What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Directors combined top film lists (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Just to be clear, is this supposed to be the our top thirty favorite films or the top thirty we think are the greatest films? For myself, those are two similar, but seperate in my mind.

I've got a list ready to ship as soon as the question is answered.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think I said 'greatest', although I leave it up to you.
OK, here we go.

A few things. First of all, I certainly can't simulate the interaction that would go on between two people. I'm sure there would be negotiating etc. ("I'll let you stick that piece of garbage on the list, if you let me move this up to the top 10"). All I've done is combined the lists in a purely objective mathematical fashion.

Having said that, there is more than one algorithm that can be used to do so. What I've picked here is one that I think is most accurate. However, this (rightly I think) tends to minimize the idiosyncricies of the list. For example, it's well known that Rob Tomlin (who hasn't submitted a list :frowning: ) has at #1 Lawrence of Arabia, which is nowhere in my top 150. But we have a lot of overlap on other movies we think are great. So, if you merged our lists, LOA wouldn't show up anywhere near the top 10.

While that's good from an accuracy pov, it also probably makes it harder to guess whose combined list you're looking at. If this first one turns out to be too hard (which I think it will), then I may play around with some other combining algorithms that keep more of the idioscyncratic nature of the lists. I've looked at a number of top 10 combined lists and they're all different, but I'm not so sure how easy it'll be to guess who generated them. They tend to be filled with classics, though the different lists all have different sets of classics in different orders.

Also, the rules. I thought a lot about this, and I've decided not to have any. I would like you to post in bold the pair you think the list belongs to (e.g., George Kaplan/Rob Tomlin), but whatever you want to say about the list or speculate about whose it is and why you think so, feel free.

Here are the possible choices for today's list (the ones I've got final lists from so far):

George Kaplan
Erik G
Angelo M
Nick Sievers
Lew Crippen
Alex Spindler
Brook K
Simon Lepine
Steve Gon
John C. Wilson

If you've submitted your list to me, and I haven't listed your name, let me know.

So, without further ado:

Combined Top 10 list #1:

1. Vertigo
2. The Third Man
3. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Seven Samurai
6. The 400 Blows
7. Taxi Driver
8. The Apartment
9. The Godfather, Part 2
10. Casablanca

If no one has guessed this correctly by tomorrow morning I'll add 11-20 to the list, and leave it for one more day before posting the next one.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Shouldn't we remove the Top 20 lists from our sig for this?

Anyway, I agree this is hard ... I'm thinking it might be me and someone else but I'm not even sure since some in this top 10 are quite far on my list :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've been fooling around a bit, and I don't know if this will help, but I think it might.

In addition to the 'accurate' list, I'll will put in spoiler tags, a more 'idiosyncratic' list using a different algorithm. This will look similar, but with some differences, hopefully, giving more away. Try to guess without looking at it, and then go there if you need to. I'll also try to see if there are person combinations that yeild more distinctive lists for future rounds.

Combined Top 10 list #1A:

1. Vertigo
2. The Third Man
3. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
4. The Passion of Joan of Arc
5. Pulp Fiction
6. The 400 Blows
7. The Godfather, Part 2
8. Rear Window
9. Diary of a Country Priest
10. Children of Paradise

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
EDIT: changed my mind... Nick/Steve.

I have seen so many great movies in the past year that it's become very hard for me to come up with a short list of favorites, much less put them in any kind of order.

Arman

Screenwriter
george,

I PM you my updated ordered list (Top 100).

combined top film lists 1: Simon/Angelo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarinyanaka
Recent bookmarks