What's new

Christopher McQuarrie to write Wolverine Sequel (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=8612

Christopher McQuarrie has signed on to write the script for 20th Century Fox's Wolverinehttp://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=55129 sequel. McQuarrie won an oscar for writing The Usual Suspects and reteamed with that film's director, Bryan Singer, for the first X-Men.McQuarrie voluntarily took his name off X-Men when the final version was more in line with David Hayter's script than his.Hugh Jackman will again star as Logan/Wolverine. He is also producing via his Fox-based Seed production company along with Lauren Shuler Donner.The Hollywood Reporter says the movie's story line will takes its cue from the early 1980s Chris Claremont-Frank Miller miniseries, which is set in Japan and features Wolverine dealing with ninjas as he struggles whether to follow his animal killer instincts or the life under a samurai's code of honor and respect.Made for about $150 million, "Wolverine" earned $363.2 million worldwide.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Late last year, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" star Hugh Jackman began teasing that he'd like to bring Logan to Japan for a live-action adaptation of Frank Miller and Chris Claremont's fan-favorite story arc that had the Marvel Comics hero learning Eastern philosophy and fighting skills. While the actor offered up a confirmation of sorts prior to "Wolverine" hitting theaters that he was "talking to writers" about going the Japanese route for the sequel, the studio made it official after the film found success at the box office.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Do you really want to build on the complete turd that was the first Wolverine movie? It was bad to the point of incomprehensibility. You really want to go from The Usual Suspects to turd polisher?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Wait, it's a sequal to a prequal, that's still a prequal to the main movies? What happened to expanding the "Origins" line to other characters? Is this going to be called "X-Men: After Origins"?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
No hate here I thoroughly enjoyed Wolverine, looking forward to the dvd and to more sequels, prequels, reimaginings and whatever else they can come up with, hell I'll even watch Freddy vs Wolverine.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I initially liked WOLVERINE, but by the time it hit DVD, I did an about-face on the movie. To me WOLVERINE is a rated-R chatacter, and the movie should have been harder edged. Even for PG-13 they could have pushed it a bit further. With Aronofsky at the elm of the sequel, even though it'll still be a PG-13 flick, I'm actually looking forward to it.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
No matter who directs it, as long as Fox is behind it, it's still going to suck. I'll be really surprised if the filmmakers will have any control and make a good film.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given Jackman and Aronofsky's previous collaboration, I'm hoping Aronofsky gets a more 3-dimensional performance out of Jackman as Wolverine.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think most of Darren Aronofsky's work is excellent but I wonder why he's doing this movie. When he's dealing with a billion dollar franchise, a movie with a budget of $100 million or more and it's the studio's summer tentpole movie, he's not going to be able to make 'his' movie without alot of other people having alot of input on every aspect of the movie. Maybe he wants to branch out and make a big budget studio movie but none of his other work indicates that to me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Is this really happening???

Wolverine2 written by McQuarrie and possibly directed by Aronofsky???

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Jackman could have talked Aronofsky into the directing gig.

Yeah or maybe Aronofsky is a long time Wolverine/X-Men fan. With Aronofsky onboard, this movie is much more interesting to me but it just seems like an odd movie for him to make.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Aronofsky was attached to Batman Year One for awhile, so I dont think he's opposed to working in the superhero genre - but it still suprises me.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

I think most of Darren Aronofsky's work is excellent but I wonder why he's doing this movie. When he's dealing with a billion dollar franchise, a movie with a budget of $100 million or more and it's the studio's summer tentpole movie, he's not going to be able to make 'his' movie without alot of other people having alot of input on every aspect of the movie. Maybe he wants to branch out and make a big budget studio movie but none of his other work indicates that to me.

If the movie is a success, Aronofsky can make movies with a bigger budget than he does now. Compare it with Christopher Nolan, who finally got to make Inception after the successes of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what to think, however, I can honestly say I'll never sit down and watch the first one again.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez

Aronofsky out!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/19886/aronofsky-drops-out-of-the-wolverine-

My interest is out with Aronofsky leaving. I didn't like Origins.

Sad thing is, the nerd in me will see this regardless :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks