What's new

Budget HT mini-system recommendations (1 Viewer)

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine is looking for a very simple 5.1 surround system for his family room. He doesn't want anything spectacular (they don't watch a ton of TV), but something nice for a Friday movie rental. He is buying his kids a PS2 for a game machine, and wants to use it as a DVD player (for his needs, this is fine). What he asked me is what mini-systems I would recommend to give him 5.1 DD/DTS surround (receiver/amp & speakers) for a very budget minded price. I buy components, so I have no idea what is out there today in the "all-in-one-box-HT" packages that Sam's or other stores sell. Can anyone recommend a reasonable system? He wants to be able to play CD's as well (which I believe the PS2 will do), otherwise it would need to have a built-in CD player and probably an AM/FM tuner.

Rich

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Richard,

There are a lot of packages HTIB, and a lot of manufacturers
Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Panasonic, JVC, etc. Ranging from $250 to $1000.

For me the best speakers set (for a small budget) is the JBL NSP1 pair with a Sony sub or a JBL PB12, and a Pioneer 811 A/V reciever, you are looking about $800. But if you give us the your buget maybe we can help you more.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, certainly the cheaper the better. The reason he opted for the PS2 is that it would give him double-duty as a game machine and reasonable DVD playback for $150. That said, I think anything outside of the range of maybe $399 is going to be out of his ballpark given how much they intend to use it. I know this relagates most items to almost "junk" status, but I guess I'm trying to make sure he picks the best junk!

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks