What's new

BMW films on DVD info (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Brian-
I concur, I cringe too at college kids with brand new 330's that were given to them by their parents. I earned my car.
I took my car recently on Highway 9 up the Santa Cruz hills and I had a blast pushing it on the twisties. It was pretty hairy there as the roads are pretty narrow. I also had a fun time going up from San Simeon up Highway 1 along the coast to Monterey.
Sorry for not speaking about DVD software here.
The films may be called glorified commercials, but there are a couple of fun ones from the film great Frankenhiemer and the young upstart Guy Richie. I liked both. They were from one end of the spectrum to the other.
Nelson

Wes Bolton

Auditioning
Sorry to butt in now, I just saw the thread.
I enjoyed the films too and thought the movies were much more than a commercial. I can't wait for the DVD in the mail. Clive Owen matched the part well, would be cool as the next James Bond. I've wondered if the BMW did these movies since they are not going to be featured in the next Bond (Aston Martin reclaimed it). The Ang Lee, Frankenheimer, and Madonna's boyfriend one, are my favorites.
Anyway, I agree with the post about earning your car. I saw a couple 330's the other day and two M3's that two college co-ed's were driving. Made my stomach just turn. Oh well, I guess I'm just jealous.
wink.gif
Still was nice to see some blonde in 2001 M3 convertible, but I won't go there.
I test-drove my first 325i in college and swore that one day I would own one. Now it's only 5 years later and there's a Steel Gray 330i sitting in my garage! I love driving the hell out of it. It's the perfect combination of luxury and sport. I don't care how bad the day has been, it always makes me feel better, getting behind the wheel and taking the long road home. It's not about point A to B. It's about forgetting B. Link Removed
Question for Dave:
On your website, you state you've measured the 0-60 on the Gtech. How accurate is it, and do you like it (worth the $$)?
-Wes
The good (& sad & good again) pics of my 2001 330i
[Edited last by Wes Bolton on October 18, 2001 at 11:39 AM]

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
When's the last time anyone wanted to pay money for a copy of a commercial?
There are many commercials I would pay (a small amount) to have on DVD, namely some of the Budweiser True commercials (Wazzup, Alien wazzup, What are YOU doing?, What are you DOING?, etc.)
I wish there was a site where you could create your own DVD with various commercials. Adcritic.com is a cool site, but the quality is only Quicktime and not all commercials can be found there (I'm still trying to find the Budweiser one where Chad tries to pick up women in a bar.)

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Wes,
The G-Tech is pretty accurate (they claim to within 0.1s for the 0-60 time). Difficult to know, of course, how close it really is, but my 6.52s 0-60 is right around the believeable level for a 2000 328ci.
The reason I haven't retested lately (that time was achieved right after engine break-in, in warm conditions) is that the damn thing is so much fun somebody at work has walked off with it. I think it was worth the money, then again I just spent the same amount on one Japanese DVD box set so what do I know
smile.gif

------------------
Dave Smith
http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Wow, okay guys, whatever you say. Would you by any chance, be the same people who go out to the movies and enjoy watching Coca-Cola ads on the big screen before the trailers?
smile.gif

This is just the kind of thing that leads to commercials on standard movie dvd's. Hollywood will catch on to folks actually paying money for these promo items and they'll start forcing us to watch them on their major title dvd's. Hell, they're already doing it at the movie theater, what's to stop them from putting them on the discs? (ala the famous Disney forced promos) Hollywood is greedy folks, and they'll take money from advertisers in exchange for commercials on dvd's.
That's why I'd be willing to trade mine instead of sell it.
For whoever is interested, I'll post in the For Sale/Trade area for the best offer.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Some of the comments above about how some people haven't earned their BMW made me remember something I saw about two months ago. I was driving down the road and came upon a white BMW 3-series (current generation) slowing down to make a right turn. I was in the straight lane. As I got closer to it, I noticed it had the M badge on the back, and I thought cool! The first new M3 I had seen on the streets. But as I passed it, I noticed something odd about it, which took me a second to realize what it was. The car was missing the little vents on the front fenders behind the top of the wheel arch. Every M3 has these; every non-M3 does not. Whoever this guy was, he put an M3 badge on his car, I guess to impress people who wouldn't know how to tell the difference. How sad.
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
jjr512-genome-logo1.jpg

Join our Genome@home Team! (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,
I see that very same thing all the time. The problem with their thinking is that they aren't fooling anyone. The only people who would know what the "///M" stands for would be able to tell a genuine from a fake...
By the way, I own the first generation ///M3 (1988)
smile.gif
If anyone would like to see some pictures of it, go here:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Lane F. on October 19, 2001 at 12:47 AM]

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
FYI...I work at Circuit City, and have noticed a that if you buy a Sony DVD player you can get a free copy in the mail from Sony.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In my last post, I said that I was willing to pay for additional copies of the DVD as a jesture to BMW that I wasn't trying to horde or get more copies for free. I don't think anyone has actually paid money for these discs. BMW made an offer to me and other BMW owners to recieve a complimentary copy of the DVD if they desired. Once I get mine, I'll be a happy BMW guy!
I'm reading that others got free copies at racing venues where BMW has a booth and several of you got free copies in your Vanity Faire subscription issues. So lets not get out of hand here and assume BMW is selling commercials!
smile.gif

I also should say that I didn't mean to belittle those who were so fortunate to get a BMW from their parents at such a young age. They are very lucky! I hope they apppreciate what they have. A very fine automobile, as well as appreciate that they are so lucky to be living in a society as rich as ours that can afford to do this. Okay, preaching over.

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
So what if the BMW films are glorified commercials (which I don't personally agree with), product placement is now standard operating procedure in Hollywood, so let's not act like film is some pristine art form that has never been sullied by the interests of big business. As a car guy, I love films about cars and I love BMWs, so if BMW wants to commission "movercials" with exciting filmmakers and great chase sequences, isn't it a win-win situation? Wouldn't it be great if all companies put this much thought into their regular commercials? Maybe then, I wouldn't have to suffer through that 1-800-COLLECT or Old Navy garbage ... oh crap that reminds me - I have to call my mom and buy some cargo pants!
Brian
P.S. The "car ballet" in Ang Lee's BMW short transcends any commercial connections it might have - it is quite simply beautiful.
P.P.S. My favorite car commercial would have to be Acura's "Engineering is our art/The street is our canvas" that came out a few years ago with the CART car doing donuts and some cool in-cylinder combustion shots. I'm especially partial to it because I was studying mechanical engineering at the time and quoted in my sig while I was still in school. Anyone remember that one?
P.P.P.S. Does anyone have an email address or link for us non-BMW owners to request a copy of the DVD in question?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Another FYI-
My co-worker, who does not drive a BMW, an Audi, went to his local BMW dealer and got the DVD there. It was free. I just looked at it, not watched it, and it looks to contain all 5 films. This would seem to be contrary to other reports that one of the films will not be included.
Looks exciting as it said it contained directors extended versions too.
I'll stop by the dealer where I got my car and see if they have any.
Nelson

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
I just stopped by Alison BMW in Mountain View, CA and they didn't know anything about a DVD, claiming that you can only see the movies online.
angry.gif
They could have lied to me however, believing me to be some punk kid who could never afford to purchase one of Bavaria's finest.
Nelson, where was your friend able to get his DVD?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Brian-
That's really lame about Alison. I've been there and they seem like a reputable dealer that's got it's act together. They shouldn't have treated you like that, if that was the case.
I stopped by Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo and saw the salesman who sold me my car. He pulled the DVD out of his drawer and gave me one.
Maybe supplies are limited and they are giving them to customers and those who made an order.
Keep trying! Good luck.
Nelson

Kelly W

Second Unit
After repeated phone calls, emails, and a visit to my local BMW dealer, I finally was able to obtain one of the DVD's of The Hire. My copy was mailed to me by the dealer because they were out of them when I stopped by.

Is there really a version of this disc which contains The Follow?

I was really excited when I got the disc because on the outside it looks like (even implies that) it contains all five films, but on the inside of the package it states "The Follow is not available on this DVD. Please visit bmwfilms.com to view this film."

If I select the film from the disc's menu, it says that due to contractual obligations, BMW cannot offer the film on DVD.

Based on this statement, there shouldn't be ANY disc containing The Follow, but others here have said that their discs have it.

Does anybody have a copy of this DVD with The Follow, and if so, where did you get it? (e.g., dealer, website, customer service phone number, etc.)

Thanks!!!

-Kelly

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
My disc has "The Follow". I believe others have stated the same. I got mine by emailing the webmaster.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've watched my BMW dvd and it did include The Follow. I got it by emailing the BMWfilms website.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
How long has it taken everyone to get their DVD (from order to mailbox)?
I stopped by the dealer, they hadn't even heard of them nor did they think they could get some.
I called the telephone number and have waited 4 months so far.
I emailed the website and said they would forward my request in 2 to 4 weeks. No word on when I would actually receive the DVD.
:angry:

Kelly W

Second Unit
Two more questions:

1. When you guys say you emailed the website, did you just fill out that customer service web-based form or did you send an email to an actual email address?

2. Is there any way to tell whether the DVD has all five films on it by looking at the package? Before opening mine, I would have sworn that The Follow was on it.

Thanks again!!!

BTW, I phoned BMW at the end of October and again in the middle of November to request the disc, but never received anything from them. Curiously, both times they said I would receive it "within a week".

-Kelly

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I recall another discussion where early copies of this dvd did not contain The Follow. Whatever contractual obligations that might have been in place then have since been erased.
Ty, to be more specific, I visited the BMWfilms website, not the BMW website. At www.bmwfilms.com I emailed the site representative in the help section about my interest, he emailed me back for my physical address, and voila.
Hope this helps more.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
At the bottom of the front cover reads, "A Series of Short Films Directed by John Frankenheimer / Ang Lee / Wong Kar-Wai / Guy Ritchie / Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu"

Wong Kar-Wai directs The Follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks