What's new

Classic TV show you should be into/couldn’t get into (2 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I can't watch The Honeymooners today. Too much "pow, right in the kisser" threats of domestic violence for me.

That never bothered me. It was always obvious to me even as a kid that Alice saw his threats as empty bluster, and never took them seriously, so neither did I. Ralph was a man-child, pure and simple.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
don kirchner's rock concert,one of the very first music video television series,was in first run syndication from the 70's.worth checking out.
the danny kaye show,variety television series from the early days of television,is worth watching.lot of celebrities and musical numbers,this one is worth checking out.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
That never bothered me. It was always obvious to me even as a kid that Alice saw his threats as empty bluster, and never took them seriously, so neither did I. Ralph was a man-child, pure and simple.
it's very offensive and very rude remarks,no thank you.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
dinotopia,television series from the 2000's,it was very short lived family adventure series on abc,this television series is about two brothers who travels to the lost island to save dinosaurs and humans live,very much family entertainment.worth checking out.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Even as a kid I didn't care for The Honeymooners - mostly due to Ralph's attitude and constant threats towards others, not just Alice.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
the kids are alright a 2010's abc sitcom which is very short lived family/teen sitcom,about a jewish/greek family,stars mary mccormick(in plain sight,deep impact,murder one)very underrated family/teen sitcom,that was way ahead of it's time.
men in trees,a woman's version of the 90's television classic northern exposure this time is a woman living in alaska is a author is relative expert ,what women should look for and avoid when trying to find a perfect man.but like experts,she failed on her advice,underrated television series of the 2000's,way ahead of it's time,definitly worth checking out.
notes from the underbelly,the short lived 2000's sitcom stars vh1's rachel harris and peter cambor,about a couple who is expecting to have a baby to hide there secret from their friends and parents,when they revealed it.the couple knew there
is understanding and demanding as they hoped,,it's pretty funny.with it's slapstick humor,family setting,and heart messages ,this show is worth checking out.very underrated television shows of the 2000's.
'

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
The Honeymooners
All In The Family
Maude
The Jeffersons
Archie Bunker's Place
That 70's Show
The King Of Queens
Mom
very offensive and lots of bad words.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
The Honeymooners and the one's have mentioned earlier in this post.
I've never considered The Honeymooners offensive, and I know the show doesn't use profanity. Of the other shows, I can see how they could possibly rub people the wrong way because they are political (i.e. All in the Family and Maude) or use an unnecessary amount of drugs, sex, and cursing (i.e. That '70s Show).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
He might mean "offensive" in the way Ralph sometimes treats Alice with threats. I can understand why someone might think that, although I always took it as empty bluster. That, and that it was obvious Alice would tear him a new one if he tried. :D

As for bad words, I can't imagine any show of that era having any words that would be considered "bad" today. But, different people have different standards.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I always found Ralph's way of dealing with people offensive. He's a bully - maybe not with actions, at least not on screen, but certainly with his words and phrasing. He's someone I'd make every effort to avoid.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yes absolutely. He was a bully and a blowhard and had delusions of grandeur. He was to be laughed at. He schemes never worked and he failed at everything because he never approached it the right way and watching him fail was where I got the most enjoyment (Ed was my go-to for genuine laughs). But Ralph's saving grace was that he had a good heart and when confronted, admitted in the end that he was wrong. Alice knew he was all volume and no action and she was the perfect foil because she was just as tough.

Like Archie Bunker, he wasn't the kind of person you wanted to be related to or were expected to be like. Usually, the stories were about their comeuppance. The difference is that Archie eventually grew as the character lived on for over a decade. Ralph was never expected to. I can watch the Classic 39 episodes repeatedly and find them hilarious every time. Everyone's got a fave. Run an I Love Lucy and I want to slit my wrists before the "feels like an eternity" 25 minutes has passed. I respect the show's importance and legend but holy shitake mushrooms. What a chore.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Run an I Love Lucy and I want to slit my wrists before the "feels like an eternity" 25 minutes has passed. I respect the show's importance and legend but holy shitake mushrooms. What a chore.

And I feel similarly about certain dramas and action series; when I put on any Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode (only could finish one go of it [the B/W first one, 1964-65]), it was so slowly-paced that 50 min. felt like 3-4 hrs. (by comparison, The Streets of San Francisco and Emergency! from the 70s [one on ABC, the other on NBC] were so fluidly-paced and action-packed that they felt like a breeze and were absolute joys to watch [and they will always be essentials in my collection on just those grounds]).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks