What's new

BOSE for my HT (1 Viewer)

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a 51. system with small "cube" style speakers. My wife will not go for towers or even bookshelf sized speakers in our tv room. I went and checked out the BOSE acustimass 15 speaker set. I was impressed with the sound and size, but not the price. So I have 2 questions:
1> does anyone have any ideas about other "cube" style speakers that would sound good but cost less?
2> Any sugestions on a 5.1 receiver to drive these "cubes"? I dont need a monster power amp, just good clean power.
my T.V. room is 12 by 14 feet if that helps.
Thanks in advance

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Jason,
DO NOT look at Bose speakers any longer...you will save money and get a better performing package if you look elsewhere.
By the way, welcom to the forum :)
On the top of the screen on the forum you will see a search button...search for Bose and you'll understand what I'm saying
There are a bunch of options that include small speakers to appease the spouse or girlfriend...when you search, you'll see the alternatives.
Good Luck
Jer

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Look at the Energy Take 5s. Small speakers at an affordable price. Your wife should be happy with them.
------------------
-Jeffrey Forner

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
FORGET IT!
You and your wife should take a serious look at the Definitive Technology ProCinema 100.6 set.
PC100sm.jpg

ProCinema
$1,349
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Equipment List

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Or if you want to go on the cheap
blush.gif
you can go with Sony's SAV-E series.
The lower end version is only Cdn$400 and the higher end version is Cdn$600 (both prices MSRP, and WILL be much cheaper in the USA)

FilipM

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I reccomend the Energy Take5 set as well. IIRC they run about $800 for 4 satelites and a center plus an 8 inch powered subwoofer. I had these since they first came out several years ago and they do a great job on movies. Though they arent all that great for music they are still better than anything BOSE. They are perfect for your room size. As for receivers look for any of the lower cost Dennon, Onkyo, or Pioneer units, or go online and look at the Outlaw receiver which is supposed to be very good.
Please resist the BOSE garbage, they really are horrible and as you said overpriced.
Have fun trying these out!
Filip

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
For the love of God don't buy BOSE! As Ebert and Roeper would say-
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

They are absolutely not worth the price. A rip off to end all rip offs.
If you have to have small speakers then in the reasonable price catagory one model to look at is the PSB Alpha A/V. A fairly small bookshelf with very big sound. Stereophile magazine loves them.
Another very decent small speaker is the Acoustic Energy Aegis One. My neighbors have a pair being used as the rear speakers in an all Acoustic Energy Aegis set-up and they've got a fairly rounded sound too for the size.
Others to look at are the Paradigm or Tannoy line of bookshelfs. Or even NHT.
Mini itty-bity speakers like the BOSE have a tough time of it when you need to pump sound at movie volume. The laws of physics are against them. Your wife needs to understand this and allow for at least small bookshelfs.
With any bookshelf system, you will need to augement with a subwoofer or very possibly multiple subs. Try SVS. Very good performance for the money.
Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

Eddie Peavey

Auditioning
I don't know if you will be able to do this, but you can take a look at the in-wall models that a lot of brands put out. Like I said, don't know if you can do this due to not wanting to put holes in wall ect..., but its another idea. I guess you could even make some sort of fake wall, or something like that were you wouldn't have to do anything to the existing wall.

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!
Now thats what I call response!
smiley_jawdrop.gif

Thanks to you all for helping me out.
I found some info on the energy take 5s.
They look nice, small, and recomended. However
I only found one place that sells them online.
I know I won't be able to find them in my neck
of the woods. Any help with online stores that would
have them? Again thanks to you all for your input!

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
If you thought they sounded good, buy the Bose. Your wife will love you for it. When aesthetics are the primary consideration, it's hard to make a rational "sonic" recommendation.
Now if sonic considerations can be injected into the argument and you can get your wife to bend just a bit, check out: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Serie...ID=15&SpecID=1
Both the System 8000 and especially the System 9000 are way better than the Bose and cheaper too.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Along with Energy Take 5, I would also recommend that you look at Home Theater Direct. I have owned the Take 5 and have listened to a friends HTD package and for the money, I would go HTD. The Level 1 speaker package is only $199 including the sub. I would opt for the Level III center and drop the sub all together, but for the money this is the way I would go.
Good luck,
Jeff Aguilar

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,
Its too bad your wife wont allow bookshelf or tower speakers. Is it possible to get rid of your wife easily, like sell her on ebay, or upgrade for a new one? This is much more preferred by HT Forum members than Bose.
Rajiv...
:)

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Bose... I'm selling some bose AMS5's... ready to ship.. since I dont know you..I guess I dont mind selling them to ya :)
But.....and I say but.... Forget the bose. My $24 a speaker Radio Shack speakers sound better than Bose...
So heed this Forums warnings..and dont be suckered into the "Bose" Black hole!!!
Good luck...good hunting
Boston Accustics has a nice set out now also... food for thought
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Jason,
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001831.html
Check out the hardware for sale area, there is a Energy Take 5 setup for sale there fora great price. I believe $260, This plus a basic DD reciever and your doing much better than the Bose system and for much less $$$
Earle
------------------
Reciever: Denon AVR3200
Speakers: Klipsch KG4.2's/KG2.2v/KSB 3.1's/SVS 20-39's
Amps: B&K Ref 4022(mains)/Fidek 600 watt(subs)
DVD: Toshiba 3109
TV: Sony 32" monitor
A pair of Aura Bass Shakers

Amit Patel

Agent
I have a Bose AM 15 speakers with Power sub with sony STR-DA555ES receiver, I am happy with the Bose speakers. I noticed most forum friends do not like Bose, they have some kind of vengeance with Bose speakers. Do not believe someone who has just heard about Bose and have not experienced or own it. I do believe that newer model like AM 15 with Power sub are good speakers, I know this because I own it, if you happen to be in the Bowie, MD areas, feel free to experience it bring your favorite DVD and experience yourself.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Bose cubes are far and away much too expensive for what you get. If they were $100 for the whole set, then maybe they'd be okay... but, $1,200 or more?? Talk about snake oil salesmen!
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks