What's new

Can anyone recommend any classic TV show conventions? (1 Viewer)

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
That’s an interesting list. It actually does look like some of them are pure science fiction conventions in the classic sense, but many are “anime/pop culture/comic/cosplay/sci fi”.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That’s an interesting list. It actually does look like some of them are pure science fiction conventions in the classic sense, but many are “anime/pop culture/comic/cosplay/sci fi”.
That's true, there are a lot of those "everything and the kitchen sink" types of conventions, but I think there are still a few old school sci-fi conventions, they just tend to be on the smaller side.

For example this one in Boston seems quite old school, but perhaps is more focused on sci-fi books than on movies/TV. URL: https://boskone.org/
I certainly don't recognize any names on the guest list, but then I haven't read much sci-fi since the 80s.

So perhaps if you want to meet movie/TV celebrities' you have to go to the bigger multipurpose conventions.

It does appear that you will run into at least a little anime no matter which event you go to, but that is not surprising as a lot of anime is sci-fi.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of smaller events in my area but most everything is a "ComicCon" and now it's suddenly cool to go to them. I liked them better when I was a leper for even suggesting going to a convention. :D
Ah, the good old days when they were in an old hotel's ballroom. I was very young but I still remember the smell of shag carpeting, mildew and newsprint. :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally from a very different perspective).

The few sci-fi/gaming/comic/etc ... "hobby" conventions I went to back in the day, convinced me that I was wasting my time. (This was in the days before such conventions were giant mainstream events).

The type of folks I met / encountered at such conventions, were almost always the hardcore types who I would never be acquaintances/friends with away from the "hobby" + conventions. (ie. The personality types which would be satirized on The Big Bang Theory sitcom, cranked up to 10). At that young age, I came to the realization and self-aware of what today would be informally called the "geek social fallacies":

This is the main reason why I don't "advertise" offline what my interests are. For example, I don't wear tshirts featuring comic book characters, rock music bands, sci-fi movies, colleges/universities I previously attended, etc ... Nor do I have a hairstyle reflecting such hardcore folks (ie. long hair / mullett, punk rock partially shaved head styles, colored streaks, etc ...).

Back in the day when I did briefly wear a t-shirt of a "less popular" rock band, I was repeatedly approached by other hardcore folks starting up conversations about such "less popular" musical bands. They were the exact same type of hardcore folks who I absolutely refused to socialize with outside of sci-fi/gaming/comic conventions.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Do they have it here in indiana classic tv conventions they don't have em' much it's very little.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks