What's new

Can a Steam Vacuum replace a regular vacuum (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Am not familiar with the model, so I cannot absolutely swear to this, but I'm pretty sure the answer is, "NO" for the simply reason that a "steam vacuum" or "steam cleaner" isn't really a vacuum. These devices inject hot water and cleaning solution into carpet and suck it back out again, but they are not designed to be used "dry" just to vacuum up dust and dirt.

As a rule I'm not crazy about the idea of steam-cleaning carpet in any case. The dirt tends to get pressed down through the backing, rather than removed, the residual moisture under the rug and in the padding invites mold as far as I'm concerned (despite anti-fungual agents in the cleaning fluid) and the heat and moisture can damage carpet fibers. I'm much prefer to do a through "dry cleaning" of carpets with absorbant powers, cleansers, and a good long-handled stiff-bristle brush to work it through, followed by a couple of passes with a standard vacuum cleaner. But that's just me. YMMV and I'm sure you'll hear from many people who swear by steam-cleaning.

Regards,

Joe

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Uhhh no....a carpet shampooer ISN'T a vacuum.

Just buy a good Kenmore vacuum from Sears.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Actually, a steamer and a shampooer are two different things.

Unless your carpet consistently gets real dirty, steaming need only be done occasionally. Plus, it's a lot of extra work to fill, move, and drain the water. Get a vacuum for consistent use and consider getting a steamer (or a shampooer) for seasonal use.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No. The first step in using a rug shampoo machine like the one in the original link is to thoroughly dry-vac the area.

Having two dogs who occasionally have accidents, I swear by the home shampoo machine that I have from Bissell. Very happy with it. We don't just use it for spots, we also use it for regular carpet cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks