CD adaptor for cassette player

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Karl_Luph, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I'm wanting to get one of these little units because my car's cassette player is fairly new and I was too cheap to buy a cd/cassette/am,fm/ player unit. That said, it looks like these adaptor units are easy to use. What i want to know is are they all about the same or are there some that are better and more durable. It looks like they all use a cassette tape shaped apparatus to plug into the cassette player. Thanks all!

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Karl,

I think they all use the same technology and are pretty much the same quality. You can pick one up cheap at Radio Shack, or lots of new cd/mp3 players even come packaged with one.

3. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Whats best about these car kits, is that you can use them with a cheap $30 MP3 discman, and have hours of uninterupted music on one disc, rather than having to change out discs after you tire of them.

Other than that, a 10-12 disc changer with RF modulation can be had for around $100 in the low end models.

4. Karl_Luph

Thanks for the posts guys, keep it coming. I appreciate all the info!

5. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

The down side is over a long time they can cause damage to the cassete player.

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick
    Mark,

I had never heard that before... what kind of damage?

7. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

8. Karl_Luph

Thanks for the input Mark. Can anyone else comment whether they've had a similar experience using one of these adaptor units?

9. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick
    I spent about 30 minutes just now searching google for anything about a cassette adapter causing damage to a head unit, and found nothing. There is no documentation of this "problem" that I could find anywhere. If these were actually damaging people's equipment, I would think it would be much more publicized, and I don't think so many companies would be selling them due to liability reasons. I mean, they have been around for almost 20 years, and even new technologies are utilizing these adapters - Satellite radio car kits come with them!

On another note Karl, I did find a few pages on my Google search that indicated some head units have problems recognizing the adapter. Some will continually reverse direction when no signal is being sent from the adapter, and a few decks that have some sort of pre-tensioner device for tapes will eject the adapter when it doesn't find any actual tape in it. It does seem that these are very rare problems though, and none of the people that mentioned these said anything about damage... they just couldn't use the adapter.

Hope this helps.

10. Karl_Luph

Thanks Jason, I guess the next thing to do is go buy one of these and try it out. This is a fantastic forum and it will really take off as soon as more people check it out. The car audio/video market is huge and everyone can benefit from what they learn here.

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I just bought one about a month ago. The sound quality isn't that good, but I really didn't expect it to be.

12. Karl_Luph

What brand and model did you get Paul? Also, would the cd audio be limited to what frequency response the cassette deck is capable of?

13. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick