Can I use my Sony STR-DE945 as an amp to power a 7th channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ferdinand T, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Ferdinand T

Ferdinand T Auditioning

Hello all sorry for the simple question, but I don't have a clue. I just bought a new receiver today. Onkyo TX-DS797 and it's a 6.1 but I can upgrade it to a 7.1. So like I said can I just use my old receiver to power the 7th channel. Just want to know before I sell my Sony. Thanks in advance guys. Oop also if so how do I go about doing it.

Ferdinand

2. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

3. Ferdinand T

Ferdinand T Auditioning

Well in wouldn't be perminent just for the time being until I can get something better. I just spent a grand so I don't have any extra dough right now.

4. Ferdinand T

Ferdinand T Auditioning

Does anyone know exactly how to do it or would it say in the manual? Like I said I just got the receiver today and haven't had a chance to read the manual yet. I was watching The Fast and The Furious, Rush Hour 2 and Gladiator and I noticed a HUGE difference in the sound quality. The bass was SO much better on this receiver not so boomy and distorted like the Sony but nice deeper sounding crisp clean bass. I also notice a big difference in the mids and highs. I heard SO much stuff that I never heard before and what I did here sounded so much better this time around, amazing stuff. I just can't beleive how much better this receiver was compared to my Sony. I WAS a big Sony guy and I honestly didn't think it could get much better. I now see what I've been missing. The next dvd on the list when I get some time is Saving Privite Ryan DTS. Can't wait!!!