What's new

Colorvision Spyder Calibration for Sammy DLP (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I recently purchased the colorvision spyder hoping to get a better TV calibration than I was getting using AVIA.

For the most part I think the Spyder did a good job but I have a few questions:

1) Is there any anomolies specific to the Samsung DLP (i have an older HLN 61) that the Spyder doesn't consider?
2) When I did the cailbration, I am not sure the device was completely flush to my screen (we are talking one corner a few millimeters off the screen so not a large space but still a space). Would this effect the calibration?
3) When I did the calibration I left a light on in the corner to better simulate my actual viewing environment, was this a bad idea? Should I have completely rid the room of ambient light and then done the calibration?

The reason I ask is: While the picture looks good and flesh tones look more natural most of the time, the blacks seem to be off somehow. I can't say exactly what the problem is but the blacks, when watching Hi Def movies on the Toshiba HD A1 (software version 2.0 via DVI), the blacks look slightly less than black, which can give the picture a slightly odd quality. Also, in darker scenes, flesh tones tend to go red rather than flesh colored. I did not have this issue before calibration, although before the spyder calibration I had different issues with the AVIA calibration.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Regards,

Dave

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

DVD test patterns used by the spydertv don't give you calibrated results on the HD signal path.

Optimal for SD may be too dark for HD ... (typical)

Regards

Dave>h

Second Unit
Michael,

Thanks for the reply although I am not sure I understand your response.

Are you saying the SD test patterns, even when upconverted to 1080i by my Toshiba HD A1, are not giving proper readings for an HD signal?

The only image path from the HD DVD player to my TV is via the HDMI/DVI cable directly to the TV so I am not sure how the signal path would differ. Unless an HD signal travels through the HD A1 differently than the SD signal does. I suppose this is possible.

If it is typically too dark what setting would I need to adjust to correct this?

Is the upcoming DVE HD DVD the only way to properly test and calibrate an HD display? Is so, will it work with the spyder or is there a way to get it to work with the spyder?

Thanks very much!!

Dave

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

The only thing I can think of adding.

If you have no other means to calibrate HD then use the DVD player plugged into the HD input. Please note that your brightness control / black level may be very different if you do it this way.

DVE HDDVD is for calibrating a HDDVD player.
ps: it is available as a preorder on www.lionav.com :)

happy tweeking!

Gregg

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
calibrating by DVD (SD or HD) does not calibrate for your other sources (cable, sat) even if you calibrate on the actual input you'll use for the other source.

it is a good starting point, but like said above, the cable/sat is usually too dark and needs picture/brightness adjustment. color is usually pretty close.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe there is some confusion. My only HD source is an HD DVD player. We don't have HD satelite or cable or anything in Bermuda.

My questions and concerns stem directly from my HD DVD player being connected to my Samsung DLP via hdmi to DVI connection.

I would really appreciate any further comments on this situation and on whether there are additional uses for the spyder above and beyond the basic calibration done via the DVD.

thanks again. This forum is always a great source of information!

Dave

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Get that home made HD DVD test disc that is floating around. It has graybar patterns.

If you know the backdoor to the spyder ... it can be used as a color analyzer to get the grayscale right on the TV.

regards

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
yes you can use the STV program to calibrate your HDDVD player (or blu Ray player). Just make sure you are able to convert scan rate to whatever you are set for for HDDVD / BR.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses.

No idea how to backdoor the spyder to test grayscale although would love to learn more about it. Can you help or direct me to a website? Any idea where I can get the HD DVD test disk?

I know that Video Essentials is bringing one out but it isn't released yet. Is there a way to use that disk with the Spyder?

Gregg, on the scan rate comment. ARe you saying that I need to make sure my TV can accept 1080i? That is the output from the HD DVD player and my TV is able to accept this input. I think that is what you are getting at but not entirely sure...

Thanks again for the responses, I really apprecaite the help. TV calibration is still a bit of a mystery for me.

Regards,

Dave

Dave>h

Second Unit
OK,

I re rean the spyder calibration software, this time with no ambient light and at night, basically as dark as my room gets.

Pretty pleased with the picture but last night I was watching Miami Vice on HD DVD and the picture seemed quite dark to me and the red seemed to be a bit heavy. It wasn't exactly distracting but it just looked a bit odd. Skin tones and outside day shots looked fantastic for the most part, although there was one seen where Crockett is in Cuba standing outside which looked dark for the setting. Blacks look good, good shadow delineation although maybe a bit too dark? Not sure.

Should I retry the calibration. is this disk specific - I doubt it. Is this HD DVD specific? I understand that the HDMI to DVI on the Toshiba HD A1 is problematic when it comes to blacks but I am not sure what the issue is exactly or how it would effect picture quality.

Any more information would be appreciated.

Dave

Dave>h

Second Unit
Teh SAGA continues...

Last night, I again recalibrated with the Spyder and got the exact same settings as previous:

Contrast 63
Brightness 62
Color 43

I then tested the Color with my AVIA disk and the picture was perfect for blue but was overemphasizing red 10-15% and under emphasizing green by 5%, according the color decoder.

I upped the color to 53. This caused the red to be slightly under emphasized, 5%, blue to be about perfect and green to be slightly overemphasized - 5%. This was the best I could get.

I then re watched the Dukes of Hazzard, which previously had looked very red. The flesh tones were MUCH improved. I then watched the Mummy and found the flesh tones in that movies to be slightly red but generally excellent and I didn't have any problem buying into the fact that some pasty English guy might actually have a sunburn in the Desert.

Anyone else know if the Spyder tends to over emphasize red in its calibration for DLP? Is this DLP specific or is it something I need to watch out for on other displays types as well?

Thanks,

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks