilarious, especially the blackout drunk shot on the "call a cab" poster and the happy lush shot on the "thank you" sign on the back of the door. The glimpse into Jeff and Britta's mutual dysfunction -- loving the same bar and bashing the other for loving it, quickly followed by inebriated early foreplay with Abed wedged into the back seat with them -- was great, as was Annie's reckless, impulsive alter ego. The capper was the nice little scene between Troy and Annie in the hallway of her rundown apartment building, exactly the kind of conversation two young people should be having with all of life still ahead of them.

If the zombie episode was on one end of the realism-to-silliness spectrum, this episode probably went as far in the other direction as this show is willing to go.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Last nights episode was awesome! I really enjoy episodes with more Troy. His lines are some of the best in the show.

" I can't wait til I can understand these conversations" was one of my favorite lines. That whole scene about him ordering a drink was funny. I also enjoyed Abed being picked up by a guy. The fact that he picked up on it, but continued to talk about his show was hysterical!

I enjoy this show more and more with each episode and I am so excited about the claymation episode coming next week!

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Absolutely loved them celebrating Tray's 20th anniversary of his expulsion from a uterus. I may have to use this on an upcoming birthday.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"I wanna bathe in manhood."

Abed and the gay-sex dude were hilarious. "I just really like talking about Farscape." "Stargate is better!!"

The character beats were all on-point, we learned something incredibly sad about Shirley (that was kinda hilarious at the same time), and then didn't tie that up in a nice, neat little bow like this show sometimes does.

It's actually really brave that they didn't go back to Shirley before the end, and I have to think that they're going to refer back to that in a future episode. That was some poignant shit. I'll admit it, I laughed at that stack of Polaroids, too. But I've had some friends who are former alcoholics, and when she got upset...it felt real. That's a brave move from a show like this, and so was Troy's revelation. Jeff's last line was forced, but for me, that was the only real weak spot.

It just felt tonally different from the crazy episodes we've been seeing lately -- it was certainly more realistic in its second half, and it felt both earned and necessary. We already like these characters a lot, so why not try something a little different?

Now, is this the kind of standalone episode you want to show people to convince them to watch Community? Of course not. But I do think it was a nice change of pace, going into the more "out-there" Claymation episode next week.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It really speaks to the quality of this show's writers that it can veer so wildly in tone from episode to episode and still work.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I agree. While it might not have been the usual barrel of laughs, this episode more than any other reminded me how there really is nothing else like this show on TV right now. It shifts gears so effortlessly.

Annie's whole "Texan"-thing worked extremely well. It was her questioning how she fits into the group. She's the youngest and least experienced, and yet at the same time, she's "old," in the sense that she's got her life pretty much mapped out for the next ten years. She's both more and less with it than the rest of the study group.

What worked about her act for me was that it started simply as an attempt to fit in, and ended with her really questioning herself, something she probably wouldn't have done had she not stepped out of her own too-familiar personality-box. And it doesn't hurt that Brie just tore the hell out of that accent.

My favorite part of the night: when the study group convinced Pierce that they'd thrown a wild party for his birthday, and Troy told him that he still owed him for the keg deposit. The quick cut between Britta's indignant "TROY!!" to Jeff's smarmy, approving nod absolutely destroyed me. I laughed so hard that I saw stars. And that's not the first time that this has happened to me while watching Community.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale