What's new

Car Shiva project for a friend. (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
Go to JLaudio.com and click tutorials. Here you will find out all you need to know about wiring DVC's.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Some more questions:

1) Could we get away with 1/2" MDF or is 3/4 required(I'm going for the 1.5 cu ft)?

2) Do I need bracing or is it not important in this small of a box?

3) How much does Shiva displace(in cu ft and litres)?

4) What is the Q of this box?

5) The shape of the box doesn't matter right?

Mark gas

Second Unit
Use 3/4 MDF
The shape of the bos does not mattter as long it is not square.

go to kicker.com they have cut sheets for different sized boxes including 1.5 cubic feet.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

The shape of a subwoofer enclosure is irrelevant. A perfect cube will not create any standing wave problems at the frequencies which a subwoofer operates.

GaryLP

Agent
I'm pretty surprised that no one has suggested considering a AV12. IMO, the AV12 looks much superior to the Shiva...at least on paper. More xmax, same low-end extension in a way smaller enclosure...what more could someone ask for?

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have a few questons i ordered a av15 for my car after seeing how good it did in my ht. i have a alpine mrv 1000 it is the older alpine good amps. and a av15. if i port it what should i tune to i want sq not spl. and i want to go low and sub sonic.i was thinking of around 2 cubes sealed or 2.5 slot ported.

thanks

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i still don't know why people want to go sub sonic with music applications?

I mean what are you listening when you are crusing pipe organ music? i think 20 is plenty low for music if that.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Update: Here is the design I think I will go with.

Box is 14 inches wide, 26 inches deep and 10 inches high.

Shiva is upfiring on on the right side of the top panel. The input cup will be on the end panel prependicular to Shiva.

My friend also wants to have pure SPL in addition to SQ. For this reason I have determined that a 4" port 9.5 inches long could be installed in the panel opposite to the input cup. It would fit easily. The tuning would be about 40hz, leaving a huge hump in the FR. The port could be plugged for SQ.

Gross volume is 50.7L and net volume is 44.5L when ports and driver are subtracted.

Would a midbrace be nescessary? Is my box a poor design?

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
any news?
Yes. My friend ordered a second Shiva. He didn't warn me or anything. He comes up to me and the converstaion goes like this:
Me: So when are you gonna build that box I designed.
Him: Soon, but you need to make one change to the box
Me: And what's that?
Him: Make space for another woofer.

So I am going to put them in a 45L enclosure with a pluggable port tuned to about 40hz for SPL. They will be wired for a net load of 20hms. I believe the amp he is using is a BP600. Acording to LSPCad the Shivas will take about 800 watts total before bottoming at most frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks