can i get away with not having a sub if i have really good mains?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike Matthews, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

not sure if this is a "basics" question or a "speaker" question...god forbid i post in the wrong forum, but here goes

i'm thinking about looking into this system:

Polk RTi70s
    Polk RTi28s
    Polk CSi30

do i need a sub with those mains? if so, should i go with the PSW 303, 450, or 404? music will be the primary function of this system, but i do enjoy watching movies

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Hi! The newbies can post anywhere, well almost all of the time. [​IMG]

You will probably get some conflicting information on this, but this is my opinion.

If you are sending your CD out via L/R cables, the sub won't even work for music. If you use a digital connection and plug it into a digital in, then the sub would work, if you had one.

But you don't have to get one. I am sure that a good pair of towers will give you enough base to keep you happy. You have to realize that most speaker systems for DVD consist of 1 sub and 5 speakers that are all pretty small, so some sort of a bass would be necessary.

Glenn

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Personally I couldn't watch movies without having a sub. Music on the other hand sounds great without one. I would recommend getting one unless you don't have room. You won't regret it. They make a big difference when watching movies.

4. hitendra

hitendra Extra

I tend to agree with Glenn

Normally in a 5.1 system, the 5 speakers cannot typically handle frequencies below 100 Hz and thats really where you get most of the "fun" stuff in movies - the explosions, the special sound FX etc. So, you do need a good sub.

If you are looking at towers, then they should be good enough to handle the low frequencies.

5. Ryan*Pr*

Ryan*Pr* Agent

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mike,

You can always add the sub later. And most probably you will. [​IMG]

Cees

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    RTi70s would not qualify as "really" good mains in my book, and they will definitely NOT cover to 20Hz, so IMO, they will not be good enough for movies. For music, the 70s will probably be fine.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

10. sam_canavo

sam_canavo Stunt Coordinator

Mike

I have a set of psb alphas and paradigm 3se minis and
    have used both as front speakers, but when I added AR 10 inch sub let me tell you it made a HUGE difference. Not
    only for movies but music as well.

Small bookshelfs just don't have the bass or the bottom end.

11. John Warner

John Warner Extra

Go buy the Infinity Primus 8" for around 200$ and a good subwoofer cable. I listen to that setup quite often at work.... And without going too overboard in price the Infinity will match up nicely, Polk Subwoofers typically arent that great and their excursion gets kinda bad after having it for a good ammount of time.

12. Alan Wong

Alan Wong Auditioning

I find that a sub makes watching movies much more enjoyable but don't like using one for music.

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    If you calibrate a sub very carefully, it can be extremely rewarding for music too, especially for (low) organ music.

Cees

14. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

A sub is a must for movies, you just wont have the same type of impact without a good sub. If space is your concern, try a search on ebay for Infinity Il60, they have a built in sub. Ive seen them going for about $400-$500, refurbished straight from harmanaudio.

15. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

We built our speaker system bit by bit. We began with the towers, then added the center. Soon after, we purchased the sub, and finally the rears. It worked well for us and our budget - we didn't sacrifice bacause we hadn't heard what we were missing yet! Now that it is complete, whooeee![​IMG]

Pam