What's new

Changing pace...switching from Paradigm to B&W, suggestions? Sub? (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi,

I posted earlier about which Paradigm speakers I should consider upgrading to, no responses yet but I've recently auditioned a bunch of Paradigm and B&W speakers and am thinking I might switch to B&W. If I make the switch I will probably need a new sub. I currently have a Velodyne CT-100. It performs pretty well in my small 12' X 15' Room but I want more punch. I'm really out of the loop, just starting to catch back up again and am trying to stay within a tight budget. I'd like to spend 700 or less on a sub.

I have a 5.1 system with an Onkyo TX-DS777 AV Receiver.

The B&W's I'm considering are:

Fronts - DM604 S3
Center - LCR 600 S3
Surrounds - DM601 S3

Possible sub is the ASW 650 but I haven't auditioned any subs yet. Anyone have a recommendation within my $700 budget for a good musical and HT sub? I might just keep the Velodyne for a while and think about it. My ratio is probably 75% home theater - 25% music but that could change with better speakers.

Thanks for any advice on the sub and comments on my B&W selection. Let me know if there are better matches for surrounds or any other advice you might have. I'm still learning the new models.

Darren

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My first choice of a sub for that setup would be a vented Adire Allignment Tempest/Dayton DVC15" from Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio.

Well that is unless you have the space (these drivers require very large enclosures) and the ability (in other words basic wood working tools and skills) to build your own vented EBS Allignment Tempest/Dayton DVC15". Then you could just buy the driver and amp from Acoustic Visions and build the enclosure youself rather than have one of those places build it for you.

If you DIY, $500USD will get you a sub that can't be touched commercially until you start passing $1300 (and there are only a select few manufactures that can do so at the price, most are much higher). Either of those places should be less than $700 if they built it. Shipping will be the sticky part.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Thanks Dustin,

It just so happens that I build furniture for a hobby. I have a full woodshop and the skills to build a good solid enclosure. I can't believe I didn't think of building myself. I guess mainly because I've never attempted to build a quality speaker/sub before. Do you have any recommendations for a good 12" or 15" setup? I'm pretty dumb in the area of home built speakers. I'll try and do some research on this.

Thanks again.

Darren

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you are so set then Darren. You'll be able to make the sub look exactly how you want it and get performance for the price you won't believe. Here is a page that links to many different projects:
http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html
Given your budget I'd personally recommend, like I did above either an Adire or EBS type vented allignment using a Tempest of Dayton DVC 15" with an Adire AVA250 of PE 300-794 powering it.
The shape of the enclosure doesn't matter at all. The important part is the net internal volume (you have to subtract out the space the driver, bracing and port takes up) and what the port is tuned too. Also the Dayton can achieve these allignments in slightly smaller enclosures, but also has slightly less output capability than a Tempest.
This should also be useful.
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Vent...plications.PDF
You'll also want to get this thread moved into the DIY/Advanced section now as well.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Darren,

Very nice choice of speakers, I've owned the same ones you are looking at, with the exception of the LCR600. I still have an LCR6 s2 and it's a good performer.

I am a huge fan of B&W speakers, but not their subs. For the money, you can do much better. The DIY route is good, so are subs from SVS and Adire. Also, Velodyne and REL are good commercial choices. Stay away from the B&W subs.

Jeremy

Darren_T

Second Unit
Thanks a bunch Dustin and Jeremy (I'll stay away from B&W subs)

BTW, just found out Adire Audio is in Seattle and I just happen to live there. No shipping! But the price on PE seem quite a bit better. Hm....

Thanks again.

Darren

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well you're really in luck then. Give the guys at Adire a call and see if you can get a tour. You'll be one of the lucky few who got to hear what a Tempest could do before they built.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Like jeremy said, Stay away from B&W subs, you can find better. Rumor is that they will be coming out with some nice suns in the future, but I have heard that rumor many times before. I don't fall for the "little biy cried wolf" story any more.

Ned

Supporting Actor
It's strange how good B+W speakers are and how off-key their subs are (undefined for music, not much true rumble for movies).

DIY is certainly one option but not the only viable one. SVS, Adire (Dharman), HSU VTF2/3 are good options.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I disaggree Ned. If you got the tools and skills. Which Darren has at level significantly higher than most of the other guys who DIY. Nothing commercial, not even SVS, can come even close to what you can build when you factor in the cost.

Remember, the favorite DIY driver is Adire's Tempest. The big brother to the Shiva that is in the Dharman (Darren could build a Dharman clone for about $350). The Shiva compares to the Tempest like the driver in the SVS PCi compares to the SVS Ultra. And best part is it only costs about $25 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks