What's new

budget projector project (1 Viewer)

dman7

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Svuba
I know I am a super newb, and everybody has a budget projector project, but I would appreciate feedback on my half-baked project ideas.

This may redefine the concept of budget projector project. I am OK with a bit older tech, and I am okay taking a little risk with ebay items.

I will have a small room (10' x 12') with very low ambient light. I was considering a used DLP tv about 65" wich can be had for around $350-$400 on craigslist, but now I am thinking projecter may be better. I want it to look good, but am okay with non-1080P since it appears that will save me a ton of cash. If I can get a native 720P projector with an HDMI input i think that may be perfect. would it be better to stick with the dlp tv? I could probably even find a reasonable 1080P unit?

From the limited research I have done so far I was thinking about a craigslist projector that is being offered for $200. it is the panasonic AE700u. I also noticed a few optomas on ebay for around $300 that may fit the bill...Optoma HD70, HD72, HD73.

I really have no idea about the screen, but once again budget is key. I am thinking 65"-90" because the room is quite small. I saw this on walmart.com.... Elite M80NWV for $70 ,,not opposed to trying paint either.

Am I on the right track?

Any other equipment suggestions?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of DLP vs LCD,

I am actually building the room in my garage, so I can incorporate speaker wires, mounting hardware, soundproofing etc, i can even change the size or shape a little bit if there is some reason for that.

.....How hard will it be to set this up?

Thank you for any help, and let the flames begin!!!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What is your budget for projector? I highly recommend you DO NOT buy a used projector. You can buy a new 720p DLP projector for less than $600. You'll have a new bulb and a full warranty. You're going to spend a good amount of money building this room, and buy a $200 projector that's more than likely going to be a piece of junk? If it needs a new bulb soon, that's $250 - $300 right there. People are on these forums all the time saying how they got ripped of on Ebay with a projector. Craigslist is a little safer because you can see the projector, but you still have no idea of the true bulb hours. The bulb hour counter can be reset by anyone. Anyway...

As far as the screen, you can paint a sheet of MDF for a nice, cheap screen. If you don't want to paint, you can build a frame out of 1X4 pine/poplar and use blackout cloth from any fabric store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks