What's new

Buy IMAX stock!!! (1 Viewer)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
In the past few days, I was able to make quite a bundle buying into IMAX (T-IMX). It went from 81 cents (canadian) a few days ago, and closed today at $1.55. In the past few weeks , this stock has gained as much as 48% in a day, and slowly crept back down again, only to shoot up agian for no apparent reason. I was in it for the short haul and have a feeling that I sold too soon, but I could use some cash right about now, so I had to bail. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass along the tip to my fellow HTFers!
Marc.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice! I'm only 21 and have never bought or sold stock before. Do I just need to open an account at suretrade.com and go crazy or is there more to it?

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Be very careful about buying stocks that sell for less than $5 a share. They are very often victims of "pump-and-dump" schemes. People will talk up the stock and convince others to buy it, which will drive the price up (pump). Then the person talking up the stock will dump his shares.
It may seem like a good deal to get a stock so cheap, but it is that cheap for a reason. If you are unfamiliar with the stock market, be careful about buying shares of stock (outside of mutuals funds) that you have not researched. Don't take somebody's word off the internet (including mine) on how to invest your money.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Thant's right. Don't take anyone's word that a stock will rise or fall. Do your own research first. If you do some research on IMAX, you will see that it sold for more than $40 a share less than a year ago. It took a mighty drop when the company announced heavy losses, and never regained it's value.
I could care less whether you buy into it. I've made my money and no longer own any shares. I probably sold too soon. I just thought I'd give those who were interested , a head's up on a POSSIBLE good buy. Who know's , it may tank next week.
As Jesse say, you shouldn't just jump into any stock.
Current share price as of Friday was $1.55 and on the rise. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it to over 2 bucks a share in the next few days. Again, this is just a hunch, from observing this stock for the past few months. Just a hunch!
Marc.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
good long term stock....
it's higher than it's 52 week high
it has $26 million in the bank
it lost $25 million last year.
it's EPS is -2.61.
better sell.
no one's buying digital imax projectors now. they dont want an imax movie - the world wants comedy, thus explains the success of zoolander. and plus the economy is in the toilet. luxuries (special imax movies) will be the last thing people will be buying.
------------------
I AM CANADIAN!

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Boy , did I sell too early. IMAX closed at $2.05 on Friday. Not bad , from 81 cents a couple weeks ago.
Marc.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
IMAX is eventually going the way of Cinerama. It's a bad buy unless you have spare cash. You can invest in much better long term stocks. In order for IMAX theatres to stay in business they're showing non-IMAX films.... the first sign of trouble. When Cinerama went from true Cinerama films to standard 70mm shown on the large curved screen, it eventually failed.
------------------

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
In the past few weeks, this stock has gained as much as 48% in a day, and slowly crept back down again, only to shoot up agian for no apparent reason.
When somebody gives you a stock tip that is based on a stock price going up "for no apparent reason," it is clear the individual offering the tip is, at best, uninformed.

Buying stock based on an dubious tip posted on a bulletin board is a poor investment strategy. Just because a stock went up XX% yesterday, there's absolutely NO guarantee it will do the same tomorrow. Anybody who doubts the logic of that statement should revisit the collapse of the dot-com boom.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
...my instant reaction to the topic header was
"Jez, where is he going to get a 70mm projector to play his IMAX film stock"
...oh nevermind ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ever seen them thread up an IMAX? pretty amazing, film everywhere.

made the 35mm theater I used to project in look like amateur time.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Please be very careful buying stocks in todays market without any research .PS if you are interested in purchasing stock buy my company Vignette;) .

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Imax closed at almost 6 bucks today! Congrats to all of those who got in during November.

Marc.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
I hope no one interprets this as a personal attack, but, I think it's important to say.

First off, the standard "internet advice" disclaimer is in effect.

I think that undereducated people speculating on stocks is what got us in so much trouble in the first place.

If you are a student who's never invested, DON'T open an account and then assume you can buy low and sell high. LEARN what you are doing by INVESTING in the capital market.

If you want to take a chance to make a "quick buck", go to vegas. The odds are probably better there anyway, especially if you're either a) new or b) not already mad rich.

finally, i think investing's great, and poeple should be allowed to discuss their investing strategies. I guess I just scratch my head when i see someone toss out a "tip" and youngin jump up to take the bait so quick.

And while I'm all for electronic empowerment, I can't help but think the rapid availability of desktop trading had to have a lot to do with the "new economy" rubbish that will take a while to fix.

investing is a long term affair.

if you're turning quick bucks... well, in my opinion, you're opprotunistic scum :

(and marc- i totally hope you know my angry comments above are NOT directed at you- i'm assuming if you've followed the personal investment world since the "new economy" rose and fell, you know the types I'm speaking of... the day traders and short sellers- if the only party profiting off an "investment" is the investor (and barely), how healthy can that system stay?...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks