What's new

"cheap" receiver with 4+ component video switching...? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Holton

Stunt Coordinator
Now that High-Def is becoming the output of choice... I need to upgrade the receiver in my theater. I can forsee needing the ability to switch between four seperate component signals (HDTV, XBox(360), PS2(3), and HD-DVD/Blue-Ray).

I have not seen any receivers (I havn't been looking long) that have more than two component inputs. Can anyone help? I'd love to spend less than $500 or $600 if possible.

I usually by HarmanKardon... but even their ultra-highend stuff only has three component inputs...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Few on the market even have 3, so your chances of finding 4 are pretty slim. Sounds like you are a candidate for a video switchbox. Many HD boxes today, and most likely HD/Blu-Ray will be HDMI - something to think about also. It wouldn't surprise me if the XB360 and PS3 were also HDMI.

Personally, I don't see the need to have game systems using component, and I would certainly give them much lower priority than an HD box or DVD player.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
best buy sells these component switchers for video game consoles - i was checking them out myself. on the box it even says it passes high bandwidth. heck, i think they even switch between optical inputs.

also, there's a thread somewhere about inexpensive component switching ... do a search and see if you can find it.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A company called "Mad Catz" sells a 4:1 switcher for about $40 that claims to handle HD frequencies. But they dont publish what they consider "HD Frequencies".

In an ideal world, you would find a switcher that says it has 90 Mhz or more bandwidth. But these run about $150. Audio Authority and Keohi (sp?) make some good ones. They learn the codes you use for your reciever and switch the video when you switch the audio.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Also, you could check out Pelican's System Selector Pro. They have models that support component switching and has optical inputs. It is supposed to be one of the better lower priced switchers on the market right now. I would recommend a manual switcher over a remote controlled one, as the remote models seem to have some bandwitch issues. Do a quick search on google and you'll find tons of info!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
A mechanical switcher shouldn't have bandwidth issues as I understand it - but subpar components could have a detrimental affect (the Pelican system selector pro is by all accounts OK, not fabulous, but OK).

I've got 2 on my Onkyo TX-SR601.

I ended up using a spare mechanical composite switcher for my Xbox/GC, the DVD player straight into the receiver for my other input. I consider the game consoles less mission-critical in this regard, so a mechanical switcher is fine with me.

Here's another option that I got from AVS forum:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...ideo/1154A.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks