What's new

Buying another house...what to consider for HT? (1 Viewer)

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
We are selling our house & are looking for a new one....Well it wqont be a "new" house but I am wondering what I should be looking for. I want a dedicated HT/Music room, so I know I need a separate room but other than that I am looking for info from people who I are or were in my situation & could help out with some info
Thanks....

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Here's some quick thoughts;

Ample power available from breaker/fuse box 100 or 200 amp service with ground.

Room dimensions. Rectangular works best. Ceiling height.

Furnaces and or AC units make a lot of noise if you are thinking of a basement installation.

Where will the wiring go ? In wall ? Under baseboards (not AC) ?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Well, my wife and I are buying a new house, but we're building new so I may not be able to help you much. I've decided that I no longer desire a dedicated room, and that I would rather have the theater in shared space. They build basements around here so what I looked for was a nice basement area where I could build a room. Our builder works with a structured wiring contractor who does a lot of theater work, so I have them doing things like building an in-wall rack and running conduit through the ceiling for a projector. I'm also having a dedicated circuit put in and an outlet put in the ceiling 13' back for the eventual projector. I'm planning on installing an infinite baffle sub in part of the wall.

If I was looking for a pre-built home, I'd be looking for a home with an unfinished basement or an unfinished area in the basement where I could install exactly what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks