What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Commercials on DVD? (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
Does anyone know of DVDs featuring the most creative commercials out there? Perhaps those that have won awards and such. I for one would actually want to view well made ads from around the world. It would probably be rather easy to get consent from the companies which made the ads (I mean what company would NOT want people viewing their ads?!??) and immediate sponsorship would probably make the discs cheap as well. Anyone else willing to pay for this as well?

As an example of the kinds of ads would love to see on DVD check out this amazing commercial from honda UK. It took 606 takes, $6 Million dollars and ZERO computer graphics---yes, it's all real!

here:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/honda-ad.html

or here:
http://multimedia.honda-eu.com/accord/

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting - I recall going to a reperatory(spelling?) theater a few years back to see a festival of commercial award winners from britain; there was a particularly good series of Levis ads, one involving "the notorious crotch rivet". :D Could be a fun thing to revisit; maybe those kinds of industry awards are the kind of venue to push these for...

Erik*R

Agent
actually that Honda commercial is not all real there was 1? or 2 peices that needed to be faked/generated.. i think its the rolling exhaust system part.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Although they don't contain commercials exclusively, the first three titles in the Directors Label sets from Palm Pictures include mostly music videos plus a few commercials by well-regarded directors.

Yes, I would love to see a well-presented compilation of artful commercials on DVD too. I know that Ridley Scott and David Fincher, for instance, made names for themselves in commercials. Effective commercial spots require great storytelling and interesting imagery/sound to get the director's point across in such a small amount of time.

FYI, Antoine Bardou-Jacquet, director of that Cog ad for Honda has another beautiful spot, this time for the Ford Fiesta, called Pinball. Apart from computer generated shadows and reflections, no other visible computer graphics were used, only the deft compositing of a real car and a real pinball machine. You may view it here if you wish.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Lack of commercials are one reason I buy DVDs.

There are some old commercials included in the Beatles Ed Sullivan DVD set.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
There are a few Commercial DVDs. I did a search for them on DVDPlanet:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/search_powe...tle=commercial

It might not be exactly what you're looking for. I know there's some kind of advertising company/magazine that releases some on DVD. A friend of mine gets them at his work, but he said that a subscription is insanely expensive (thousand of dollars/year) and you only get 4 or 5 discs a year. Yikes!

Gord

chris_clem

Second Unit
Gord,

Thanks for the link but I'm not sure about the DVDs here since theres no descriptions.
Damn! Sounds like those discs might have the kind of stuff I'm looking for but maybe a consumer-friendly version not costing thousands of $s!

Andrew,

Thanks for that "Pinball" link! Great stuff!:emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
The Mill have another beautiful automobile commercial spot entitled 'Clouds'. This one is for the Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class.

Incredible photography, cloud effects, and what appears to be virtual camera techniques. There's a great shot where the camera rotates around the speeding vehicle a fairly short distance away.

'Clouds' spot
Find out how it was accomplished
Shot on 35mm but posted HD, every shot required considerable post-production, with many shots being composited from over 100 layers. In reality, the car was shot on an empty desert surrounded by a mainly blue, cloud-less sky. Most clouds and shadows visible in the final edit were created and added in post.

Given the complexity of the camera moves around the car, the Mercedes was often placed on a static rig. Hence The Mill was involved in considerable clean-up and complex compositing to make these rigged shots look like high-speed driving shots. Not only would the rig have to be painted out, but the illusion of a moving floor would have to be created in Flame and inserted under the car.

Reminds me of how artists get Star Trek’s Enterprise and other movie spaceships to fly.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
david_slater wrote (post #11):

Actually, the money and mindpower put into U.S. commercials produce quite a number of enjoyable "series".

To recall a few I'd like to have:

(a) Those KIA commercials of a few years ago. (The "gay" trucker one was the most memorable, but there were several other equally hilarious ones, as well.)

(b) Snickers bars campaigns ("Not going anywhere real soon?")

(c) The earlier "It's not delivery. It's DiGiorno"
http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98581&highlight=DiGiorno-campaign.

(d) The Mitsubishi automobile ads.

(e) "Are you jellin'?" (Dr. Scholls)

Would that the "sitcoms" littering the airwaves and cable bands were half as funny or otherwise entertaining as these are. They and many others are worth owning in their own right, in my opinion.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't mind the Max Headroom Coca Cola commercials, the Dave Thomas Wendy's commercials (especially the ones he did around Olympics time), Laurence Olivier's Polaroid (I think?) commercials, etc. Michael J. Fox's Pepsi commercials back in the '80s. Early Volkswagon commercials. TV Land's 50 Best Commercials special a few years ago featured some amazing work. True, most commercials are crap, but some of the best campaigns have been genuinely creative and entertaining. Much the same could be said about music videos, yet we (generally) think nothing of those on tape and DVD.

Some of the big names today still do commercials in other countries, most notably Japan. I remember hearing that the quality of Australian commercials went down noticeably when the rest of the world started to take note of Australian cinema, since commercials was the one place where all the Australian talent could get regular work before the Aussie film boom.

Depending on the decade and the content, I actually wouldn't mind a disc or two of classic commercials.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
I want all of Pixar's commercials on dvd. Badly.

Seconding others mentioned- all the Max Headroom stuff would be fun on discs of the series (drama- with maybe 'selected' parts of the talk show stuff... but I suppose completists would have to have it all...).

Love that Cog ad- haven't seen Pinball yet...

Glad the Butterfinger spots are on The Simpsons discs.

Wish some Spike Jonze ads had made it onto his excellent 'Work of' Directors Series disc- especially like those Ikea spots with the guy chiding the audience for feeling sympathy for inanimate objects.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
The Citroën C4's transformer dance
Here's another worthy addition to the 'unique and cool' topic of commercial spots; this time for a Citroën. The Citroën C4 transforms and dances like Justin Timberlake’s choreographer, Marty Kudelka ;).

Companies in London, Toronto, and Vancouver were involved in making the spot. The director was Neill Blomkamp (of Toronto’s Spy Films), 2004 Cannes Film Festival’s best up and coming non-European director.

Vancouver's 'The Embassy Visual Effects' has the spot in mov format here.
You can find a compressed version here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks