What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (2 Viewers)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
rdimucci said:
Maybe so. But would these posters prefer the current Universal model or the current Warner model?
I sure wish Universal had something like Warner archives

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
That goes for most of us who visit this site. They do have an on - demand program , but haven't done too much with it. Maybe in the future.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
With Badlands, I'd also imagine there's some sort of co-ownership situation with Pressman, because I think if it was all Warners owned it wouldn't have been pried loose.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
JoeDoakes said:
I sure wish Universal had something like Warner archives
I know there's some discontent with Warner's decisions to issue some catalog titles on MOD rather than blu-ray. But if the choice comes down to the Warner Archive (even the Fox MOD) model of issuing multiple titles, many in disappointing quality, or the Universal Vault model -- namely, barely releasing anything at all, out of one of the biggest film libraries in the business.... that's not too hard a choice for me. Just give fans the option of seeing these titles, even if the quality is less than ideal.

Seanhtf

Grip
Real Name
Sean O'Malley
DeWilson said:
I was more interested in how they groups, packaged and sold the films for television.One film that seems to fall through the cracks in the 1938 LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE Film
MCA didn't get Paramount's 1938 LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Deep Discount currently have a sale of many Olive Films' back catalog DVDs and BRDs; i.e. no recent titles. In some cases, the BRDs are cheaper than the respective DVD!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Any clues as to the status or ETAs of the 2014 releases (including SHANGHAI STORY, HELL'S FIVE HOURS and WORLD FOR RANSOM)that Olive announced on Dec.10 for 2014 release? Also curious as to the status of the Gaumont titles (like J'ACCUSE) they announced for 2013 release...?I miss MisterLime....

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Camps said:
I miss MisterLime....
So do I! We now have to hunt for information about new Olive releases.

DVD Savant has just given a very favorable review to Olive's Cry Danger BRD. I've pre-ordered from DVD Pacific who have the best price on this . . . and on several other discs too. (Just look at their price for the Sabrina BRD)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Brandon Conway said:
The problem is really that the 1930s films are in pretty poor condition. IIRC it took quite a bit of effort to make them more presentable even for DVD, and even then the earliest films in the Universal set have glaring problems.
re: the Marx Brothers movies.

I saw a 35mm print of "Duck Soup" maybe three years ago that looked fantastic - better than the Image DVD I own, and generally far better than I ever expected to see it. The Film Forum in NYC showed a DCP of "Duck Soup" a couple weeks ago, and while I wasn't able to make it, the existence of Marx Bros film in a new digital theatrical release format suggests that there should still be something around to make a reasonably good disc out of.

Here's hoping that one day that happens.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Those were recently announced acquisitions and planned releases. However, Olive still isn't through with its initial list of Republic titles dating back to 2012. We might see them this year but most likely those likely won't show up until next year.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Here's the list of the remaining Paramount/Republic licensed titles as best as I can tell (please let me know of any corrections):The Adalen Riots (1969)Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951)The Beat Generation (1959)Beware, My Lovely (1952)The Big Operator (1959)Cauldron of Blood (1970)Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)Distant Drums (1951)Dragonfly Squadron 3D (1954)Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)The Eternal Sea (1955)Flying Disc Man from Mars (1950)Hell's Five Hours (1958)High School Confidential (1958)I've Always Loved You (1946)The Invisible Monster (1950)The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974)Magnificent Doll (1946)Man of Conquest (1939)Outrage (1950)The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)The Quiet Gun (1957)Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)The Shanghai Story (1954)South of St. Louis (1949)The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)Stranger at My Door (1956)That's My Man (1947)Track the Man Down (1955)The Weapon (1956)Woman They Almost Lynched (1953)World for Ransom (1954)There should also be a release of The Betty Boop Essential Collection Vol. 4 (1932-1938)And the following DVD-only releases should get upgraded to Blu-ray at some point:The Buccaneer (1938)The Lawless (1950)No Man of Her Own (1950)Pony Express (1953)Something to Live For (1952)Tropic of Cancer (1970)So that's 33 BD/DVD releases and 6 BD upgrades, for 39 releases for the Paramount/Republic titles in August-December. Seems very doable if they can release 10 in July.Keep in mind that the following titles in the Republic catalog will not be released due to poor or missing film elements:Blood on the Sun (1945)Breakthrough (1979)Cadence (1990)Dakota (1945)Fighter Attack (1953)A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)The Last Command (1955)A Man Alone (1955)Marjorie Morningstar (1958)One of Our Aircraft Is Missing (1942)Oregon Trail (1936)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
You missed one more from the Republic deal. That title is Try and Get Me (1950) (aka The Sound of Fury)

There are also 10-20 Gaumont and Bavaria licensed films that have yet to be released that have been announced as far back as 2010.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Olive will also be putting out MOONTRAP (1989) in a few months. I think it's going to be same transfer though as the German version.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Brandon Conway said:
Keep in mind that the following titles in the Republic catalog will not be released due to poor or missing film elements:Blood on the Sun (1945)Breakthrough (1979)Cadence (1990)Dakota (1945)Fighter Attack (1953)A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)The Last Command (1955)A Man Alone (1955)Marjorie Morningstar (1958)One of Our Aircraft Is Missing (1942)Oregon Trail (1936)
Interesting, some of these exist and have played on Cable outlets over the last few years.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Re: The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry - Moonrise - Pitfall -- these seem to no longer be a part of the Republic library.

See:

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10424&start=575

Scroll down for posts by Bill Watkins, Props55, David Hare and JonathanS.

The discussion doesn´t give any clear info about who owns these films.

JonathanS refers to a good print of Uncle Harry, seen on UK TV. It opens with a title: "Charles K. Feldman presents -- A Universal Release". Maybe the Feldman library is a separate entity.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
DeWilson said:
Interesting, some of these exist and have played on Cable outlets over the last few years.
How about the "B" movie The Monster Of Piedras Blancas ? Republic had that out on VHS and it played on TBS back in the 1990's , but it's never mentioned for an Olive release. I'm guessing that there are problems with the film elements . Incidentally , it's a shame about Marjorie Morningstar and Last Command .

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
LeoAmes said:
One of Our Aircraft is Missing was on TCM a few months back.
And it is on Amazon Instant Video. Print looks fine, hard to believe Olive passed because elements were in bad shape especially since some of Olive's releases don't look that great to begin with. I'd rather have an average Blu than no blu at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks