What's new

CBS Status Report (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Definitely a CBS property. I simply forgot to include it originally. The list has been corrected.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't see what the lawsuit has to do with stalling Family Ties. Unless the Milton Berle theme appeared in seasons 6 and 7???

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
Ethan Riley said:
I don't see what the lawsuit has to do with stalling Family Ties. Unless the Milton Berle theme appeared in seasons 6 and 7???
I don't think it has anything to do with it either (although there have been "conspiracy theorists" who say otherwise)... I was just mentioning it since CBS and Family Ties was brought up. Honestly I don't think any of those lawsuits which CBS has faced... and there've been plenty... are the reasoning behind any of the stalling, but it just makes it sound like a better reason to stall a series than to consider what other factors may be in play (i.e. sales figures, music replacement, etc.). After all, Mannix faced the same type of lawsuit that Happy Days faced, but Mannix still kept going strong on DVD, most likely due to stronger sales and few (if any) music issues.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Another observation. In the first season and maybe later, a lot of people make some wise crack about his weight. Sometimes he also fun of it. I guess the country was a lot thinner at that time. In America today practically all adults are overweight and many are obese. I don't his weight would be any issue if it were made today.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
America as a whole may be...larger today, but with all the crime shows on television now, how many heroes look like William Conrad? He would still stand out physically. And look at one of the few shows starring overweight actors, Mike and Molly. Their weight formed the whole premise of the show and there are constant jokes about it. Perhaps Cannon's weight shouldn't be an issue for viewers today, but I suspect it would be.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
HenryDuBrow said:
:tu: How wonderful it is to see them go the MOD way as well, hopefully also eventually with series completely new to DVD like The Magician to name one. Wonder if this new Cannon release is remastered, but in any case I'm looking forward to it and would imagine (because of cross-over episodes) that Barnaby Jones isn't far behind, either as MOD or standard release. Fans have been very vocal lately on BJ and the wishes for it to continue are plenty so fingers crossed there.
I can tell you that The Magician is one of the shows that has been under consideration for release. Whether or not they actually do it or not, I have no idea, but since it was remastered for SciFi Channel for the run there in the 90s, they don't have to do any additional work on it.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of never released possibilities for MOD, what about When Things Were Rotten?
That one was rumored for release a couple years back, even getting as far as a news item on TVSOD, and a release date, price, and pre-order page on Amazon before disappearing back into the ether.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Lee, it's a bit vague how you've worded something in the starter post. Are you talking about CBS shows or CBS/P titles? Early Edition is a stalled series with only the first two seasons (of four in total) to date having been released on Region 1 DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/322857/cbs-status-report#post_3959277
Knots Landing is stalled at two season. However, i did receive info that Knots issues is due to music licensing. I think now that desperate housewives is done there could be more chance to future seasons released to dvd.

Received info, an answer to a question posted on the Warner Archive's Facebook page? Even though Knots aired on CBS, it's a Warner Brothers title.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sorry for the confusion, Richard. The corporate split makes it so much harder to discuss the subject! I amended the initial post to include Paramount. Thank you for bringing Early Edition to my attention. It is now on the list.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Referring to my previous post (post #29 on page 1 of this thread), apologies if I sounded a bit harsh Paul. There was an update on the Warner Archive's Facebook page recently about Knots Landing.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think that one year from today that about ten of the shows in the OP will be completed, and maybe then they can continue on with some of the long-stalled shows. CBS is known for suddenly pulling long-stalled shows out of nowhere. The only ones I don't expect to see are the ones where music is a problem. And even still, they might manage to work something out.
CBS/Paramount is obviously still committed to the tv-on-dvd game, as evidenced by the many, many releases they've offered this year alone. And every set they put out is a minor victory for fans of this particular medium.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
With so many CBS announcements about stalled shows getting upcoming releases,
it's both encouraging and frustrating for fans of Love Boat that no news on that show
has come yet. What could CBS have in mind? Is it possible that anything more than
than the continuation of half season sets is coming? Maybe a complete series in
two volumes? Fingers crossed.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
derosa said:
With so many CBS announcements about stalled shows getting upcoming releases,
it's both encouraging and frustrating for fans of Love Boat that no news on that show
has come yet. What could CBS have in mind? Is it possible that anything more than
than the continuation of half season sets is coming? Maybe a complete series in
two volumes? Fingers crossed.
23sydcz.jpg
I'm with you on this one. Hope we'll see it continuing soon.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gotta love that boat smiley Jeff. Well fingers crossed the Love Boat sets sail again in the not too distant future. (decided to get the rest of the first season of the show).

EDIT: Got 'avatar' and 'smiley' mixed up.

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
Seems like now would be a good time for it, especially given the fact that it has been remastered already (at least seasons 3-7 have) and as well with the recently-continued releases of Fantasy Island (different studio and all, of course, but I think most people associate the two shows as companion pieces), now would seem to be as good a time as ever.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
The announcement of the release of Cannon Season 3 has me dreaming of my holy grail of stalled CBS shows; Barnaby Jones. They did such a terrific job with the 13 episode first season, that I've been left begging for more ever since.
Maybe CBS will keep releasing more seasons of all of their stalled shows and make everyone happy.
I don't know why Love Boat hasn't seen a release lately. That would make a logical choice for continuance at this time.
I'm all in for that one!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
phenri said:
The announcement of the release of Cannon Season 3 has me dreaming of my holy grail of stalled CBS shows; Barnaby Jones. They did such a terrific job with the 13 episode first season, that I've been left begging for more ever since.
Maybe CBS will keep releasing more seasons of all of their stalled shows and make everyone happy.
I don't know why Love Boat hasn't seen a release lately. That would make a logical choice for continuance at this time.
I'm all in for that one!
It is strange that Fantasy Island has seasons coming out and nothing for love boat. The Love Boat and Fantasy Island should have similar following as they were shown back to back in the 1970s and early 1980s.
I am looking forward to Cannon as i have S1/S2 on dvd. I like William Conrad as burly/overweight ex cop turn PI. I also hope that they also bring out more of Jake and the Fatman as well.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Neil Brock said:
I can tell you that The Magician is one of the shows that has been under consideration for release. Whether or not they actually do it or not, I have no idea, but since it was remastered for SciFi Channel for the run there in the 90s, they don't have to do any additional work on it.
That is good to know, thanks. It looks almost like they are 'doing a Warner', certain top shows stay on traditional DVD while everything else remastered or not from the archives is for MOD now. We'll see. As for Cannon, it's probably not remastered but the S3 & beyond episodes I have all look better than S1-2 anyway so it's not too bad.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
younger1968 said:
The Love Boat and Fantasy Island should have similar following as they were shown back to back in the 1970s and early 1980s.
That's how I plan to rewatch them when we finally have the DVDs of both series.
I've collected a lot of ABC promos from youtube, the ones with Ernie Anderson
doing the voice overs for Saturday nights with Love Boat and Fantasy Island.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks