What's new

cd-rw's (1 Viewer)

ralph_barr

Auditioning
upgrade to a new computer this week. this is the first computer with a cd burner in it. can anyone tell me why the cd's I burn will not play in my car unit and what do I do to fix this problem? thanks in advance

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You can do some searching here, but these are the usual suspects:

1) You are using crap CD-R's. I say, you have to use a name brand like TDK, Maxell, Sony, or Fuji. (Or, the best is suppoosed to be Taiyo Yuden, or something.) I have never had a problem with any of these brands. I personally also tried Memorex, and had nothing *but* problems with them. My sister also had problems with Memorex.

1a) Even if you're using a good brand, try a different brand. Some drives like some brands more than others.

2) Simple fact: older CD players simply might not play *any* CD-R.

3) CD-R's are more compatible with players than CD-RW's.

4) Try slowing down the write speed in your burner. For example, my burner can burn at 48x, but I have it slowed down to 8x. That also helps with compatibility.

See if any of those help. :)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
5) if you are using CD-RW (rather than CD-R), then make sure you have finalised (or closed) the disc in the recording software.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, read the title of the thread ;) .....

ralph, ignore Kevin's post till he revises it.

Very few CD players can play CD-RWs. Almost all CD players can play CD-Rs.

If the "car unit" is not a modern unit that can play MP3 CDs and such, I'd say the chances are about 1 in 100 that it can play CD-RWs.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
also, when in doubt, write CD-DA discs, not collections of MP3 files.

And as an aside, the expense and bother of a CD-RW makes them, to me, a non-starter. I do use DVD-RWs as intermediate check-discs, but when I finish a DVD project, it gets written out to DVD-R.

Leo

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Maybe you are accidentally making data CDs rather than music CDs. It is a choice in whatever burning program you are using.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I suppose 'bother' could need to be justified...

When we first met the CD-RW, they were expensive, dead-dog slow, needed to be 'formatted' first at 1/2 the write speed, and were wildly incompatible with most players.

By the time any of those problems may have been fixed or not (I really quit paying attention,) the single-use CR-Rs were being commonly sold for

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I personally find the concept of throwaway CDs environmentally repulsive and just wasteful. I have a bunch of CD-RWs I've been using for all kinds of stuff for years, I don't find them to bea bother I find them to be great! And have you heard recently that the longevity of CD-Rs has come into quesiton (I know I've had a few kick out on me), while -RWs are found to be MUCH more long lasting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you have any links or references on this? I've been listening to the occaisional report on CD longevity, but what I've read is far from authoritative.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have experience of burning CD-Rs and CD-RWs to play on other players. Unless your CD player (car or not) says it is CD-R or CD-RW compatible, there is no guarantee it will play (although some will). I agree with the others here. Burn at the slowest speed and your results may improve. Also make sure the CD-RW is burned in one session, do not do multi-session and if it is, erase it and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks