What's new

Brian and Charles (2022)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Brian and Charles (2022)

Tagline: Some friendships are built to last.

Genre: Comedy, Science Fiction

Director: Jim Archer

Cast: David Earl, Chris Hayward, Louise Brealey, Jamie Michie, Nina Sosanya, Lynn Hunter, Lowri Izzard, Mari Izzard, Cara Chase, Sunil Patel, Rishi Nair, Colin Bennett, Vivienne Soan, Nicholas Asbury

Release: 2022-06-17

Runtime: 90

Plot: An endearing outlier, Brian lives alone in a Welsh valley, inventing oddball contraptions that seldom work. After finding a discarded mannequin head, Brian gets an idea. Three days, a washing machine, and sundry spare parts later, he’s invented Charles, an artificially intelligent robot who learns English from a dictionary and proves a charming, cheeky companion. Before long, however, Charles also develops autonomy. Intrigued by the wider world — or whatever lies beyond the cottage where Brian has hidden him away — Charles craves adventure.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I haven't seen any marketing for this film whatsoever, but somehow it started playing near me yesterday. I don't know how much money Focus can reasonably expect to make if they haven't really made people aware that the movie is out. But I decided to take a chance on it because of the good critical response.

I will report back.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just got back from seeing Brian and Charles and I am happy to report that it was absolutely delightful. The lack of marketing seems to be a problem because there were only three other people in the theater by my count, so I don't expect it to stick around very long. However, I am glad I didn't see the trailer or anything before I went. I watched it just now and think it gives away more than I would want to know going in. The movie isn't particularly twist-filled or anything, but especially because the plot is rather basic and it is about the characters, it was much more fun to discover that organically through the movie. The trailer also has a lot of the funniest moments and lines already in it.

All you really need to know is that Brian (David Earl) is a lonely guy who invents a robot he names Charles (Chris Hayward.) The movie is a buddy comedy between the two of them. Earl and Hayward also wrote the screenplay together in addition to starring. I laughed a lot and I found both of them to be very pleasant company for an hour and a half. The movie is just really sweet and enjoyable. It's definitely on a smaller scale than most movies that get play in multiplexes over the summer, but I am really glad I sought this out and gave it my time and attention. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
After I got back from the movie, I discovered that Brian and Charles is based on an earlier short film from the same creative team. At least for right now, the short is on YouTube for free, so I've posted it below. The plot in the movie is actually quite different, rather than just being an expansion of the short. However, the characterizations and comedic tone are the same. If you like the short, you'll probably like the movie. If not, the movie probably isn't for you. Watching the short is a much better way to sample Brian and Charles than the trailer because of how different they are. You won't have the best jokes in the movie ruined for you by the short, but it will still tell you whether or not the movie will be up your alley. See the video linked below.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those who missed Brian and Charles in theaters, which sadly seems to be most people, it is now available to watch at home. Universal is pricing it as a $19.99 PVOD rental or $24.99 for a digital purchase.

I want to get the Blu-ray, so I'll wait for that to see it again. But if you're in the market and willing to pay premium prices for new streaming releases, this movie is really fantastic.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I missed the limited engagement here in Calgary (and it was at the "bad" theatre). I'll be picking it up on physical media ASAP.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is currently available as a premium video on demand rental. The price of the rental will go down after the disc release. I don't think it will take that long for the disc; we're talking about a June theatrical release, and discs are arriving sooner all the time. But yes, it is currently in between the theatrical release period and the announcement of a disc.

Also, it will wind up on Peacock pretty soon and then have a second window on Amazon Prime eventually because it is a Universal title.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just got an email from Universal's mailing list which says the Blu-ray release for Brian and Charles will be August 30.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks