What's new

Building House, need advice about A/V (1 Viewer)

coachj

Auditioning
Real Name
J
I am remodeling a house for myself and no wiring is currently in place for anything. I am just about to start framing so I will need to figure out what my A/V situation is going to be in order to run the wires before drywall. Below is an explanation of what I am going for, and as a laymen, I have no clue about home theater or A/V, so if you can give me advice using as much explanation for all the jargon, it would be helpful.

First a couple of notes about my family:

We currently have Cox Cable and are heavy users of the Cox DVR. However, we currently only have one DVR/Cable box [non HD] that we use with an old 60"Mitsubishi projection screen TV [no other TV's in the house].

We also have one HTIB [New Onkyo HT-5300], but it doesn't seem to put out enough sound quality and I am thinking I will need to upgrade that as well. However, it may be the fact that neither my Big Screen, nor my cable box has HDMI. Or I just don't have it hooked up right. Who knows? I plan on upgrading to newer LCD's in three rooms.

One thing for sure is that my wife and I [and 4 year old daughter] have competing interests on shows and often we find that the DVR is recording 2 shows and won't allow one of us to watch something [like the UNC-Duke game].

The other problem is that when you record on the Cox DVR, you have to watch on that same TV and cannot go into another room [or I may be wrong so let me know – I have not discovered how to get any of the recordings off the DVR on to any other media]. We also find that we keep shows on the DVR for long periods of time [like Disney movies] and the space is usually running low for other shows.

What I would love to find out is if there is any way to have a system that allows me to record more than 3-4 shows at one time and watch them on any TV in the house, without using multiple cable boxes???
I do have a computer, and would love to be able to utilize that as a video hub, downloading or recording onto that hard drive, then delivering the audio/video to any TV/system in the house. Is that possible?
I am finding that you can buy tuners for your computer, but I am unsure if you can buy multiple tuners [to record multiple shows at the same time] and I am not aware of how those tuners would record without some sort of scheduling database so the program knows when to record.

I am running COAX to all rooms. However, I am unsure if I need to run any other type of lines?

Nevertheless, I need to figure out what to do so I can wire my home. Below is a description each room and what I want to accomplish:

Main room:
I am looking to make this the main TV watching area and anticipate having a LCD and system with full 7.1 surround system here. I anticipate this system will feed the A/V to that room, as well as feed A/V to the outside patio area where I will have 4 speakers [no surround - a large patio and the pool area]. If possible, I would also like to be able to watch videos from my computer [office] on the TV in this room [or use the computer as a DVR as stated earlier].

Patio/Pool area:
I will have two sets of speakers [or if anyone has another suggestion, I am all ears]. The area is quite large. The patio is 14x40 and the pool area is almost 50’ from there. I am thinking that I would want volume control outside. In the future, I may have a LCD here, but for now, no.

Master Bedroom:
I will have another LCD here. I would think that I will need another system to run the A/V in this room. I could use the Onkyo that I already have. OR, if there are other suggestions, throw them at me. I anticipate that I will want less surround here [maybe 3.1], and will want to have ability to watch from the recording device [either DVR, Computer, or from the main room DVR???]

Office:
The office will house my computer and can be the hub for the data lines and such. I will also have an LCD in here. I anticipate that I will have speakers, but no surround here. This is where I will probably watch games [I am a basketball coach and watch for my job]. Having the ability to record games and watch in here would be ideal, but I would like the ability to feed that stream to other areas of the house as well.

Here is what I want to know:
• Is there a combination of devices that allow you to record multiple [more than 4] shows at one time, store larger amounts of data in one place, and feed that recording to multiple rooms [not at once, but make a decision which room you want to watch]?
• Can you run multiple locations, with multiple speaker set ups from one receiver system, or do I need more than one receiver?
• Any suggestions on hardware for receivers, speakers, wiring, etc…
• What other hardware will I need to accomplish this?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/cetons-quad-cablecard-tuner-for-windows-media-center-gets-a-pri/

Quad tuner QAM PCI card with CableCard. Record 4 shows from your cable company at the same time. If you want to do more research, the Google terms are quad QAM tuner card. Right now, I think 4 is the max number of tuners per card. Better than a dual tuner DVR though.

I would use that as my recording hub. Save the files to a PC (same as the recording one or different) or a NAS drive that is running a media server application. At each TV, put a media player. It will allow anyone to pick a program from the library for viewing.

Coax is great in case you change your mind about connections but also run CAT6 to each location as well. Wireless just doesn't have the bandwidth for the demands of multiple video streams.

Receiver - there's a section dedicated to them. You want a dual zone receiver. I would go one step further and have a separate amp for the outdoor speakers. In case you don't want to turn on the main system when you only want sound outside.

Speakers - guess what. They have their own section. Budget is the biggest obstacle most of the time.

Finally, welcome to the HTF. This post is so far beyond beginner it is amazing. Most people in this section don't know how to connect their 15 year of VCR to their new fangled flat screen TV much less know about QAM tuners.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome j

Looks like Robert has you pointed in the right direction. One thing I might add is when putting your budget together do not give up on that Onkyo 5300. It comes with a pretty decent receiver and the weak link in the unit is the speakers which can be upgraded to a new set of your own choosing.

I would also suggest that you do most of your denature layout now as it will help you with equipment and speaker placement. Here is a helpful guide. Try to follow it as best you can. http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks