What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Series Challenge (1 Viewer)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

And that's exactly why I started this thread... for that very reason. To give myself and others a reason to go back and watch this show.

When we get towards the end of Season 3 of "Buffy" we will figure out what we are gonna do about watching ANGEL as well.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

By then, I'll follow along by watching ANGEL, as I don't have seasons 4-7, but can still follow since I remember those seasons. I'll make it special by watching the original WB trailers for each episode...it'll be October 1999 all over again.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I would consider doing this... but not sure yet... I just finished watching Buffy Seasons 1-7 straight through about 5 or 6 months ago. And yes it was fun! I just need to decide if I am up to it again yet or not.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

Dude... you need to go watch Angel immediately. Here is why. I felt exactly the same way about His Holy Broodiness before I watched the show. IMO he was completely useless in Buffy S3 - damn near couldn't stand him.

But of course I had to give Angel a chance. The differences in style and substance were jarring at first but man, once the show found it's footing towards the end of S1 where the continuity kicks in, it never let go. To the point where I I find it the better series. Anyway, I don't wanna bog this thread down with yet another Buffy vs Angel discussion, just trying to get Williamson to do the right thing :D.

I haven't yet decided to join this challenge, but I will be following this thread with interest.

--
H

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
This sounds like a fun idea.

I just started watching Buffy a few months ago because I enjoyed Firefly so much I thought I would give it a shot. I am just finishing up season 2. I have been renting them through Netflix.

I must say I was surprised how much I am liking the show. I was thinking about buying The Chosen set. Is this new set coming out on the 30th any different other than the packaging?

-KeithP

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Forgot to mention that I actually bought the ANGEL Season One set more than 2 years before I puichased the complete Buffy series last November. The reason? Weeks before ANGEL had just started being rerun on TNT, I decided I wanted to purchase the 1st season not long after it first came out because I wanted to re-experience how different the show was in 1999-2000 Vs 2002-03.

Keep in mind that crossover episodes, though there are only a handful of them, are kept separate for each series. You have to take a Buffy disc (with Part 1) out and put in ANGEL to see Part 2.

Typing of Joss Whedon shows, I was bored by Firefly and I just couldn't get into it at all. Neither could most viewers, and the lack of quality showed. It was odd for a Whedon series to have boring characters, and the low ratings on FOX reflected that. To be fair, it was on Fridays at 8 which historically has more often than not proven to be the FOX "death slot" because there are less people home on Friday evenings and also because those who are and have their TVs on are probably watching something else... In spite of that, the fans prompted Joss to write a script and a "Serenity" post-series sequel became a feature film.

However, I was impressed by Nathan Fillion's performance in the last 5 episodes of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. As Caleb, the superhuman priest he stole the show as one of the most formidable foes that Buffy had ever faced.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Based on what others have said about the similar "X Files" repackaged sets, extras might be reshuffled to other discs, but content-wise, no difference.

I got season 1 of Buffy as a 'oh, what the hell, I've never bought a TV show on DVD before' lark. Didn't think I'd commit to getting the remaining series sets or anything, and I didn't - with the exception of those crossover episodes, I wanted the complete collection of Angel's appearances, and nothing more.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

No sweat, my friend, i'm all over it, I just added the complete first season to my queue. :emoji_thumbsup: Like I said I am more than aware of the Angel phenominon and am eager to get onboard...just missed the boat at the time.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Buying Season 1 of ANGEL was bittersweet - losing sleep in anticipation of getting it the next day (Feb 11, 2003) and seeing Doyle again, knowing that Glenn Quinn had died less than 3 months before. I recall watching those episodes in a sort-of tribute. Interesting the ways things like that affect you.

Man, that show had some humble beginnings. By season's end it was a whole new ballgame.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Quick question: For those of you who are interested in participating in this "challenge" (using the word very lightly), who already has Season 1 on DVD and who would like to start as soon as next week? If everyone says they would then we will start our little challenge next week with these four episodes:

"Welcome to the Hellmouth"
"The Harvest"
"Witch"
"Teacher's Pet"

You will have from Monday (5/22) to Sunday (5/28) to watch them. Just leave a post here letting us know when you watched them and leave any comments you like.

If anyone wants to wait until June 5th then we will, but I have the feeling we all already have Season 1 in our possession.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd rather wait till June 5th so I can finish up the "South Park Season 7", "Seinfeld Season 5 &6", "Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 4" "Warners Busby Berkley Box set" quintrilogy (?? If Fox can call a set Quadrilogy, I can use Quintrilogy) I currently have going.

Of course, I can still try. ;)

RE: Firefly. I too wasn't that impressed at first, but found that in the last 3-4 episodes the show was really coming into it's own. I think in fireflys case, it really was cancelled too soon.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
For various reasons I would prefer to wait and start on the original planned date but will defer to the majority.

-KeithP

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Ok, we will wait until June 5th. That's fine with me, that will give me time to watch a few other things before then. Maybe I'll try to get in "The Amazing Race" Season 3 and "Felicity" Season 4 before then.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

I rented Disc 1 of this show awhile back and I wasn't that impressed with it so I stopped watching it but then went back to it recently and I was glad I did. The episodes on Disc 2-4 were definitely much better. And I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, "Serenity".

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The first "real" Buffy episode was the S1 Finale. I still like the first season, where it is finding it's way. But the first "Buffy as it was to be" was the 12th episode. I'd like to do this, as I watched most of S2-7 on DVD, and I wasn't on the internet when I watched the first two. I love the show. Except Disc 3 of S6. Worst three episodes evAR!

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I have no inside knowledge, but I think these will be different than the X-Files sets. On Buffy, all the sets were six discs and had the bonus features scattered throughout the sets. There wasn't a seperate disc with just bonus features. With the X-Files, there were discs with just bonus materials and those were what was dropped on the new sets.

Furthermore, season 6 of The X-Files is more like the Buffy sets than seasons 1-5. It had the episodes spread over all six discs with the bonus features filling out disc 6. When that was recently re-released, it was in it's original complete form. All the bonus material is present. So they seem to be dropping discs that only contain bonus material (Buffy doesn't have that issue) and in the case of season 2, squeezing an episode from the seventh disc onto the sixth (none of the Buffy sets had 7 discs).

So my guess is these new sets will simply be a re-packaging. I don't predict they'll change the contents at all. But this is just a guess of course.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I might join in for some of this. I mix and match a lot of my TV on DVD watching and just watched s4 two weeks ago. I did own just s1-4 until the Chosen Collection came out. Then I sold 1-4 on ebay and bought the Chosen Collection to end up with the whole series. The difference between the sale of the season sets and purchasing the Chosen Collection resulted in me basically paying around $14 a season for the final three seasons.

Hadn't watched Buffy in nearly two years before jumping into s4 last month. It was great to get into it again.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'm up for it. it's been awhile since I've seen seasons 3-7 and I keep wanting to go through the sets again.

I don't get the season 4-7 hate, I thought Spike more than adequately replaced Angel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks