What's new

Changing Aspect Ratio -- how does it "flip" and what did you do with the revealed white space? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
John
Good morning. I am seeking advice for details regarding my wall and screen for my home theater. This is not in regards to the material… I think I have that. This is more in regards to the wall and the screen and the many questions I have – do I float, do I recess, do I allow the sound to come through, my wall color, how to handle changing aspect ratio, etc. 1. First… in regards to the Aspect Ratio. What happens when a projector changes between 4:3 and 16:9.? Does it maintain the same height and only change the width, or does it maintain the same width and only change the height? Or, does the projector do something else? In my case (below), which occurs? HEIGHT STAYS THE SAME Hi def 16 by 9 10 foot wide 5.625 tall or 5’ 7.5” in. Standard 4 by 3 10 ft wide 7.5 or 7’ 6” in. WIDTH STAYS THE SAME Hi def 16 by 9 10 foot wide 7.5 or 7’ 6” in Standard 4 by 3 13.33 ft wide or 13’ 4” 7.5 or 7’ 6” in In either case, my next question has to do with the new area of the screen that is not used but still exposed… either horizontally or vertically depending on the answer. Do you create a way to cover the new white that is exposed? I am planning on making sure my image fits perfectly in to my frame and that the borders are done in such a way that the light disappears. I feel that if I do not address this new white space not being utilized, that it will detract from the image. What are your thought on this, and how have you handled? John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My projector pillar boxes the picture. Meaning it adds black bars on the right and left side of the signal.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. Height stays the same. In fact, the projected image is still 16x9. It just projects black bars on the right and left. The other option is stretching the screen. I looked at that option for about 10 seconds.

pim69

Auditioning
Real Name
Erich
If you are buying a projection screen and have the budget, I believe the best solution for changing aspect ratios is to order electric masking with your screen. This moves dark panels of fabric over the areas where black bars are being projected, either vertically or horizontally. I do not have specific information as I have only read about this, but I have read the results are extremely good.

Grey high contrast projection screens also make the projected black bars look darker and would be less noticeable than on a white screen, and this solution is a whole lot cheaper than electronic masking.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that wider images (i.e. 2.35 movies) will also have bars above and below the image. So, you really need movable masking on all four sides of the picture.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Funny how everybody jumped in to say "height stays the same." That's only true if your projector has a native 16:9 aspect ratio (most do these days) but it you buy a projector that has a native 4X3 ratio then of course the opposite is true: width stays the same.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark-P

it you buy a projector that has a native 4X3 ratio then of course the opposite is true: width stays the same.

That's true for widescreen movies, but 4:3 movies will be pillarboxed, and the height will be the same as a 16:9 program.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Originally Posted by RobertR

That's true for widescreen movies, but 4:3 movies will be pillarboxed, and the height will be the same as a 16:9 program.

No, because if you set the screen type on your player to 4:3, it won't pillarbox programs. The only exception being high-definition programing where the pillarbox bars are hard-wired into the picture.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark-P

No, because if you set the screen type on your player to 4:3, it won't pillarbox programs. The only exception being high-definition programing where the pillarbox bars are hard-wired into the picture.

Yes, hidef is what I was talking about.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Not sure about height or width, but I am certain that thickness is the same for each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks