Cerwin Vega vs. Boston Acoustics sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris Baucom, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Cerwin Vega LW-12 12" powered sub. I have the opportunity to get a Boston Acoustics 10" PV-600 or a Klipsch KSW-10 a really good price. All other speakers in my system are Bostons and frankly, I have been looking for a sub that takes up a little less room.

Does anyone have any advice on this or experience with the Boston PV-600 or the KW-10 from Klipsch? Will a 10" vs. a 12" be noticeable on in my average sized living room?

2. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

I'm very interested on what decision you make. I too, have a CW-LW12 and I used to love it for what I thought was heartshaking, act-of-god bass...but after a spirited demo of the SVS PB2+ and Velodyne SPL1200, I realized the sub we own cannot pray to hit the lowest of low frequencies with any power whatsoever.

3. Kip Lackey

Kip Lackey Stunt Coordinator

Although I own a SVS, my other speakers are all Bostons. I demoed the PV600 and the PV800 as well. I did think the PV800 was more boomy than the PV600 but with a little more extension. For me, I would have bought the PV600. It was very close in actual performance. I can't speak for the other subs you mentioned but I really like the slick, glossy black top finish on the Boston subs. I was going buy at NOW in Greensboro because they would definitely deal on the price.

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I also have a CV sub that I thought sounded great till I heard a DIY sub. I auditioned it a few weeks ago will be getting it this weekend. Talk about a difference.

5. Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom Stunt Coordinator

Kip,

So why did you ultimately decide on the SVS? FYI, NOW was selling the PV600 for $199, but I couldn't get to it fast enough! My CV seems awfully boomy.