What's new

Cheap DVD player to go with X1 (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have right now a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player thats still going strong, and an X1 on order...

The 2109's getting long in the tooth, and im considering picking up a cheap DVD player to go with it. Something along the lines of $100-$200CAD, preferably something I can pick up locally at FutureShop or A&Bsound.

I hear the JVC XVN40BK has gamma control which will help adjust the black level of the X1...

If I get one of these players, would it be better to go Progressive Scan and use the player's deinterlacer, or should i go S-video and use the X1's DCDi chip?

Would going component over Svideo for interlaced make a huge difference? I'd rather run one Svideo line rather than Three component lines to the projector, but if there will be a visible difference, I'd go with the components...

THanks in advance

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
Nickso,

I think that you will get the best picture from the component to VESA adapter. I have an X1 and am running component to S-video right now. My local Infocus dealer told me that the picture is actually better through the VESA port. You can pick up either adapter on the Infocus website for $10.

As far as a cheap DVD player goes-DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE PLAYER IF YOU CAN HELP IT! Since you will be projecting the image to such a large scale, any small defect will be that much more noticeable than on your regular television. You may want to consider waiting a bit and getting something for a couple hundred bucks more. You can get a really nice dvd player such as the denon 1600, Pioneer 47ai, Integra 7.3 and the Sony 999ES for about $600 or so, if memory serves. Believe me, you WILL notice a difference with that projector.

David

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If i get a component to VESA adaptor, that means i'd be using progressive scan, which would bypass the DCDi chip in the X1... And then i'd need to pick up a progressive scan DVD player anyways... And for my price range, the DCDi would do a better job deinterlacing than the player itself...

Its not like im buying APEX or some other no-name brand, im looking for a low-mid range player for the projector (Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba). Im not planning to spend $600US on a DVD player anytime soon.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I have had excellent luck with 3 Toshiba different models I believe it was SD4200 I am currently using. They all have worked well with my X1. I would second other's opinions and use the VESA adaptor. Much better quality than using the scaling (which is decent in itself) but nowhere near the quality of a decent progressive scan player. They were all in the $125-$150 range I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks