What's new

Can someone decipher HDMI receiver "speak"? (1 Viewer)

vern1955

Auditioning
Real Name
Veronica Holub
Can somebody please explain (in rather plain English, please) the difference between:

1. HDMI pass-through

2. HDMI upconversion

3. HDMI upscaling

4. HDMI switching

And is there an advantage of one over another as far as receivers go?

Thanks!
Veronica

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

1. HDMI pass-through - This will allow you to run your HDMI source through your receiver, for video, but will still need to use an optical or digital coax cable for your audio. This is similar to HDMI switching, because it makes it easier to switch between sources (just use your A/V receiver remote).

2. HDMI upconversion - This will allow you to connect maybe a vcr to your receiver, with s-video or composite cable, and the receiver will upconvert the signal to HDMI, and pass it to the tv, so you only have one cable connected from receiver to tv. Vcr is used as an example, but you get the idea.

3. HDMI upscaling - The receiver will upscale your regular dvd, to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, depending on the receiver's age and abilities. I use dvd as example, but I think it's supposed to be any source is upscaled. Again, you get the idea.

4. HDMI switching - See #1 above. I think the biggest difference between #1 and #4 is that with HDMI switching, you can get DD and DTS to work over the HDMI cable too, so you don't need the extra audio connection.

I don't have HDMI yet, so I'm trying to recall what I've learned about it. I may have something backwards somewhere in here. I can't swear to it. HDMI pass-through and HDMI switching can get a little confusing. I'm sure if I got something wrong, someone will correct it. I'm pretty sure I got the difference between upconversion and upscaling right though.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Other terms are: HDMI version:

1.1 which was the first. It allows picture, sound and DVD-Audio.

1.2 which adds SACD from dvd players that output sacd via DSD.

1.3a which adds the all important DolbyTrueHD and DTS-MA.

1.3b which apparently doesn't add anything significant.

This is why I steered you away from the Marantz 4002. For video it was 1.3a but for audio it was 1.1 which means no DolbyTrue-HD or DTS-MA decoding. It's all very confusing :confused: .

vern1955

Auditioning
Real Name
Veronica Holub
Gosh! You almost have to be a rocket scientist/engineer to figure all of this stuff out! Thanks! BTW, does the Yamaha 663 have the 1.3a for audio/video to give me all those "goodies" you mention?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The Yamaha 663 is indeed 1.3 compatible and will give you full HD audio support. It also has HDMI upconversion for analog sources (component, s-video, composite), but no HDMI upscaling. HDMI upscaling is more the province of upper level models and you usually won't find it at this price point from any brand.

Soupen

Auditioning
Welcome to HD world.

Here is what I found.

If it is a cheap AVR then it is likely just a HDMI switching Audio receiver. This simply allows you connect multip HDMI sources thru your AVR to the HDTV.

A tru HDMI processing receiver like the Yamaha 663 ( which I have) is excellent will have 2 HDMI switch inputs and will process surround sound such as HDMI Dolby Tru HD , and DTS master audio 7.1. This is the highest quality you will get.

Incidentally, the Yamaha 663 only has 2 HDMI inputs, so I added a 5 input 5x1 HDMI switch to expand it. The Yamaha 663 is fabulous!

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald

With #2, if you switch the signal from an s-video from an older DVD player, to HDMI on a HDTV, will it actually upconvert the resolution to 720,1080?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Not really. There's a difference between upconverting and upscaling. All present TV's scale 480 to HD. They have to because they are fixed pixel displays. Older CRT based didn't, they adjusted the scan on the CRT instead. The quality of the upscalng varies per set. But the thread is on receivers and not all receivers upscale. As a matter of fact, it is only something you find on higher end receivers. Instead, receivers upconvert, which is taking composite, s-video, component and converting it to HDMI. The resolution is still native to the original source, but the delivery method is upconverted to HDMI. Most mid-range receivers have upconverters and not upscalers.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yeah......I read upconverting, but in my mind I saw upscaling. It was midnight my time, and was tired. I even explained the difference between upconvert and upscale, above, in my first post. :D
Sorry!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Video is not much different from component unless you are talking 1080p (and even then most 1080p TV's deinterlace properly, so there is no difference). For audio, the only way to get HD audio from Blu-ray is HDMI or 5/7.1 analog outs.

Piggyperch

Auditioning
Real Name
Jan
Hey Vern,
Let me know if you figure this out. Having the same problem.

Piggyperch @ 3rd light

dfeller

Auditioning
Real Name
David Feller
Just a quick note that Best Buy has caught on that these terms are confusing and have started posting on each receiver in clear terms if it upscales, transmits audio over HDMI and whether inputs are assignable. Frankly, a great move on their part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks