What's new

CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (retitled thread) (1 Viewer)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
C.S. Lewis's biography is actually quite the compelling story.

And the more I think about it, they shred a lot of what Lewis termed "true mythology" out of the BBC productions. Where was the lamb at the end of Dawn Treader? Phooey! :frowning:

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Thanx for the answers everyone!

Actually, The Hobbit isn't a prequel to LOTR, it's a prelude. It was published years before LOTR.
Yeah I know... Sorry for my bad choice of words, but you might notice I'm not a native english speaker, didn't really think about the difference there... :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I just rewatched PRINCE CASPIAN (BBC) for the first time in years. My thoughts? Well, I can definitely see the low budget shining through. It didn't bother me as a kid, and to be honest, it doesn't really bother me all that much as an adult. The BBC shows were fairly faithful to the source material. They at least had the right feel down. I always felt that CASPIAN was given a bit of a short shrift in that the whole book was done in just 50 minutes, while the other three books were given much more time to develop. I know that CASPIAN doesn't have the compelling plot of some of the others, though. I'd love to see some nice big-budget versions of the books, but I agree that unless the studio is willing to hire someone with a true love of the source material and give that person free reign to pursue his/her vision, it would be very easy to end up with lifeless dreck like the Harry Potter films.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
A very good film, but I was disappointed that it didn't spend any time on Lewis's literary career.
Well, Shadowlands was a stage play first (unless it was a movie adapted to a play, I don't think so though), so it was bound not to be a kind of historical documentary thing.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
This website seems...oh...I don't know...awfully familiar. It reminds me of something recent, something I can't quite put my finger on...its right on the tip of my tongue...

Take a look for yourselves...

http://www.narnia.com/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How so? The style of the Narnia website may be inspired by the LOTR wsite, but it's not a clone by any means. What do you find "awfully familiar"?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Oh, maybe I'm one of those few who remember the old LOTR site from 2000 -- large globes adorned with flowing gold lines with titles like "Explore Middle-Earth" instead of "Discover Narnia", "The Legend" instead of "The Chronicles", etc.

Did not mean any offense, Dave.

Andrew Priest

Stunt Coordinator
Heh. And yet is seems appropriate considering everything. It's not like this is just any fantasy series being made into a movie.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did not mean any offense, Dave
My words were terse, but I didn't mean to imply offense. I just didn't understand the comparison between, I assumed, the current sites. I didn't pay attention to the LOTR website back in 2000 so I didn't realize it looked different then.

Now if Lewis had made the Narnia website, and Tolkien had made the LORT websites, it might be amusing if one copied the other. Though I'd expect that Lewis would have done it quickly and simply, and gotten millions of visitors. Tolkien would have done it painstakingly, having built the hosting computer starting with unrefined sand, and then been annoyed at Lewis for having done it so easily. :)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I love both series of books - Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite of the Narnia chronicles. I haven't read the book since I was ten years old, but the characters still live in my memory. Should make for a great movie.

I had a hard time getting into The Last Battle when I was 10, though. That's not going to be the most blistering piece of cinema of the year, if they stick to the book.

I had never read any criticism of the Narnia books by Tolkien. I knew that the two were contemporaries and friends. Lewis' 1st book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, is a cracking good story. Tolkien surely could have admired it for that.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I don't remember details, but I do know that Lewis liked LotR a lot more then Tolkien liked Narnia, but again I don't remember why.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
For me, the obvious difference between both series is that each Narnia book is self-contained for the most part, while the only self-contained Tolkien book is The Hobbit. Tolkien's second book, The Lord of the Rings[/], was split into three parts, but they are all ultimately one story.

I don't have a memory of such narrative completion in Lewis' Narnia Chronicles. Each book was its own animal -- no pun intended. Again, my memories of The Last Battle are quite vague, as it failed to seize my imagination like the other six. Even The Horse and His Boy and The Silver Chair are more vivid to me.

I think the best of Lewis' books are The Magician's Nephew, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Prince Caspian is another good book, but I'd rank it with the other four. Last Battle would be my least favorite -- maybe I should read it again as an adult.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, the reason Tolkien criticized the Narnia books was that he felt Lewis used too much allegory. Tolkien of course firmly denied that his books had any allegory at all.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
If you look up at DaveF's post, you'll realise he's making quite a funny joke about why Tolkien was not a huge Narnia fan. He felt that Lewis was basically just throwing his world together to tell the stories, where Tolkien was going to a lot of effort to develop the whole world, and then just let the events happen in them. He disliked the way Lewis put too little care into creating the world of Narnia.

I went back and reread the books recently, and they were even better than I remembered.

I'm surprised by your dislike of The Last Battle, Ernest. To me, I found it quite fascinating and exciting. It also contains the one most upsetting moment in the entire series - when we learn that Susan is no longer a friend of Narnia. My only criticism of the book is that Lewis wasn't even attempting to hide the Christian analogies at that point.

But then, The Silver Chair was always my favourite. I always loved Puddleglum, and was delighted when the BBC series cast Doctor Who himself, Tom Baker, in the role.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I also really like The Silver Chair, my favorite book the series.

When I was a child I read every book except the Last Battle, don't remember why. I re-read the books later in my years and I enjoyed the Last Battle. Not sure why I couldn't get into it when I was a kid.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I'm surprised by your dislike of The Last Battle, Ernest."

Dude - I was ten years old. Allow 24 years to change a man.

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Finally this book gets a fair shot - I think this adaptation actually has a chance. I'm looking forward to see what they do with this. Early reports look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks