What's new

Building a computer for $2,000 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Semi-related, whenever I decide to build a new PC for "X" amount of dollars, I usually go to ARS Technica's System Builder's Guide Page for advice. Their latest is called "Ho-ho-Holiday System Guide: DIY for the holidays". Click on that link. For under $2000 you'd probably want to look at the Hot Rod system which usually comes in at around $1500-$1600.

The claim of your friend to get the "best on the market for $2000" is grossly exaggerated. Check out their "God Box" build for the best on the market: $14K :eek:

That said, you can build a very kick-a$$ machine for under $2K, much less if you don't need a monitor.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm aware that my HD 2600 XT is the limiting factor. But so was my case, a Shuttle SG33G5. It only has two slots inside, one of them the PCIx16 slot...right next to the outer case! So not only did that rule out acquiring a double-slot card, but I also had to find a card that blew the hot air to the front of the case instead of the rear otherwise the hot air would have remained trapped inside and overheat the card.

My low-end card is not a big problem for me since I rarely play games, and usually old ones so that I can purchase them at a rebate. I can easily find Far Cry for under $20 these days! :)

However, if you want to play Crysis on the "Very High" setting at a ridiculous 1920x1200 resolution, there's only one way to accomplish it! And it's with THIS!

$1800 worth of GeForce GF8800 Ultra cards powered by a 1200 watt power supply! Yikes! And the frame rate is an average 37.9 fps!

If we watercooled those puppies, do you think we could safely overclock those cards and achieve 60 fps? :D

More info on that rig at Over $1800 In Video Cards To Run Crysis On Very High | GEMAGA.COM .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks