What's new

Brad Bird's TOMORROWLAND trailer, website surprises (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
I probably need to avoid Damon Lindelof-penned films, his voice doesn't really speak to me, I guess.
I'm curious as to who came up with what in terms of the screenplay because Damon Lindelof is currently doing The Leftovers (which is one of the darkest and most emotionally brutal TV shows I've ever seen) so he doesn't seem like a bastion of hope type of guy. Not that you can't exercise different creative muscles on different projects but to look at one, it's very hard to imagine the same person working on the other.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it Friday night with the family. It was good. Not perfect, but good. But then again, many of my favorite movies aren't perfect examples of film making.

In the spirit of the movie's theme of positive thought and action... (This contains a few mild spoilers...)

I loved the Giachinno cameo (I caught it, too). In fact, I'd have loved to have seen some other Disney cameos, like maybe Bob Gurr, who designed a lot of the attraction vehicles for the parks. I thought the performances were all good to great. I loved the sense of wonder as the film progressed. I caught myself smiling many times. There were a couple of really fun action sequences that really stood out (the house and store scenes). The humor is fun and well-timed.

Positivity aside, it's harder to put my finger on what I didn't like about it.

My wife didn't care for the "message" of the film (she compared it to WALL*E, which not so subtly pointed the finger at mankind for not taking care of our planet and for leaning too hard on technology. She doesn't disagree with these views; she just wants a film to be entertaining, not "preachy.") I have to agree... I wish they could have come up with something else for the last act. For most of its running time, it felt like it wanted to be a fun action/adventure/mystery. Brad Bird has even said that he hopes that people just have fun seeing the movie.

But then it sort of turned into a message film at the end. And like my wife, I don't necessarily disagree with the message. But it's just not what I expected as a viewer. On the other hand, I don't think it was completely unexpected. They set it up, to some degree, earlier in the film.

For those folks with kids, this is a solid PG, with action and laser random vaporizing but no blood. I'd probably give it a solid B or maybe 8/10. I've already recommended it to my friends.

I want to see it again, and I suspect that it's one of those films that gets better with additional viewings. Can't wait to add it to my blu-ray collection. I just hope Disney doesn't go cheap on the release. Bird usually packs his Disney/Pixar films with decent extras.

I know there are a lot of folks out there who distrust anything with the Disney name on it, and the fact that this movie is named after an area in the parks (though, truthfully, it's named for the spirit of innovation that inspired Tomorrowland) probably makes it even harder for them to accept. But it's really not about the parks at all. Heck, the "it's a small world" attraction, which plays a role in the film, is located in Fantasyland, not Tomorrowland, in the parks.

Give it a shot. It's worth your time if for no other reason than to send the studios a message that an original film can be successful in a world that leans too heavily on reboots and sequels.

And, again, I think this movie was mostly successful in its construction and execution. It was fun, and I think a fun time at the movies has become an underrated thing.

Matt

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Patrick Sun said:
I probably need to avoid Damon Lindelof-penned films, his voice doesn't really speak to me, I guess.

As my wife and I discussed the movie, we both said there were many things that went unexplained and a few holes in the plot. I said I can imagine Lindelof in the story meetings saying "You don't have to explain everything!"

Lindelof is talented, no doubt. He can certainly craft mysteries that tantalize the imagination - as he did (with help) on the first few years of Lost - but those kinds of mysteries need a payoff, and that's where he never really does it for the audience. It's very unsatisfying.

BTW, reading the credits, it appears Lindelof, Bird and Jensen worked on the story together, but Lindelof and Bird worked on the script separately. (Ampersand means they worked together; "and" means they worked separately.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
Lindelof is talented, no doubt. He can certainly craft mysteries that tantalize the imagination - as he did (with help) on the few few years of Lost - but those kinds of mysteries need a payoff, and that's where he never really does it for the audience. It's very unsatisfying.
I'd argue that in the case of Lost, the audience's expectations were too big and nothing could satisfy them. Despite the internet urban legend (which has become accepted fact), they answered all the mysteries that were brought up (most prior to the finale) and I think that people wanted or expected one final mind blowing twist that would tie every aspect of the show together and that's an impossible and unrealistic expectation that literally no writer could achieve.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not to get too far off topic, but I have to disagree re: Lost.

From earlier this year:

Lost writer admits they just made it up as they went along

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/lost-writer-admits-they-just-made-it-up-as-they-went-along-9977472.html

"I had friends that were writing on Lost, I can’t say who they were. And I was watching football with one of them and I was telling them how much I loved the show…and I’m like, "How are you going to pay all this stuff off?" And he looked at me and goes, "We’re not." And I go, "What do you mean you’re not?" He said, "We literally just think of the weirdest most f*cked up thing and write it and we’re never going to pay it off." And I look at him and I’m like, "That’s such bullshi*t! You are completely f*cking with the audience."

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
One of the main reasons I'm not that interested in seeing this is Damon Lindelof's involvement. I only saw a couple episodes of Lost, thought it was dreadful and never watched again. Prometheus was some of the worst writing I think I have ever encountered in a big budget film loaded with talent. About the most vacant movie I have ever watched. This looks like another film with some solid talent involved and what could be an interesting story...but I thought the trailers, promotional shorts, and previews for Prometheus looked great and turned out they were the best aspect of the film. See those and skip the movie.

Hard to buy a ticket for this one knowing the wreckage Lindelof can create on a promising project.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
You know, when I saw Lindelof's name attached, I worried about how he might influence the film. And honestly, I wonder if he's responsible for its flaws.

But, ultimately, it's Brad Bird's film. He's the director, the co-writer, and the co-producer, so the buck stops with him.

And I think Bird generally helped ground Lindelof for TOMORROWLAND. I liked it much better than the other Lindelof films.

And for the record, I was a big fan of LOST, so it's not like I can't stand the guy's work. I think he's very creative, but I agree that the payoff isn't always what the viewer wants or expects. And that isn't always a bad thing.

matt

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the off topic (I'll shrink the font so people can skip it easier):
Sam Favate said:
Not to get too far off topic, but I have to disagree re: Lost.

From earlier this year:

Lost writer admits they just made it up as they went along

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/lost-writer-admits-they-just-made-it-up-as-they-went-along-9977472.html
That should read "Friend of Lost writer admits..." :) but I wasn't talking about whether it was made up as they went along. I said that they solved the relevant mysteries and it's a fact that they did. That doesn't mean that anyone has to like the resolutions but they were there.

Also, I don't believe that they made it all up as they went along because that makes no sense. Why would they not have at least an idea of what X was when they introduce it? Not having an idea of what they want to eventually do with each mystery would just make it infinitely harder on themselves when they did have to answer the question. For example, I'm sure when they came up with the polar bears in the pilot, they didn't know that the bears were originally kept on a second island off the main island as part of a program run by the Dhrama Initiative but I can't imagine that they didn't have the idea that the bears were there with a group that had previously been doing experiments on the island. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they always left wiggle room if a better idea came along or if the plot wasn't working or if a real world problem stopped them (all of which are sensible moves) and their plans probably only became more firm after S3 when they knew when the show would end so I'm definitely not saying that they had some kind of absolute set-in-stone grand design from day one but I think it's silly to think that they didn't know have an idea of what they would do with a mystery when it was introduced into the show.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Matt Lucas said:
You know, when I saw Lindelof's name attached, I worried about how he might influence the film. And honestly, I wonder if he's responsible for its flaws.

But, ultimately, it's Brad Bird's film. He's the director, the co-writer, and the co-producer, so the buck stops with him.

And I think Bird generally helped ground Lindelof for TOMORROWLAND. I liked it much better than the other Lindelof films.

And for the record, I was a big fan of LOST, so it's not like I can't stand the guy's work. I think he's very creative, but I agree that the payoff isn't always what the viewer wants or expects. And that isn't always a bad thing.

matt

That's good to hear, Matt. I can't comment on the film as I have not seen it yet. It is something I know my wife will go to see and because it is not a sequel or a super hero film I would like to see it just to show support for more original films. The name Lindelof on anything just makes me more than a bit leery of it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hmm...I may see this after all. Was going to skip it but my curiosity is killing me ;)

And Today is Bargain Tuesday hehehehe!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I liked it. Better than I expected. Message movie indeed but a message of Hope that I liked. A tad preachy yes; but I liked its heart. Terrific performances from Clooney and Robertson. Like they were really good. Great screen presence.

Could have been a little edgier but I'm sure Disney didn't want to alienate the target audience.

Really enjoyed the score. Involving and was complimentary of the screenplay.

8/10

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Very enjoyable flick for me. The film just oozed the kind of "big ideas" type of SF that populated the "Gold and Silver" ages of Science fiction. So far, Brad Bird hasn't disappointed me yet when it comes to a fun film watch. The ending does get a little ripe with Hugh Laurie's speechifying but the rest of the film lets me give Bird a pass on that.

It is nice to allow oneself to believe for two hours that the future can only get better, even though the weight of human history, greed, stupidity and cupidity all points to the eventual and total collapse of human civilization into a maelstrom of chaos and destruction. Unfortunately, "Game of Thrones" is closer to the human reality than "Tomorrowland", but it was still an entertaining ride.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was an entertaining mess. Tonally all over the place. Thriller, action film, family film. All of these and none of these. Liked Clooney. Couldn't stand the teenage daughter. LOVED the actress who played the little girl. Best performance in the whole film and she steals the movie. Worth it just for her performance.

I would give it **1/2* out of ****

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Tino I thought Robertson was excellent. Really did. I'm sorry she didn't do it for you. But I agree with the young girl. She was AWESOME.

Thomas O

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this the other day and was entertained. I thought the actress playing the little girl and Clooney were excellent. The teenage actress didn't bother me, but she wasn't as good as the other child actress.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to bring up this older thread. But, I was hoping someone can answer these questions and share their thoughts.....

-I wish we got more info on the alternate planet Tomorrowland is on.

-We are shown (via the pin) a vibrant very populated Tomorrowland. Yet, we hear Clooney say its a lie and when we see Tomorrowland for real it seems mostly deserted. So was the pin version completely fake? At first I thought so. Yet, we see a giant finished city. So my thinking was once Nix took over (and kicked Clooney out) he kind of set up martial law or at least restricted movement.
Does anyone have any info on this??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks