What's new

Can anyone recommend any classic TV show conventions? (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Can anyone recommend any classic TV show-related conventions in the U.S.? (This topic hopefully fits in this forum as such conventions presumably would have dealers selling TV shows on DVD/Blu-ray)

It seems there is a fair number of (mostly small) "retro" pop culture conventions out there, but they are primarily focused on something like sci-fi or toys, and not much on classic TV in general.

The only convention I have found so far that does focus specifically on classic TV shows is the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention held in September (https://www.midatlanticnostalgiaconvention.com/). I have been meaning to check it out the last few years as it is not too far from me, but other plans keep interfering. The line-up of TV celebrities appearing this year is a bit underwhelming compared to the past (I suppose due to persisting COVID concerns). There's Robert Fuller and... um, Pamela Sue Martin I guess.

Not sure I really need to meet those folks, but I might just go for a day to check out the dealers and see if they have any obscure/out of print TV series on disc.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It is the only one I know of. I get their emails since I also live in the area, never been though.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There used to be so many of them in the 90's and early 2000's. But with so many of the actors in classic shows no longer with us, these things become more scarce or they adapt into something else. Once NJ's Chiller Convention started focusing on wrestlers and other off-genre guests, I lost interest.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
There's a nice one near Memphis each year.

Thanks! Hadn't found that one before. Is it focused on westerns? Seem to be several celebrities pictured in western outfits. It would be cool to meet Wally and the Beav, but not sure I can make it out to Memphis. It's impressive the event has been running since the 70s (!). I see back then they had Buster Crabbe. I wonder if he was as big an icon to sci-fi fans of the time as William Shatner or Mark Hamill would eventually become.

There used to be so many of them in the 90's and early 2000's. But with so many of the actors in classic shows no longer with us, these things become more scarce or they adapt into something else. Once NJ's Chiller Convention started focusing on wrestlers and other off-genre guests, I lost interest.
I wouldn't mind if there weren't many celebrity guests. It would just be cool to find an event where people gather to discuss and watch/enjoy classic TV.

Although they have a few 70s/early 80s stars, the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention seems to still be heavily focused on 40s-60s stars and media. They really ought to get more 80s, 90s, and even 00s stars if they want to survive.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There used to be these little cons in New York City where some lower tier guests would sit at tables. I met Larry Storch there. He was one of the very few names I recognized. Sweet guy, though, and happy to be there. A lot of them vanished by the time the NYC Comic Con took hold, which is a shame. The smaller events were usually more fun.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks! Hadn't found that one before. Is it focused on westerns? Seem to be several celebrities pictured in western outfits.
Stephen, this convention does focus on westerns more than others do. They've always had a healthy dose of western stars. But they obviously mix in other genres as well. And yes, they've been going for a long, long time. A tremendous list of stars over the decades.

Gary "not sure Tony Dow will make it this year, as he has been diagnosed with cancer again" O. :(

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The Hollywood Show has about 4 shows a year in Burbank, CA. I used to go religiously for 20 years. I met a lot of celebrities who are sadly no longer with us. I even volunteered once, and sat next to Lou Ferrigno, and assisted him because he is hard of hearing. The next show is scheduled for July, and they are going to have a Little House on the Prairie reunion with Melissa Gilbert! If you're on facebook, they have a facebook page with announcements for upcoming guests and photos of past shows. https://www.facebook.com/TheHollywoodShow They also have a website: https://www.hollywoodshow.com/default/?SID=e457b0n4bmhfcnvsh0qllip26m Here is the current list of celebrities planning to attend this July: https://www.hollywoodshow.com/default/celebrities/ They will add more guests, and some may also cancel.

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Stephen, this convention does focus on westerns more than others do. They've always had a healthy dose of western stars. But they obviously mix in other genres as well. And yes, they've been going for a long, long time. A tremendous list of stars over the decades.

Gary "not sure Tony Dow will make it this year, as he has been diagnosed with cancer again" O. :(

Sorry to hear about Tony Dow. Hope he pulls through.

The Hollywood Show has about 4 shows a year in Burbank, CA. I used to go religiously for 20 years. I met a lot of celebrities who are sadly no longer with us. I even volunteered once, and sat next to Lou Ferrigno, and assisted him because he is hard of hearing. The next show is scheduled for July, and they are going to have a Little House on the Prairie reunion with Melissa Gilbert! If you're on facebook, they have a facebook page with announcements for upcoming guests and photos of past shows. https://www.facebook.com/TheHollywoodShow They also have a website: https://www.hollywoodshow.com/default/?SID=e457b0n4bmhfcnvsh0qllip26m Here is the current list of celebrities planning to attend this July: https://www.hollywoodshow.com/default/celebrities/ They will add more guests, and some may also cancel.
Wow, now there's a long list of stars. Maybe not quite A-list, but a few interesting names in the mix - William Daniels, Tom Skerritt, Sid Krofft, Michael Cole, etc. Are these shows purely focused on paid autographs/photos, or are there also panel discussions, screenings, and/or other activities as well? I didn't see an agenda.

So cool that you got to meet Lou Ferrigno. Did you get to ask him anything or was it all business?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Wow, now there's a long list of stars. Maybe not quite A-list, but a few interesting names in the mix - William Daniels, Tom Skerritt, Sid Krofft, Michael Cole, etc. Are these shows purely focused on paid autographs/photos, or are there also panel discussions, screenings, and/or other activities as well? I didn't see an agenda.

So cool that you got to meet Lou Ferrigno. Did you get to ask him anything or was it all business?
Just paid autographs, and photo opportunities. No panel discussions or screenings. There are some movie memorabilia dealers in the room, too. There are plenty of opportunities to mingle with the stars. I don't remember asking Lou anything specific about his career. Just general chit chat. I remember he was excited to have met Noel Neil (Lois Lane). He showed me the autographed photo he got of her, and I showed him my autographed photo of Tanya Roberts.
The second day is generally slower meaning smaller lines than the first day so you have more opportunity to talk to the guests and not feel rushed.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Just paid autographs, and photo opportunities. No panel discussions or screenings. There are some movie memorabilia dealers in the room, too. There are plenty of opportunities to mingle with the stars. I don't remember asking Lou anything specific about his career. Just general chit chat. I remember he was excited to have met Noel Neil (Lois Lane). He showed me the autographed photo he got of her, and I showed him my autographed photo of Tanya Roberts.
The second day is generally slower meaning smaller lines than the first day so you have more opportunity to talk to the guests and not feel rushed.
I see, thanks! If I'm ever in LA when one of these events is going on I'll check it out.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Too bad there aren’t any like the old SF conventions. It would be cool to have a gathering with a dealer’s room, classic TV guests, screenings of rare 16mm prints, etc.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Too bad there aren’t any like the old SF conventions. It would be cool to have a gathering with a dealer’s room, classic TV guests, screenings of rare 16mm prints, etc.
Isn't there still be a bunch of Sci-fi conventions around?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Probably. I doubt if they bear much resemblance to how they used to be in the 70’s? I know the comic conventions of today are mostly overblown multimedia affairs.
Yeah, I don't think they even have sci-fi conventions anymore. If they do, I imagine it's like most comic book conventions today where there's almost no comics and lots of bootleg T-shirts, Funko Pops and renfair jewelry & swords.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks