What's new

Pre-Order Bohemian Rhapsody (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81EamcwG3CL._SX522_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was really hyped for this biopic but I have been reading rather negative reviews -- mainly about the movie being dumbed down for a PG-13 rating and getting a lot of the music history timeline mixed up.

Can't believe the studio took what could have been a really hardcore rock band story and instead softened it up.

...but then again, I have yet to personally see this film.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I thought the film was thoroughly entertaining. In a way, it is similar to the musician biopics that MGM made in its heyday - the timelines may be wrong, and the sexuality may not be explicit enough for everyone's tastes, but it features great performances (yet another unrecognizable performance by Mike Myers) and of course great music. See it at a theater with a good sound system, like DC's Uptown.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I thought the film was thoroughly entertaining. In a way, it is similar to the musician biopics that MGM made in its heyday - the timelines may be wrong, and the sexuality may not be explicit enough for everyone's tastes, but it features great performances (yet another unrecognizable performance by Mike Myers) and of course great music. See it at a theater with a good sound system, like DC's Uptown.

Agreed! HUGE Queen fan here: saw them in ‘80, ‘82 and ‘06 (
with Paul Rodgers) and Brian’s solo tour in the mid ‘90s. Yes, the musical timeline isn’t accurate and there are artistic liberties taken for the sake of drama. But some moments gave me chills, a few tears and smiles. Remi Malek and Gwylim Lee (Brian May) are so good it’s scary.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I also saw it, and “dumbed down” isn’t accurate. It was fantastic! Rami Malek deserves the Oscar. Even thought the timeline wasn’t accurate, I thought the whole thing was amazing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got to see it, and I must say, it was pretty darn good. The recreation of the Live Aid concert was so spot-on, when I compared it to the actual concert on YouTube it was pretty much a mirror of the film. Astonishing that they were able to do that. It was an excellent film despite the inaccuracies.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I got to see it, and I must say, it was pretty darn good. The recreation of the Live Aid concert was so spot-on, when I compared it to the actual concert on YouTube it was pretty much a mirror of the film. Astonishing that they were able to do that. It was an excellent film despite the inaccuracies.

It’s interesting that they made the Live Aid sequence so accurate (I heard right down to the placement of the cups on Freddie’s piano) yet so many other storylines are dramatized or downright fictional!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm seeing it today. The inaccuracies of such biopics usually don't bother me so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, despite historical/chronological inaccuracies. The essential story is there, and what we have is a joyful celebration of a very important rock band and the extremely talented yet lonely man who was at its center. Rami Malek's performance is astounding. As for the vocal numbers, I have never, ever seen such masterful lip-synching work by an actor. And this film definitely deserves an Oscar nomination--if not the award itself--for sound mixing.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me

A bit of the how the did it stuff.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...-created-queens-epic-live-aid-set/1845037002/

Interesting note about the movie vs. real life:

"Unsure how much time he has left, the ailing Mercury agrees to do the show and make amends with his former bandmates, whom he alienated when he left Queen to pursue a solo career. (In reality, Mercury hadn't yet been diagnosed, and the band was still together.)"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Despite the inaccuracies, I thought the film was outstanding. One of the best films I've seen this year. I was a casual fan of their music which means I liked certain songs more so than some others they produced so I'm not really aware of the inaccuracies of their exact storyline. I figured half of my movie audience based on age and stuff are in the same boat as I in which we're not diehard fans. This movie made $50M this past weekend. You have to figure a bunch of crossover patrons were part of that box office. Hell, I might see it again because the Dolby Atmos was tremendous. I remembered watching Live Aid at home so seeing the reenactment of the concert did bring back some memories of it. God, he was a great performer as lead singer of one of the most influential bands in rock music. My favorite Queen song is "Under Pressure" with David Bowie. I can listen to that song ten times in a row.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Interesting that in the movie they're playing Rick James "Super Freak" in a party scene and a vision of MC Hammer popped into my head.;)

I read a comment somewhere online that confused "Superfreak" with "U Can't Touch This" and therefore complained about yet another timeline error in the film. LOL

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, despite historical/chronological inaccuracies. The essential story is there, and what we have is a joyful celebration of a very important rock band and the extremely talented yet lonely man who was at its center. Rami Malek's performance is astounding. As for the vocal numbers, I have never, ever seen such masterful lip-synching work by an actor. And this film definitely deserves an Oscar nomination--if not the award itself--for sound mixing.
Agreed!! (And one for Rami Malek.)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Despite the inaccuracies, I thought the film was outstanding. One of the best films I've seen this year. I was a casual fan of their music which means I liked certain songs more so than some others they produced so I'm not really aware of the inaccuracies of their exact storyline. I figured half of my movie audience based on age and stuff are in the same boat as I in which we're not diehard fans. This movie made $50M this past weekend. You have to figure a bunch of crossover patrons were part of that box office. Hell, I might see it again because the Dolby Atmos was tremendous. I remembered watching Live Aid at home so seeing the reenactment of the concert did bring back some memories of it. God, he was a great performer as lead singer of one of the most influential bands in rock music. My favorite Queen song is "Under Pressure" with David Bowie. I can listen to that song ten times in a row.
My favourite too!

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Saw this yesterday in London. It’s a terrific film. I think they took a few too many dramatic licences regarding the chronology of events, as mentioned above, but otherwise it’s great.

Malek is sensational and as for “Brian May”, I swear they borrowed a time machine and brought the real one back from the Seventies.

From a British point of view, I spotted a few Americanisms that probably wouldn’t have been said by Brits at the time. Eg. Counter-clockwise as opposed to anti-clockwise. And the kid from Jurassic Park had a spot-on accent apart from one line towards the end where he lost is. But these are minor quibbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks