What's new

Canon 40D or XSi (450D) (2 Viewers)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I also use DPP for RAW conversions (minor exposure/white balance etc) and use Elements 5 for further edits.

Make sure you go to Canon's website and download the latest version of DPP as they do update it regularly.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think I'll give RAW and DPP a shot. I know a lot of times when I'm shooting basketball, those gymnasiums can sometimes be oddly lit, that I need to do a lot of color adjustments. RAW will make this easier and be more effective?

My 50D was delivered today!

Right now, I save a copy of the original JPEG, and then save a separate copy to edit so I always can go back to the original JPEG. Since I always keep an original JPEG, what advantage would I gain using RAW and DPP? Is DPP/RAW just that much more effective in correcting exposure and color issues?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jpeg is a lossy compressed format. Any time you do any editing on a jpeg file, information is lost. In fact, just saving the initial jpeg in the camera will result in some data loss. RAW is a lossless compression, so no information is lost in camera when the image is initially saved. Some settings can then be adjusted in software after the fact with zero loss of data -- white balance is such a setting. With exposure, there will be some loss of either highlights or shadow detail (depending on whether the original was over or under exposed), but not nearly as much as if you make the edits on a jpeg file.

Think of raw as a digital negative, and jpeg as a processed photo from that negative.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks Scott. One more question. I shot a few pictures RAW tonight. I loaded them up in DPP and made some adjustments (color temp, brightness, sharpness, etc.) and then saved it. I then reloaded the RAW file into DPP and went to "adjustment" then "revert to shot settings" and it seemed to put the RAW file back like it was originally. Did I lose anything quality doing these changes then going back to the original "as shot" image? If not, that's pretty a pretty neat thing to be able to do.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bryan, the "revert to shot settings" should not result in any data loss when working with a RAW file. DPP is not changing the actual file, but instead just changing settings for when you actually process the image. That's one of the big advantages of RAW. In contrast, every time you make a change on a jpeg file, some information is lost.

Chances are, once you get used to shooting in RAW, you'll never go back to jpeg. In my case, I've never shot a single photo in jpeg with my 40D, and I've had the camera for over a year.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think there are definately times when I will want to shoot RAW, like when I'm trying to shoot basketball. The lighting can really give me fits and I can see RAW giving me the oportunity to save some shots I would have otherwise written off.

OwenLars

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Going back to the subject of memory cards, you mentioned using your existing Compact Flash cards with the XSi (450D). I just thought i should point out that the XSi does NOT use the Compact Flash (CF) format. Canon has switched to Secure Digital (SD) or Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) for their lower end models. Only the higher end Canon cameras still use Compact Flash cards.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks Mark. I did figure that out not too long after I started researching the XSi. I ended up getting the 50D anyway. I think it was a much smarter move than taking a smaller step from an XT to an XSi.

And speaking of memory cards, I decided to just upgrade those too. I had been using 2.0GB SandDisk Ultra II cards with my XT and speed-wise they were fine with my 50D too. But I decided to shoot RAW and sometimes RAW+JPEG so at as much as 25MB+ per shot, 2GB won't go too far. I looked at getting three 8GB Ultra II cards but ended up buying three SandDisk 8.0GB Extreme III cards. With the current rebate from SanDisk, the price ended up being about $32 per card which was the same as the Ultra II cards which had no rebate.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Personally, Bryan, I've never had the need to shoot RAW+Jpeg. Unless you need files immediately in the field for some reason (for parents at a sporting event, for example), I think it's just a waste of storage space. Canon's DPP software will give you the same jpeg from the RAW file using your cameras settings if you do not change anything in DPP.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You're right, Scott. Its not something I plan to do often. The only time I really plan on shooting RAW+Jpeg is, for example, on vacation. Just so I can quickly and easily pull up the pictures on the laptop to view them. On vacation, its nice to just casually browse the pictures at the end of the day. Otherwise, I'll just shoot RAW.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bryan,

There are several plug-ins for Windows that will let you view RAW files on your laptop, or you could simply use the Canon ZoomBrowser software that comes with the camera. That's another alternative to eating up storage space with RAW+Jpeg.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'll keep my 50D.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Well...if I had a 40D or a 50D, I wouldn't want to trade that for a 500D. Of course, I'm a lowly guy with a simple XTi wanting video (of all things on a DSLR) so I can shoot anything. Now if only I can buy nice lenses....

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Sam,

Do you have the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 "L"? I'm considering picking that up to replace my EF-S 17-85mm which has terrible barrel distortion below 24mm (part of the reason I picked up the 10-22mm).

Right now I have these lenses to go with my 50D and XT:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens

I think the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens would be a nice upgrade/replacement for the EF-S 17-85. I also looked at the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens but am concerned about the barrel distortion reported on that below 40mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks