What's new

Christmas album reissues (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Obviously it depends on your musical tastes, but I am really enjoying Headin' for the Christmas Ball. Bear Family did a great job on this one, though my wife would say they could have left Jerry Lewis off of it (I'm not so enamored of his song either).

Track Listing:

• Georgie Auld & His Orchestra feat. Bill Darnell - Christmas Ball
  • Louis Prima & His Orchestra - Shake Hands With Santa Claus
  • Bill Bronson s Overtones with The Tommy Ferguson Trio - Christmas Is On Its Way
  • Roy Milton & His Solid Senders - Christmas Time Blues
  • Jo Stafford - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
  • Knuckles O'Toole & The Brigadiers - Jingle Bells
  • The Andrews Sisters - Jing-A-Ling, Jing-A-Ling
  • Benny Goodman & His Orchestra feat. Peggy Lee - Winter Weather
  • Georgie Auld & His Orchestra feat. Bill Darnell - It Ain't Snowin' Outside
  • Leroy Anderson & His ''Pops'' Concert Orchestra - Sleigh Ride
  • Art Mooney & His Orchestra - The Christmas Choo Choo Train
  • Lawrence Welk's Little Band feat. Janet, Brian, Cubby & The Lennon Sisters - Outer Space Santa
  • Barry Gordon - Zoomah, The Santa Claus From Mars
  • Fred Waring & The Pennsylvanians with The Glee Club - Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • Dorothy Collins - Mister Santa
  • Cary Grant - Christmas Lullaby
  • Mickey Rooney - Susie, The Snow Girl
  • Kay Martin & Her Body Guards - Come On Santa, Let's Have A Ball
  • Kay Martin & Her Body Guards - Santa's Doing The Horizontal Twist
  • Dinah Washington - Ole! Santa
  • Ramsey Lewis Trio - Christmas Blues
  • Dave King & The Keynotes - Hotta Chocolata
  • Tina Robin - Winter Wonderland Cha Cha
  • The Enchanters - Mambo, Santa, Mambo
  • The Surfers - Here Comes Santa Claus In A Red Canoe
  • Louis Armstrong - Christmas In New Orleans
  • Noël Chiboust Et Son Orchestre, feat. Django Reinhardt - Noël Blues
  • Jerry Lewis - I've Had A Very Merry Christmas
  • Johnny Otis & His Orchestra - Happy New Year, Baby
  • Ramsey Lewis Trio - What Are You Doing New Years Eve
  • Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians - Auld Lang Syne

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think you really have to like traditional country music (hillbilly music), as Christmas on the Range can get real nasal and twangy sounding.
This might be a case where for some folks a little goes a long way, but I enjoy it.

Track List:

• Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - When It's Christmas On The Range
  • Wilf Carter (Montana Slim) - Jolly Old St. Nicholas
  • Gene Autry - Here Comes Santa Claus
  • Bill Monroe - Christmas Time's A-Coming
  • The Louvin Brothers - It's Christmas Time
  • Ray Salter & The Twin City Playboys - Christmas Decoration
  • Little Jimmy Dickens - No Place Like Home On Christmas
  • Tex Ritter - Christmas Carols By The Old Corral
  • George Morgan - Blue Snowfall
  • Ernest Tubb - White Christmas
  • Cliff Bruner & His Texas Wanderers - Snowflakes
  • Eddy Arnold - Christmas Can't Be Far Away
  • Kitty Wells - Christmas Ain't Like Christmas Anymore
  • Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Empty Chair At The Christmas Table
  • Jim Reeves - Blue Christmas
  • Brenda Lee - I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus
  • Billy Briggs - North Pole Boogie
  • Red Foley - Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • George Jones - New Baby For Christmas
  • Wilf Carter - The Night Before Christmas In Texas,That Is
  • Nelson Young - Home At Christmas
  • Skeeter Davis - Santa Claus Is Coming
  • Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Santa's On His Way
  • The Prairie Ramblers - Cowboy Santa Claus
  • Terry Fell - We Wanna See Santa Do The Mambo
  • Ray Salter & The Twin City Playboys - I Wish Every Day Was Christmas

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll add that I got the new Dolly Parton CD and gotta admit that it goes into my stinker pile. I hate to say it because I love Dolly. But she sounds very old on this disc (that's something I REALLY hate to to say because I'm getting older, too). And too many of the cuts are "cutesy" (meaning that they have talking bits on them that don't hold up well on repeat listenings.

But arts criticism is subjective and I'm sure there are people out there who love the disc.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I had much the same reaction listening to clips on iTunes. I had high hopes for a new Dolly Christmas album, but this isn't the one I was hoping for.

I still think one of the best Christmas albums of all time is the Kenny & Dolly "Once Upon a Christmas" album.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll add that I got the new Dolly Parton CD and gotta admit that it goes into my stinker pile. I hate to say it because I love Dolly. But she sounds very old on this disc (that's something I REALLY hate to to say because I'm getting older, too). And too many of the cuts are "cutesy" (meaning that they have talking bits on them that don't hold up well on repeat listenings.
I hate to say this, but I have to agree with you. I was disappointed in this one as well.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess this, technically, is also not a Christmas LP reissue...but it's pretty close.

I ran into this CD this weekend at my local Barnes & Noble. I had never seen it before:

full

I thought it was going to be a compilation, of sorts, of Autry's various Christmas recordings. It is released on Varese Sarabande.

I was intrigued when I read the fine print on the back cover that "The masters used in this collection are from Gene Autry's opersonal archives. Every effort has been made to use the best source material available."

While the back cover also lists all the tracks and artists...it neglects to mention (although it might seem obvious to others) that all material was taken from live radio broadcasts of Autry's Melody Ranch radio show which aired on the CBS Radio Network from 1940 through 1956. The quality is quite good. The liner notes make clear that all tracks are sourced from Autry's personal archive of radio show lacquer transcription discs that were restored via digital transfer and restoration over the last twenty years.

Two big thumbs up from me. This is great music from a great musician and those he surrounded himself with.

And, frankly, it is always nice to hear alternate takes of recordings we have heard thousands of times over the years--especially Here Comes Santa Claus and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Here are the two Gene Autry Christmas CD's I have. The 1999 "Here Comes Santa Claus" is also on Varese Sarabande, but the recordings were all regular releases on Challenge and Republic from 1957 on. The 2003 Columbia/Legacy "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and other Christmas Classics" is all material released by Columbia Records from 1947 to 1956, so it has original hit versions on it. Sounds like what you have is something else again, and I'll be on the lookout for it.

View attachment 35177
Resurrecting two posts from four years back to say I finally snagged the two Varèse Sarabande Gene Autry CD's at fantastic prices. They are having a sale, so if anyone wants these they should grab them quick.

1606332968591.png

$3.58

1606332993964.png

$2.68

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Would love to see Scrooge 1970 Albert Finney soundtrack reissued.

It’s a crime that it hasn’t been reissued.

Watching the film tonight.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I decided after all to get at least one more Christmas Album this year, I got lucky and got this Album this week. View attachment 83749

I special-ordered that one when I heard about it, and it came in last week. I always wished I'd bought the 2 Buck Owens Christmas CD's that I saw at Tower Records in Seattle long, long ago, but this great new CD has both albums sounding spectacular, along with 2 bonus tracks. It's a dream come true for me, and for anyone with a fondness for Buck Owens and Christmas.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I finally bought a copy of Scrooge on vinyl so a cd version has to be coming now right??

Attachments

• 40F9563E-63D3-4147-BA08-1AA368F23CB9.jpeg
    40F9563E-63D3-4147-BA08-1AA368F23CB9.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 95
  • BA67BDB5-EDE4-413F-90FB-050A58C5E1E8.jpeg
    BA67BDB5-EDE4-413F-90FB-050A58C5E1E8.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 97
  • 2170117D-40CB-4425-9043-004DD105AC48.jpeg
    2170117D-40CB-4425-9043-004DD105AC48.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 93
  • DA2BB408-91F0-48AD-A3F3-FC2A50876E31.jpeg
    DA2BB408-91F0-48AD-A3F3-FC2A50876E31.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 93
  • 57234728-D88E-4CBB-A244-7663E8CF1724.jpeg
    57234728-D88E-4CBB-A244-7663E8CF1724.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 90

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just got the Leroy Anderson set too, a very close friend of mine a head honcho at Macy's for decades was actually Tony Bennett's gal for many years - he even proposed to her! She is also very good friends with Paul McCartney's wife and Sir Paul too! He even spent the day at her office. Now back to Christmas music LOVE this "Bonanza" CD it has been re-issued by Real Gone Music
81+0XWqPKLL._SY355_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks