What's new

Bully - tough movie (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Not sure how many here have seen this yet. I just caught it up in Montreal (up here on business). Wow is this a tough film. Larry Clark completely nailed how this lost generation of kids acts and talks.
I can imagine that this film will be difficult to watch for many, but I thought it was a potent film that almost felt like a documentary in parts. (The film is based on a true story.)
I'll probably have more thoughts on it later, but during the film I often thought of the Frontline documentary THE LOST CHILDREN OF ROCK RIDGE. The documentary, which PBS will probably replay sometime this coming season, documents a group of suburban high schoolers who are into drugs, and random (and extensive) sex.
In a nutshell, this film is a searing portrait of a group of high school dropouts and high schoolers in Hollywood, Florida who are so disconnected with a moral compass that when one of them suggests they kill a bully, they all agree to do so - even though some of them have never met him.
But at this film's core is a portrait of a lost generation of kids who have fallen into the margins of society. The film literally lives with these kids and is never preachy - it truly feels at many times like a documentary (sans narrator).
There are many parts of this film that I won't soon forget. In some respects it echoes the film RIVER'S EDGE, but it lack's that film's ultimate villan. Instead, in this film no one gets away and no single person can be pointed at as the sole villan or source of evil. Instead, these kids all live in a world where morals are something that don't really exist until it is too late.
-greg

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I have the book, and it's fantastic. I didn't know there was a movie - I'll definitely have to check it out!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I guess you watched it at the Cinema Du Parc. :) It was a very difficult film to watch, and it's hard to imagine that this actually happened.
I'll probably have more thoughts on it later, but during the film I often thought of the Frontline documentary THE LOST CHILDREN OF ROCK RIDGE. The documentary, which PBS will probably replay sometime this coming season, documents a group of suburban high schoolers who are into drugs, and random (and extensive) sex.
You're absolutely right, but it's called "The Lost Children Of Rockdale County". The film reminded me a lot of this documentary, and I kept thinking about the similarites during the film.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the correct name of the documentary. Yup, I saw it at the Cinema Du Parc.
BTW - I'm out in LA at the HTF Meet and the Lion's Gate rep last night mentioned they are working on the BULLY DVD release. They had hoped to get interviews with some of the actual participants, but it doesn't appear they want to talk about it.
-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks